Home Videos Games Podcastle

Top 10 Games - A Comprehensive List for Everyone

In no order at all, because it was hard enough paring it down to this lot.

The Resistance
Cutthroat Caverns + all the expansions
Letters from Whitechapel
Forbidden Desert
Small World + many expansions
Tash-Kalar
Dead of Winter
Zombicide + many expansions
Resistance
Love Letter

There are a couple of other games I love but I don’t own because other people in the group already them, and I can borrow as required:

Dixit
Takenoko

8. Suburbia is a game I fell in love with the first time I played, but there are a couple of combos that are just game breaking, and it makes it very difficult to stay engaged with the game when someone else manages to get it together

Why not pull those tiles? That’s what I did.

Saboteur Coup Eclipse Game of Thrones Ticket to Ride Castles of Burgundy Twilight Struggle Love Letter Kemet Pueblo (throwing in an obscure one for hipster cred)

So many games, so little time.
Actually…I have all night. So accompanied by a cider (pear of course) and a big pile of games, here are my top 10.

1. Splendor
    Only at number 10 because it hasn’t been in my collection very long - ask me in six months and I’m sure it willbe higher. Easy to teach, easy to pick up, but quite a lot of depth to it. Plus lovely weighted poker chips!

2. Citadels
    I’m a big fan of games with lots of interaction, as will be revealed very soon! Citadels probably doesn’t get to the table as much as it should, as it always goes down well. Hits that sweetspot of ‘yes I know exactly what I’m doOH GOD WHY DID HE TAKE THE ARCHITECT EVERYTHING’S RUINEDoh no actually it’s fine.’

3. Castles of Burgundy
    The obligatory Feld. Just a great, tight game full of strategy and maths. A must for any collection. Lacks the cubes of an Amerigo or Macao, but CHICKENS.

4. The Resistance: Avalon
    One of the first ‘group’ games I got to play with some friendly chaps at the UK Games Expo last year. A great game to introduce to new gamers (and then shout loudly at them) as well as experienced ones, as the logic attempts to kick in. Convincing someone that you are on their side when you aren’t is one of the most satisfying things in board gaming (if you manage to see it through!).

5. Trains
    A great(?) man once said, "Trains is a game where the objective is Trains and the players Trains in every dimensions."
    I don’t really have much to add to that, other than to say that Trains for me is a better deck-builder than Dominion with its added layer of strategy on the board. Another game that is pretty straightforward to grasp but is impressively deep.

6. Skull & Roses
    Or as I like to call it, Bluffy Bluff Bluff. What I love most about this game is that, despite playing hundreds of rounds with the same people, I will STILL fall for the Skull on top of a couple of roses when I’m sure I have my opponent beat. Then we laugh about it, I lose a card, and it all starts again. Just a great, simple, quick game that doesn’t get old.

7. Letters from Whitechapel
    The first time I played as Jack was probably the most tense and exhilarating experience I have had in boardgames. Having three policemen sat opposite discussing THE SPACE I’M SITTING ON whilst I frantically try to look somewhere else was excruciating, but slipping through the net unnoticed gave that instant boost of adrenaline that made it all worth it.
    Yeah, it’s tough playing as the police, but knowing what Jack is going through on the other side of the table makes it all worthwhile.

8. Coup
    More bluffingtons. Coup is one of those games that throws up a different experience each time. Yeah, there will probably be 4 or 5 Dukes in that first round or two, but once the accusations start flying everything goes tits-up pretty quickly. That manic scrabble for 7 coins is one thing…but then who do you choose? Can I trust him to not Coup me if I go for a stronger rival?
    No. The answer is pretty much always no.

9. 7 Wonders
    This game was so close to being number 1. I picked this game up almost by chance, after we sat down to try a game of it at the UKGE in 2013 whilst waiting for another game to be available for a demo. I’m glad that game (can’t remember what it was now!) was full, as it meant we got to try a superb game. The artwork is sublime, the theme is practically dripping off the cards, and the playtime is very reasonable. The mechanic of only being able to trade with your direct neighbours opens up this great little ally minigame, where you are just HOPING he takes the loom otherwise I can’t get that caravansery and SOD IT LET’S GO MILITARY AND CRUSH HIM.
    Brilliant game that I cannot recommend highly enough.

