3 Galaxy Trucker
4 Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension
5 Splendor
6 Deep Sea Adventure
7 Sheriff of Nottingham
8 Mysterium
9 Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
10 Istanbul

Not necessarily the list I would have come up with unaided, but not a bad effort.

I have a lot of games, so some of them kinda “duplicate” other games in one or more ways. I’m too tired to do what I’m supposed to be doing and not quite in the mood to do what I want to be doing, so I made a category-based list to get a less ephemeral sense of this and how much of a problem it is or isn’t. My categories were loose and themselves had overlap and only some of them sound like the canonical genres but if feels like an accurate representation of how I think about my games.

The reason I’m here, though, is because once I was done with that I had a bunch of leftover games that didn’t really fit anywhere. Not because they couldn’t be reasonably given a label that other games had been given or because they seem immediately weird to me (well, Sidibaba and Tragedy Looper are immediately weird), but they just never really found a home and once I’d chunked everything they didn’t really slot into any of the chunks that included at least one other game in my collection. I thought this might be a fun list to share even if it’s a bit off topic. Also it’s almost a list of ten.

So here they are, my collection’s weird little games.

• Cosmic Encounter
  • Dogs of War
  • Hand of the King
  • Mage Knight
  • Twilight Imperium
  • …and then we held hands
  • Ladies and Gentlemen
  • Mammut
  • Sidibaba
  • Tradgedy Looper
  • The Great Dinosaur Rush
  • Archipelago

Yes. Yes, you do have to nab it. Don’t even think about it. Just do it.

I have around 10 games in my collection actually, so my top 10 looks like:

1. Magic the gathering
  2. Pandemic Legacy
  3. Forbidden Stars
  4. Smog: on her majesty’s secret service
  5. Forbidden Island
  6. Pandemic Cthulhu
  7. Sherlock Holmes consulting detective
  8. Carcassonne
  9. Magic the gathering skirmish game
  10. Guillotine

Actually, while going through my games, it turns out i had 13 games. So a honourable mention for Mahjong,Twist of Fate and Penguins.

I end up getting a little jelly when I read other people’s top 10 lists, 'cuz my list has some pretty dodgy games on there too.

In any order

Hives
7 wonders duel
El Grande
Inis
Blood rage
Sekigahara
Jaipur

I don’t know, allowing for personal preference and all, I’d say at least 8 out of 10 of those are really solid titles. the MtG skirmish game (arena of the planeswalkers), might be a little more a niche favorite, but I really enjoy it, and Guillotine maybe is on the much lighter side of the gaming world. All in all though, quality games.

Yeah, I agree with @sdfostj85 — you might not have “the ten best games ever created” but it looks like you have “ten games that can provide solid entertainment” and there’s nothing to complain about about that! (Ok, I did just sell my copy of Guillotine, but it was with some hesitation. You could definitely do worse.)

That makes me want to have a list of games I’m mildly embarrassed to own. I’m no fan of nerd shaming (telling someone the thing they like isn’t good), but in a collection that has some real gems, I also have some real C-Listers in terms of gaming pedigree.

I never really thought about it like that really… cheers! My games collection just expanded with zombicide Black Plague and dogs of war tho… I’m gonna have to try em out to see where they’d rank for me!

Hummm top 10 games that I own.

1. Terra Mystica
  2. 30 Seconds
  3. Stone Age
  4. Imperial Settlers
  5. Chaos in the Old World
  6. Werewolf
  7. Merchants and Marauders
  8. Camel UP
  9. Splendor
  10. King of Tokyo

And top 10 games I want to buy as soon as I got loads of moneys :wink:

1. Concordia
  2. El Grande (Big Box)
  3. Star Wars Rebellion
  4. Voyages of Marco Polo
  5. Lancaster (Big Box)
  6. Isle of Skye
  7. Robinson Crusoe adventures on the cursed island
  8. Mechs vs Minions
  9. Kehmet
  10. Sherrif of Nothingham

1. TIME Stories
  2. Pandemic Legacy
  3. Summoner Wars
  4. Seafall
  5. Blood Rage
  6. Risk Legacy
  7. Spyfall
  8. Telestrations
  9. Sheriff of Nottingham
  10. Ashes: Rise of The Phoenixborn

You probably notice I REALLY like Legacy/one shot games. It’s my jam.

1. Cosmic Encounter - Funny, breezy, lots of betrayals and take that
  2. X-Wing Miniatures Game - Flawless design, tense and satisfying, I am not the kind of guy to get into tournament scenes but this game is too good not to get involved
  3. Codenames - Engages all of my friends, entertains a crowd of 6-10 people easily for hours
  4. Game of Thrones Board Game (2nd Edition) - Best “Dudes on a Map” game, theme and mechanics are perfect.
  5. Castles of Burgundy - My favourite game to play with my other half
  6. Secret Hitler - Best social deduction game I have, it has usurped Avalon
  7. Dead of Winter - Love the tension and constant suspicion this game creates
  8. Karuba - light, satisfying, fun, I love pulling this game out.
  9. Formula D - Only played a couple of times so may get bored but this is just great fun, everyone gets it immediately and has a blast
  10. Mysterium - Can play with anyone, being the ghost is stressful, being an investigator is chilled and it invites a really nice cooperative atmosphere.

