Home Videos Games Podcastle

Top 10 Games - A Comprehensive List for Everyone

I’m lazy, so here is my top 6.

#6 One Night Ultimate Werewolf. I love lieing my friends in their faces! I’ve had so many fun times with this. Our group loves hidden roles, bluffing, be-a-cock games, and ONUW rules them all.

#5 Smallworld. This was the first “new” board game that the cat (me) dragged in after watching Wil Weaton on Tabletop. The artwork is beautiful, the rules are simple and there’s so many possibilities thanks to the different combinations of races and abilities. It does not hit the table very often, but it nevertheless has a special place in my heart.

#4 K2+Broad Peak. There’s something very satisfying in blocking people from getting into their tents, then stepping over their cold bodies later. And in the game.

#3 Pandemic. This is one brilliant piece of cooperative game design. I don’t think there’s much to say, except that it is so amazing to introduce new people to this game, holding out, not telling them about the epidemic cards until the first appears and then watch as they realize that they will start reinfecting cities.

#2 Archipelago. This has to be, hands down, the most gorgeous game created. Apart from being so beautiful to look at, it…kinda plays like riding a bike that holds together with string. The different mechanics are kinda creaking and you’d expect it to fall apart every second, but somehow it holds together. I think it is very group dependent, but all I have played it with have had a bloody awesome time. I love the smell of pineapples in the morning.

#1 Twilight Motherf*xin’ Imperium 3. I love this game to death. Played it for the first time last autumn, and have gotten it to the table 3 times (6, 5 and 5 player games), and a new evening with 8 players is coming up. It is so ridiculously epic. I’ve had more than a few dreams about TI3. There is nothing more satisfying than getting a few friends together to pummel eachother in outer space for 12 hours straight. This is the game I will take with me to the grave.

1. Dungeon Petz
  2. The Castles of Burgundy
  3. Seasons
  4. Kemet
  5. Xia: Legends of a Drift System
  6. Archipelago
  7. Tzolk’in: The Mayan Calendar
  8. Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
  9. Legendary Encounters
  10. Yedo

I know that this is an incredibly old thread, but I wanted to join in. Also, selfishly, I wanted to bump the thread to see people’s top tens with more recent games being a part of them (and maybe use those to buy more games :slight_smile: ).

1. Pan Leg
  2. Roll for the Galaxy
  3. Monikers
  4. Castles of Burgundy
  5. Lords of Vegas
  6. Cosmic Encounter
  7. Dead of Winter
  8. Mysterium
  9. Arctic Scavengers
  10. Village

Thank you for the thread-necromancy! Always happy to talk about my Top 10. Here’s my original post…

My current list of Top 10 games:

1. Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition (Still)
  2. Galaxy Trucker (Still)
  3. Space Alert (+1)
  4. Eclipse (+1)
  5. Arabian Nights (New)
  6. Saboteur (+1)
  7. Robo Rally (+3)
  8. Rex (New)
  9. Scythe (New)
  10. Shogun (-1)

My love for space operas remains as strong as ever, and there are a lot of games poised to jump into the top 10 or would be in the Top 10 with more playthroughs.

As it is, I haven’t played TI:3 in probably… 5 years?.. and I can’t imagine a situation that would dislodge it from said place. But we will see!

Ooh, I wasn’t around for the original wave, so I’ve nothing to compare this to …

1. Dogs of War
  2. Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
  3. Mysterium
  4. Splendor
  5. Carcassonne
  6. Bring Your Own Book
  7. Celestia
  8. Above and Below
  9. The Bloody Inn
  10. Paperback

There are a fair few games I own that I could see ranking high after more plays. Particularly Inis, which I’ve only played once so far, and that was a bit muddled because it was late and we were all learning.

Although, there are a few in my top 10 which I haven’t played much (Dogs of War, Above and Below, and Paperback), but those few plays were strong enough to make me instantly love them.

I need a more regular opportunity to play longer games!

1. Mansions of Madness 2e
  2. London Dread
  3. Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (and sequels)
  4. Castles of Burgundy
  5. Seafall
  6. Arkham Horror: The Card Game
  7. The Captain is Dead
  8. Terra Mystica
  9. Above and Below
  10. Tokaido

Although I really feel I need a top 20 [edited to add: although the forum software automatically reformats 11-20 as 1-10, maddeningly]:

1. T.I.M.E Stories (and expansions)
  2. Gumshoe
  3. Islebound
  4. Agricola
  5. Monikers
  6. Pandemic Legacy (only placing out of the top 10 because it’s completed)
  7. Codenames
  8. Hive
  9. Eldritch Horror (and expansions)
  10. Witness

Essentially, I love games which tell stories (I don’t get to play as many RPGs as I’d like) and are co-ops or light on direct PvP.