10. Love Letter
    The game I have played more than any other. I imagine we must have racked up thousands of plays of this little card game, and every single round has been entertaining. The depth you get in a miniscule 16-card deck is phenomenal, and whilst there are only ever a quite limited set of actions and plays, the game just doesn’t get boring.
    Little narratives spring up - that time I got ‘Princess’d’ (player played a Guard and accused me of having the Princess, which I did) with the very first play of the game. The dreaded ‘Double Baron’ hand (and my BGG username!). The even more dreaded King-Princess Quandry (finishing the game with the King and the Princess, forcing you to give the Princess, and the win, to your opponent). But all is redeemed if you manage to Carry the Princess (have the Princess as your very first card, and manage to keep her all the way to the final play and win the round).
    Just a brilliant game that you can take anywhere, and teach in a couple of minutes.

I feel bad for leaving out games like Libertalia, Archipelago and Glen More, but them’s the breaks. Phew…time for another cider

1. Ticket to Ride - The master really
  2. Dominion - So elegant and so good.
  3. Love Letter - Probably my most played game EVER.
  4. Cyclades
  5. Lost Cities
  6. Mr. Jack Pocket
  7. Jaipur
  8. Five Tribes
  9. The Adventurers (temple)
  10. King o Tokyo (only relegated to ten because of my inexplicable losing streak IN A GAME OF DICE).

Most of these are the ones that have gotten a few plays with my partner! The ones that get played must be good for some reason I guess.

1. Chaos in the Old World - after 50 plays it’s still the default choice for our game nights. Strong dark theme, great mechanics, excitement, stories, tricks and combos with a crucial die roll here and there
  2. Spartacus - another exciting game. Another one that tells stories. Spartacus is an excellent blend of backstabbing, fragile alliances, auctions, gambling and good old board game violence
  3. Kemet - nothing to say here that wasn’t mentioned in the SUSD review. It’s clever! :wink:
  4. Cyclades - maybe it’s a little less violent, but it’s still tense
  5. Dixit - the partygame/gateway. Works with anyone I know, always
  6. Battlestar Galactica - it needs the right group and some preparation, but when it works, I love it
  7. Descent - again, when it works, it’s beautiful
  8. Pandemic - a refreshing puzzle. Very reliable in cooling people down after a heated game of backstabbing and murder
  9. Gears of War - working on the group’s team spirit in showers of gore
  10. Age of Conan - I haven’t played this one in years, but I remember it was fun, I love the theme and it re-started my collection 5 years ago

I’ve just ordered Cosmic Encounter, so this list will probably change :slight_smile:

Arkham Horror - I can’t think of another game so spirit sucking and sanity draining, truly Lovecraftian in that sense. Love it to bits. My favourite game, a big, glorious, eldritch mess.

War of the Ring - Only a couple of complete games, but oh my. How does a game manage to be so epic and intimate simultaneously? Dripping in theme and faultless mechanics, it’s exquisite stuff. Would love a SU&SD review.

Coup - Completely trumps Mascarade and Love Letter for our group, this is the opener of choice at all our game meetups. The expansion perfects the game.

7 Wonders - the undeniable genius of Antoine Bauzal. Must try the expansions soon.

Mansions of Madness - neither elegant, nor beautiful in design, but gosh it’s tremendous fun. Oppresive as investigators, diabolical as The Keeper.

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - It could be my dodgy memory, but I have no recollection of the solutions for the first few cases. Surely it would be replayable if you give it enough time? It’s stunning.

Ghost Stories - One of the great coops, few games have such an ever mounting sense of dread.

The Resistance: Avalon - it’s just perfect, really… Just wish it had a great app like One Night Werewolf.

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space - terrifyingly tense game.

Carcassonne - so simple and beautiful, best with the first couple of expansions.

Runners up: Skull, Letters from Whitechapel, Cyclades, City of Horror, Galaxy Trucker, Nothing Personal, P.I, Rattus, Jaipur, Dominion.

#1. Terra Mystica

The rest are constantly in flux but include:
Galaxy Trucker
Euphoria
Chinatown
Qwirkle
Dungeon Petz
Eldritch Horror
Dominion
Dixit
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective

Huh! How did I not see this thread after so long?

I must have seen it at some point, and just decided that the futility of selecting my Top 10 board games (…whatever that means) was large enough that I should just block this thread from my consciousness completely, and just carry on with my life oblivious to it.

Only I just happened to notice it today–and realized I needn’t try to establish some sort of Platonic ideal of the best of the best games. Maybe this is a task that’s doable by a mere mortal me!