1. Orléans (especially with the Invasion expansion)
  2. Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War
  3. Amerigo
  4. Champions of Midgard
  5. Jaipur
  6. Isle of Skye
  7. Pillars of the Earth
  8. 1812: The Invasion of Canada
  9. Die Säulen von Venedig
  10. Yspahan
    ahem
  11. The Gallerist
  12. Kanban: Automotive Revolution

In the collection and still not played but excited about finally getting the chance:

1. Fields of Arle
  2. Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm
  3. CO2
  4. Dungeon Petz
  5. Legends of Andor
  6. Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
  7. Honshu
  8. The Front Nine
  9. Volldampf
  10. Walnut Grove
  11. Ticket to Ride: The Heart of Africa
  12. Thurn und Taxis

(Top dozen because I’m a massive stick-in-the-mud and still think in feet and inches… that’s my story and I’m sticking to it)

I’ll chime in as well. I used the Board Game Ranking Engine and here’s what I came up with:

1. Cosmic Encounter
  2. Chaos in the Old World
  3. Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
  4. Blood Rage
  5. Scythe
  6. Glory to Rome
  7. Terra Mystica
  8. Arcadia Quest
  9. Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
  10. Santorini

Part of me wholeheartedly agrees with this list and the other part of me struggles with what’s not in the list. In particular, I feel like Kemet should have ended up higher, but I guess I chose the other game more often when ranking my collection. Still, if my collection was reduced to this list, I’d likely be pretty happy, but I’d be missing games like Kemet, Race for the Galaxy, Merchants & Marauders, Food Chain Magnate, War of the Ring, Inis, Great Western Trail, and on and on…

Let’s give it a go.

1. Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers
  2. Castles of Mad King Ludwig/ Suburbia (Depending on my mood these would be interchangeable as 2 and 3, so I’m just going to list them together)
  3. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
  4. Inis
  5. A Few Acres of Snow
  6. Codenames
  7. A Game of Thrones: The Board Game
  8. The Bloody Inn
  9. Jaipur
  10. Fury of Dracula

There are some notable games that would place very high on my list if I owned them, such as Mysterium and Cosmic Encounter, but I gifted both of those to a close friend, so I can’t really justify also owning my own copies.

Yesterday, I tried that board game ranking engine. Going through that process made it very clear that it’s hard to define “better”: do I rank games by which game I’d probably prefer playing on any given day? By which game provides the most fun? By which game I’d be most likely to recommend to someone? By which game I think is the best design? These all give different answers!

Also, when it asked me questions like "Which is better, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective or Sushi Go!, I just blinked and thought, “How do you even answer that?”

The results it gave me:

1. The Castles Of Burgundy
  2. The Grizzled
  3. Street Soccer
  4. Witness
  5. Codenames
  6. Arboretum
  7. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
  8. Cockroach Poker
  9. A Fake Artist Goes To New York
  10. Hamsterrolle

For comparison, here’s my original “hand-made” list (numbers in brackets are where that game landed in the engine-generated list):

1. The Castles Of Burgundy (1)
  2. A Fake Artist Goes To New York (9)
  3. The Grizzled (2)
  4. Codenames (5)
  5. Witness (4)
  6. Innovation (22) (!!!)
  7. Hamsterrolle (10)
  8. Arboretum (6)
  9. Street Soccer (3)
  10. For Sale! (11)

No dramatic changes, other than I don’t know what happened with Innovation! (There was one question where I clumsily voted without even reading the games I was voting for; perhaps I accidentally said “Risk is better than Innovation” or something and threw off the rankings?)

Still new to board games, but here’s a tentative list anyway.

1. Escape: Curse of the Temple
  2. Pandemic Legacy
  3. Skull
  4. Ghost Stories
  5. Sushi Go Party!
  6. Evolution: The Beginning
  7. Netrunner
  8. Junk Art
  9. Funemployed
  10. Captain Sonar

1. Cosmic Encounter
  2. Space Cadets: Away Missions
  3. King of Tokyo
  4. Codenames
  5. Pandemic
  6. Catacombs 3rd Edition
  7. Blood Rage
  8. Small World
  9. Aeon’s End
  10. Snit’s Revenge
    Nothing shocking, no dark horses, except for maybe #10, which was the first “hobby” board game I ever played. I would argue that my sporadic 40-year journey through the world of board games has been largely motivated by my desire to recapture the initial thrill of my immersion in this silly, simple, deeply flawed, but totally charming game.

Hello! I am new to the forums (I just posted in the introduction thread). The community is so friendly here I decided that I want to contribute! My top ten ebbs and flows a bit, but here is the current version (with several honorable mentions that on any given day might be in the top ten).

1. Cosmic Encounter - I really like the infinite variability, role-playing your alien, and negotiating.
  2. Mysterium - An all around perfect game. I love the way everything works together.
  3. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - unlike anything else I’ve played, totally immersive and super fun.
  4. Hanabi - a fun puzzle my wife and I really enjoy playing two player
  5. Sheriff of Nottingham - I love the way you can role play your character, the bluffing, and the negotiation.
  6. Love Letter - (specifically the Kanai Factory Edition because I like the art better)
  7. Animal Upon Animal - I love stacking games
  8. Mice and Mystics - my kids favorite game
  9. Jaipur - my favorite two player card game
  10. One Night Ultimate Werewolf - my favorite “party game”

Honorable mentions:
Castle of Burgundy - my Euro of choice
Istanbul and Concordia
Jungle Speed - amazingly fun
Junk Art - my newest stacking game. It is quickly climbing it’s way to my favorite stacking game, possibly taking Animal Upon Animal’s spot in my top ten.
Parade - another fantastic card game
Codenames (pictures and standard)
Crossing - so simple, so fun
Dancing eggs - ridiculously fun
For Sale
Escape the curse of the temple
X-Wing Miniatures
For Sale
Galaxy Trucker
Klask
Insider
Lost Cities
Schotten Totten
Rhino Hero
Skull
Witness
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Oh boy. I now have to squeeze Super Motherload and Legends of Andor into my (increasingly inaccurately named) Top Ten.