These are in no particular order and could change by the day (but the first in the list, which I love/hate, will always be on it):

• Diplomacy
  • Rifle & Saber
  • Cuba Libre
  • Tactics
  • Fortress America (MB version of course)
  • Shogun (MB Gamemaster)
  • Supremacy (Expanded)
  • Terraforming Mars
  • Dominant Species
  • A Distant Plain

Plus one (so my Top 11): Sekigahara

I was so sad (and slightly financially-relieved) to find out that we were sold out of Sekigahara! It’s definitely on my “I may have to nab this if a copy comes in” list…

I have, however, purchased “Claustrophobia”… was that on your recommendation? I think it was… although now I’m less sure than I was 10 minutes ago.

Argh, I don’t feel like I’ve played enough for a top ten. Here goes…

1. Pan Leg - I hate being such a cliche, but it’s by far the most exhilarating experience of a boardgame.
  2. Roll for the Galaxy
  3. Archipelago
  4. Dogs of War
  5. Study in Emerald 2nd edition
  6. Inis
  7. Suburbia
  8. Codenames
  9. Cosmic Encounter
  10. Diamant

Feel like a few of those would be easily usurped if I got to play more. The bottom 4 are great, but don’t get me excited in any passionate way

That’s pretty incredible how much yours stayed the same.

Monikers is in my top 10 and I have only played it once, but it did so well in such difficult circumstances (people constantly leaving and coming back to the game because they needed to attend to their kids, several people breastfeeding, and a group new to games) that I had to put it in.

Oh hey this is hard!

I’m going to stick to games I actually own (and @Marx09 did say “in their collection”). Here goes:

1. The Castles Of Burgundy. Of all my I-rated-this-a-9-on-BGG games, this is the one that I think is the best game. Solid design, interesting decisions, easier than it should be to teach, and always a success.
  2. A Fake Artist Goes To New York. Absolutely my favourite thing to drop on an unsuspecting group of people. It’s casual, it’s simple, it’s funny, it gets people talking.
  3. The Grizzled. Is this the best co-op ever created? I don’t know! But it’s tense and challenging and evocative and has zero quarterbacking. Everyone loses their first game and immediately wants to try again.
  4. Codenames. Playable with almost any group. I think Fake Artist is faster, funnier, and puts less pressure on people, but Codenames rewards good play more.
  5. Witness. One of the most memorable experiences I’ve been able to provide people at a games table.
  6. Innovation. I don’t know if it’s actually this good, or if I just like it more than it deserves. Swingy and unpredictable, in all the ways that I enjoy, with lots of room for clever plays.
  7. Hamsterrolle. This is my top-10 dexterity game. Junk Art is fun, but Hamsterrolle is more interactive, more tense, more strategic, and more eye-catching.
  8. Arboretum. The game of impossible decisions.
  9. Street Soccer. The best game you’ve never heard of, and the best roll-and-move game I’ve ever played. It feels luck-based, until you realize that your more-experienced opponent is consistently beating you.
  10. For Sale!. A perfect game for new gamers and experienced gamers. Easy to teach, intuitive, fast, interactive, and it’s even got a sense of humour.

Honourable mention goes to Sushi Go!, which I’ve rated higher than For Sale! on BGG, but it got knocked off the list despite that.

Your BGG top 10 vs your personal top 10

I may not know art, but I knows what I likes.
:slight_smile:

Twilight Imperium, Shogun, and Robo Rally have been on my (mental) Top 10 list for… gods… decades? Since 1st edition on TI and Robo Rally, certainly, and from the first game of Shogun. They’ve all gotten better and better with each edition.

Arabian Nights probably SHOULD have been on my list last time, but such is life. I’m not sure either Rex or Scythe will hold their spot for another year or two, but they’re both fantastic games. And Saboteur is just so damn elegant… it’s my favourite “Traitor Mechanic” game, and also the easiest/quickest by an order of magnitude or two.

The top 10 games I most enjoy in my collection (at this very moment) In no particular order:

Mage Wars
Kemet
Game of Thrones
Descent 2nd Ed.
Skull
Cthulhu Wars
Tyrants of the Underdark
Arkham Horror LCG
Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed.
Middle Earth Quest

I believe its fair to say I love conflict and theme. Its hard though, because I would love to own more meaty Euro’s, but mostly I have lighter worker placement games. As it is, I don’t get the heavier conflict based games like TI3 or GoT played very often. Finding opponents who enjoy mental challenge is difficult at times so my collection is thin on some of the more economic/math/engine type games.

If I had a list of games I want to own, but don’t think I can get played it would look like
1 Brass
2 Concordia
3 Sekigahara
4 Shogun
5 Watson & Holmes

I recently used a tool to rank all of my board games, so the resurrection of this thread is well-timed!