So, here’s my definition of “Top 10”: these are not necessarily the “best”, most innovative, most influential, or most any other criteria that’s bound to fluctuate wildly based on the minute–these are the games that, when I look inside my game closet, I consistently get the most excited about taking down and putting on the table. The games that most make my gamer heart go pitter-pat. …but keep in mind when I say “consistently”, we’re talking stability based in days instead of minutes, so it’s still not something I’m willing to get tattooed anywhere.

Nearly made it: Shogi–it is by far the best chess-like abstract out there, in my opinion. I sunk some time into learning it with some degree of skill (I’m still not very good), so now there’s always an element of work associated with playing a game, which isn’t always a fun feeling. But, if I had to work at learning a game, it’d be Shogi.

10.Sid Meyer’s Civilization (the good one)–this may be partially my nostalgia for the umpteen hours I sunk into the video games, but the FFG release of Sid Meyer’s Civ is still a favorite. I’ve not played it nearly enough with the expansions, so it may well be as broken as many people claim–but oh well. I’m still teching up to nukes and threatening to flatten your precious humming economic engines. (This slot was nearly the original AH Civilization, which is I think a superior game all in all, but as it takes almost as long as the advent of actual civilization to play–it loses a little bit of luster.)

9.X-Wing Miniatures game–“I can’t shake him! I can’t shake him!” “They came from…behind!” “Get clear Wedge, you can’t do any more good back there!” “He’s switched of his monitor–Luke are you all right?” “I have you now…WHAT?!?” “YEEEEEEEEEHAW!” “You’re all clear kid, now let’s blow this thing and go home!” …I mean, come on. You had fun reading that, you know you’re gonna have fun reliving the iconic move battle scene of our (…or is it “my” already? Ugh…) generation in nerdtacular plastic and cardboard. …Stay on target.

8.Merchants And Marauders–Part of the reason I love games is the puzzle, the strategy, the figuring out how to win–but what I really love is being immersed in a story where I have the power to make things happen, to be a thing I can’t normally be. Yarr, here I be a scurvy skallywag what’s goin’ ta liberate that hold full a sweet tobacco, and there’s naught you bowlegged lubbers can do ta stop me!

7.Wiz-War–It’s chaotic, crazy, more tactical than strategic, but when you dodge a fireball that goes of in your face by morphing into a homunculus and spinning the game board away from your blinking opponent while leaving a cloud of poison gas in your wake–this grandaddy of epic wizard arena battles won’t ever leave my shelf. The slot should probably really go to Mage Wars–but I can play a game (or even two, if people are particularly unlucky) of WW in the time I set up and review the rules of Mage Wars.

6.Talisman–It’s easy to bag on the mechanics, but especially with the right expansions, there’s no better fantasy story generator with a health dose of game hidden inside on the market (at least that I’ve been able to get a hold of–whatever happened to that Prophecy review, SUSD?) You will get stuck in the same corner for 5 turns, you will turn into a toad and lose all of your stuff, you will die–but if you’re not so invested in proving you’re a brainiac mastermind that you can just ride the big messy fantasy wave for an hour or two (if it takes longer and you’re bored STOP PLAYING), it can be a blast. (…play with the Reaper, the Dungeon, and the City, and see the game for the giant wonderful risk/reward exercise that it really is).

5.Risk Legacy–it’s a sham for me to put this in here, really, since my copy sits unplayed on my shelf, waiting for that perfect confluence of people I want to play with to become simultaneously available and interested in playing–but, I have played a couple games with someone else’s set, and it’s truly an experience. I’m one of those people that can see the value in a game of even vanilla Risk (2210 AD and the Revised editions are much better, for sure), but Legacy is an experience of a whole nother order, and I can say that after just two sessions.

4.Cosmic Encounter–I became aware of Cosmic Encounter browsing the boardgame forums on Usenet (…USENET folks! It was the internet before the internet was the internet–for you whippersnappers, imagine if reddit was in monochrome and ascii art). Sadly, it was in that awful gap of time when the Mayfair edition had mostly gone out of print. I halfheartedy tried to track down copies on Ebay or in any comics/game/hobby shop I happened to pass by, but no dice. When the Hasbro reprint was announced, I was ecstatic! And it was fun! Though I was vaguely aware there were a lot of things missing. Eventually I succumbed (succame? …that sounds wrong) and reinvested in the FFG edition and half of the expansions, and couldn’t be happier. Again, you can’t go into a game of CE planning to out-strategize your opponents any more than you can try to logic the person of your dreams into falling in love with you–as a game, it’s equal parts brain and heart, and that’s why I love it.

3.Descent (2nd Ed.)/Imperial Assault–another cheat here, as these are really two different games–but they’re so tightly related that it’s hard to separate them. It might not be perfect, but the system is the current pinnacle of questing/leveling tactical combat game. An adventure in every box, for the intrepid gamer willing to find the time and group to play. Theme is of course different, but then so are different flavors of ice cream, and who doesn’t like ice cream (yes, admit it, even pistachio is good).

2.BattleLore (2nd Ed.)–The more I play it, the more I recognize how clunky the 1st edition was, and how this revision was meant to be. I can’t yet get rid of the predecessor, but once there’s more stuff for 2nd edition, I think it’ll be time. I totally don’t regret spending ten bucks on the app (that’s right, ten whole frivolous semolians…for an app! What’s wrong with me? …BattleLore is awesome, that’s what).

1.Twilight Imperium 3. The Big Daddy. Everything in a box. Epic battles across galaxies. True, I’ve only ever truly played it once, but I’ve been playing it in my dreams for most of my gaming life. If my gaming collection caught on fire, this is the box that I’d jump on and roll around on the ground with first, desperately trying to beat the flames out while little plastic spaceships melted and embedded themselves in my flesh. …okay, not really, I mean it’s only like $70, and I don’t like pain–but metaphorically speaking, I can afford some hyperbole when I’m talking about how much I enjoy Twilight Frickin’ Imperium 3rd edition.

Now don’t get the wrong impression about me–I am an omni-gamer, I’d gladly build imaginary subsistence farms with little wooden blocks, and masticate some delicious point salad offering, and top it all off with a heavy dose of calling you a werewolf (when I’M a werewolf). But, at my hard gaming core, deep in my chest, there beats a heart that sounds less like lub-dub and more the clatter of handfuls of dice, cool plastic minis being tipped over, and improvised explosion sound effects.

…good god, I should see a doctor.

#1: Caylus (the first, and still sleekest, distillation of the multiple paths euro).
#2: Troyes (an amazingly unique approach to design that is both bizarrely different whilst remaining familiar).
#3: Puerto Rico (first middle weight game I discovered)
#4: Pandemic (cleanest and tightest coop design out there).
#5: Trajan (a powerful deterministic euro, this gets on the list for all the reasons other chose Terra Mystica).
#6: Modern Art (player driven valuation at its finest).
#7: Le Havre (multiple paths to victory with an easy to teach player - to - game interface).
#8: Android: Netrunner (self expression through playstyle at its finest).
#9: Roll for the Galaxy (lots of questions to answer).
#10: Yspahan (Dice done right, and introduced to me years before Castles of Burgundy).

Wow, looking at my own list right now, it’s incredibly out of date. I went through my collection lately and realized I don’t enjoy half of these games much anymore. Like Descent, which bored me senseless last time we played. Or Age of Conan, which is longer and less fun than some other similar games I own. Or Netrunner. They’re still good games but not Top Ten material.

Speaking of which, I think Top X lists tend to ask the wrong question. Or perhaps they ask the right question in a wrong way. Why not ask yourself ‘What games are you most excited to play right now?’. That’s it, go wild. You don’t have to think of ten games, you don’t have to stop at ten either. Most of us would run out of steam first, right? I mean, are there really more than ten games you just can’t wait to play again? If we go this way, my personal Top Something would be:

1. Warhammer Diskwars
  2. Chaos in the Old World
  3. Dead of Winter
  4. Blood Bowl: Team Manager (Warhammer fever!)

There. I would gladly play Kemet, Pandemic, Cyclades, throw in some Robinson Crusoe and Spartacus, but these are the games that can wait. The ones I listed - I want to play them right now. What do you think? Top Tens or something less organized?

I like the idea @TriggerItch - these are the ones I want to play this minute:

1. X-Com TBG - Hurry up and arrive so I can touch you. And then possibly play you.
  2. The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game - Preferably with 5 other people and copious alcohol.
  3. Game of Thrones (Second Edition) - See above. Only ever played this with three, and I want the full Westeros experience.
  4. Labyrinth - All I need to do is convince my wife to play.
  5. A Distant Plain - All I need to do is learn the rules properly myself, then convince three other people to play. Then teach them the rules. Then find five hours spare so we can play the damnable thing.

Hmm, this is hard.