Here’s my list:

1. Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 - It’s the best board game experience I’ve had, although I don’t think it’s the best game. Super excited to play S2.
  2. Mansions of Madness: Second Edition - I love all of the FFG Arkham Horror Case File games (see below: Arkham Horror LCG is 12 and Elder Sign is 28) but this one is just so atmospheric and can be creepy or tense at times.
  3. Scythe - There seemed to be so much going on when I was taught this game, but your turns are quite straightforward. I do like the art and components, but I really like the whole Euro thing of building stuff and gathering resources and upgrading your actions.
  4. Eldritch Horror - I like the stories you can create with this game and that it’s surprisingly accessible; I taught someone who doesn’t play board games and she actually had fun in a 7 hour game! :open_mouth:
  5. Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game - This is basically the board game version of The Walking Dead (without the license). I love that everyone behaves like a traitor because of their personal objectives, but someone could actually be a traitor so there is a reason to be suspicious. Game mechanics are not balanced, but it’s not really the point of the game.
  6. Arkham Horror - My roommate’s sister’s boyfriend used to bring board games like Catan and Small World over to our apartment and they never really appealed to me. Then one day he described a game to me like this: “It’s a co-op that’s 4 hours long, really complicated, and you have pretty much no chance to win!” To which I responded, “Tell me more!” One of the key games that got me into the hobby. :slight_smile:
  7. Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) - So we’re currently stalled in our Heirs of Blood campaign because some of the heroes were using the weaker classes and I was kind of running them over as the overlord. :imp: But I really like the system and how spectacular (bad or good) dice rolls can feel so satisfying. I’m keen to try out a Road To Legend app full co-op campaign at some point.
  8. Roll for the Galaxy - I love custom dice and building up my empire. It’s mostly multi-player solitaire, but I love that moment when you reveal your phase strip, then stare at each other and simultaneously say, “I thought you were going to produce!!!”
  9. Runebound (Third Edition) - Silly, mindless adventuring through a generic fantasy universe with a surprisingly fun combat system that uses… pogs. :laughing: I also like being a “hero” who behaves like a total asshole and makes fun of the denizens of the land and sometimes outright steals from them or beats them up.
  10. Mechs vs. Minions - I like programming games, but I got this primarily to play with the kid. The excellent components, artwork and pre-painted minis, along with the professionally produced Radioplay really elevate this game, but the basic gameplay is solid. The legacy-like addition of new skills and game mechanics in each mission works well to slowly introduce complexity.

Apparently I’m really into experiences as they make up 8 out of my top 10 games. I actually really like Euros too even though there aren’t that many in my top 10, I just don’t really have that many people to play them with.

EDIT: Here’s the tool I used: Board Game Ranking Engine

Did you find Mage Wars tough to get into? It’s been sitting on my shelf for over a year (plus two expansions…), but after browsing the rules I was a little discouraged to get it to the table quickly once I find a person willing to be my nemesis.

Also, have you tried Power Grid? That might be a deep but not too inaccessible Euro that suits you.

I’ll definitely need to check out Power Grid then. I’ve of course heard good things, but its less about whether I’ll love it, and more about whether I can get it played. I love games of every stripe and appreciate brain burners and middleweights alike. Not all of my friends can keep up so I have to be selective with intense strategy.

I loved Mage Wars from day 1 and had no trouble grasping it. The problem for me has always been finding at least 1 other person to play with. I think the game rewards experienced players greatly more than most games because unlike a standard card game where the noobie reads 7 cards in hand and picks one, every turn the noobie must look through their entire deck and choose something.

I will say that once I got my GF into it I found that we are able to pick it up for stretches without much trouble at all. As for the rules, those have been revised since they started marketing it as MW - Arena, and I think those were a little more streamlined. I will say that even after long stretches of not playing it I have had no trouble coming back to it. The rules weren’t laid out the best, but they are simple enough once you know them that I rarely ever have to revisit them for more than just looking up a keyword in the glossary.

I love teaching games and part of my job is developing training materials for my employees at work. If you ever wanted a more streamlined rules guide I’d love to put together a 1-2 page guide to jumping into the game that could get you going right away and make it so you only needed the rules as a lookup reference. I like projects, but it won’t hurt my feelings if you want to pass.

Hey, wow, that’s very generous of you!
The problem might be that I’ve got the German version, so I might have problems translating some expressions internally while looking at the rule guide, and I would hate for you to have spent time on something I won’t use because I still can’t find a person to play the game with.
So, thank you very much! But atm I would feel bad for causing you that much work which might be in vain.

These are the games I’d always love to play, though to be honest the two that I can easily play online (chess and Through the Ages) get played the most by far.
My favourite games are big, immersive, endlessly possible to improve at, and tell a story.

Chess (utterly addictive)
Earth Reborn (the best stories)
War of the Ring (a theme I prefer to the cold war)
Through the Ages (the best game design ever)
Caylus (my first love. A perfect Euro game design)
Mage Knight (Vlaada’s kitchen sink game)
Dead of Winter (can be a no-big-deal group win, but there’s always the chance of an amazing experience)

Slightly lower on the list

El Grande (doesn’t get enough love. Brilliant design)
Tzolk’in (best Euro since Caylus)
Avalon (best hidden role game I’ve played)

Also ran

Diplomacy