#1 - Ghost Stories (love co-ops, this one is difficult, fun and I love the theme too!)
#2 - King of Tokyo (Yep, just dice chucking, yep it’s a hell of a lot of fun still!)
#3 - 7 Wonders (Drafting? Yep, yep, yep. Need to get the latest expansion!)
#4 - Forbidden Desert (Prefer this to pandemic now, just to the fact it’s a little quicker)
#5 - Spyfall (Can I include this?? I’ve played this at least 25 times now via the app, it’s amazing)
#6 - Hanabi (This is just great, it’s so quick, fun and when someone gives a really bad clue it’s hilarious!)
#7 - Coup (It’s coup? It’s cool!)
#8 - Mysterium (I need to play this more, it will be rising up! It’s amazing!)
#9 - Werewolf (Yeah, the regular version, which I learned as mafia. Played this well over 200 times, I’d imagine…and still love playing it!)
#10 Dead of Winter (What’s that Sparky? I should put DOW on the list? Well…if you say so!)

Honourable mentions to Pandemic, which I think Forbidden Desert just replaces, Cosmic - which I don’t own and thus don’t play enough, Survive: Escape from Atlantis, Love Letter and Imperial Settlers which needs more playing time!

Edit: I completely forgot Marvel: Legendary. UM that might replace something. Dunno!

My top ten:

7 Wonders - still popular in our group, and we often teach it to new players (as they did to me). I like that it seems a pretty easy game to play, but still has interesting decisions to make. And plays out so quickly as well.

Ghost Stories - tense, challenging coop game

Incan Gold - just a hugely fun game of push your luck, I always enjoy this

Sushi Go - great introduction to card drafting

Biblios - so quick to play, but so good, I always carry this to meetings

Mysterium - pretty new, but really enjoying this

Ginkgopolis - cool mix of card drafting, city building, area control

Dixit - great fun for anyone, and a nice break from some of the more brain burning games

No Thanks - the best filler game I have. So simple to teach, but so great to play. Everyone should have this.

Istanbul - awesome game

My top ten would be the games I have the most fond memories of playing, but not necessarily the top ten games as far as theme or mechanics goes. So, going in order from oldest to newest:

Clue/Cluedo - as a child my parents, grandmother and I would often play a game in the evenings before I had to go to bed, with Yahtzee, Uno, Aggravation, and Clue as the usual options. Clue was my favorite of the games we played, even though I rarely won.

Fortress America - in high school we had a gaming club and occasionally the teacher in charge would bring out a big game, and of these I think Fortress was my favorite. He would play America and three of us would take the invading armies. He had such a great strategy for playing America that I don’t think we ever beat him, though we came very close a number of times. Axis & Allies was another favorite for me from the gaming club, but FA wins out in my memories.

Talisman - also played this in the gaming club, but I remember it fondly because I ended up purchasing it, and I would take it over to my best friend’s house whenever I spent the night there and we’d play what we considered an alignment tournament. We’d each control one Good, one Neutral, and one Evil character, with the alignments playing as teams and see which one would win. It was always great fun, even when you got turned into a toad.

Hero Quest - my best friend had this game and he’d run it while at the same time play two of the heroes while I played the other two. I would set the overall game plan for the heroes, and he would follow it so that he couldn’t use his knowledge of the adventure to his benefit. We would do the same thing playing D&D where one of us would DM, but each of us had two characters in the adventure, so whoever was not the DM would choose where we go and what we do. This method worked for us in both games, and we had loads of fun.

Magic the Gathering - I was the first in my circle of friends to pick up Magic, a random buy at a game convention I went to, but it quickly seemed to explode from there. This was during the Unlimited edition, so the first cards to have white borders. The first game I played against a friend we decided to play for ante, and I lost my Serra Angel to him, and at the time, I had no idea of the cards value or rarity. Before long, we had kind of a sub-club of our gaming club that was solely Magic related. I eventually stopped playing Magic, preferring the Star Wars CCG by Decipher, but Magic is what started me playing CCG’s and I had a great time playing it.

The Fury of Dracula - another game I played as part of the gaming club, and really one of the first hidden movement games I ever played. This was the original 1987 edition, so I feel there were a few rules that were a bit unclear, but it was still a blast to play. I remember the teacher would play Dracula, and three of us would be the hunters. One game, one of us played a card that reveals Dracula’s location. The teacher put the piece on the board, but then smiled as he played a card that let him teleport away to a different location. The smile quickly faded as that same player laid down another copy of the same card, so we learned Dracula’s new location right away. Good times!

Blood Bowl - one night at college, I went to a local comic store to look around and they were holding a Blood Bowl tournament. I just watched a couple games being played, and quickly knew that this game was something I wanted to own. I managed to get it that summer and introduced it to a few of my friends and pretty soon we had a league of our own going. I think one other person was able to find a copy, as it seemed like it was already out of print (again), but we managed to get opponents together around one board or another. One guy played an Undead team and used D&D miniatures as his figures. He even made little pink jerseys for each player so he could identify them. We also held a Squig tournament, where the ball is replaced by a creature called a Squig. They came in different varieties, too, so a slime squig would be hard to catch or pick up, and I feel like there was one that had a chance to explode… Sadly things had to end, at least on my end, when I went back to college, but eventually the computer game was released and we were able to play a league that way for a while until we just all got too busy to effectively do it anymore. Such a fun game though.

Carcassonne - This was a completely blind purchase. I saw it in a store and it just looked pretty interesting. I got some of my friends to play it and we had a great time. It was my introduction to both tile laying and worker placement games, and though I rarely play it these days, I would never say no to a game of it.

The Betrayal at the House on the Hill - a friend had this game, the Avalon Hill version, and I was amazed at the creativity of the Haunts. I liked the idea of exploring this spooky house and then at any time some weird thing happens and everyone is scrambling to survive. Sure, some of the Haunts are a bit confusing, or completely unfair towards one side or the other depending on when the Haunt is revealed, but I enjoy the randomness of it, never knowing what is going to happen on each play (unless the Crystal Ball is the Haunt revealer, then it’s the damn blob scenario which seemed to happen every other play for a while!!). I picked up the WotC reprint when it became available, though I was sad to see that the Underground Lake tile was no longer on the Upper floor…

Lords of Waterdeep - I haven’t even owned this game for a year yet, but it is special to me because of how much my wife likes it. She is always willing to play it at pretty much any time, and she’s damn good at it too, winning far more often than she loses. Having a game that your spouse is always up for is worth its weight in gold, and I’m thankful to have such a game in my collection.

I have games that I enjoy more than some that I have listed here, but these are certainly some of the most memorable at this point in my life. Ask me again in ten years and I’m sure I’ll have at least half the list swapped out. :smile:

I like this new list idea @TriggerItch ! The main reason it is different from my top ten is that there are games I haven’t played enough (or at all) yet but am excited about trying. Let’s take a look!

Here are my Games I Most Want To Play right this second: (in very rough order)

1. Space Alert
  2. Samurai Spirit
  3. Doomtown
  4. Mage Wars
  5. Sheriff of Notingham
  6. Uggtect
  7. Space Cadets
  8. Space Cadets Dice Duel
  9. Cube Quest
  10. Letters from Whitechapel
  11. Tash-Kalar
  12. Quantum
  13. Dungeon Petz (it has Snakitty!)
  14. Netrunner
  15. X-Wing
    17-- Ok here’s the thing. That leaves out RPGs–I can think of about 10 of those I want to play desperately right now–and I’m still not done being excited yet. I like your list idea, but it doesn’t work if I go until I run out of steam. You underestimate how excited Gwathdring gets about playing games. I want to play most of them right now. When I ask people if they want to play games and they say “Sure, what game?” I usually grab four or five and let them pick one, explaining each of them in a near equally excited sales pitch.

Now, if you ask what games in my collection don’t excite me? That’s an easier and shorter answer.

1. Machi Koro.
  2. Keyflower.
  3. Shadowhunters.
  4. Descent 2nd Edition.
  5. Infiltration.
  6. Yomi (PnP).
  7. Seven Wonders
  8. Tokaido
  9. … actually I think that covers it. These aren’t necessarily games I dislike or games I won’t play again. But if I were to pick the games I’m least interested in playing/trying right now? The games that don’t make me think “Actually I want to play that because X” when I try to think of a game I own that I don’t want to play? Those are the ones that come up. Importantly, Keyflower I haven’t tried yet. Machi Koro I need to request replacement cards for and haven’t tried yet except for my solo dry-run (not why it doesn’t excite me). Tokaido and Seven Wonders I LOVE to play while I’m playing them and they’re easy to get people to the table with and I really, if I’m going on entertainment value or quality of design or any criteria other than pure excitement at mere the idea of playing them, wouldn’t put them on this kind of a List Of Shame.

Taking the list idea by @TriggerItch I get a much smaller list. And the main reason I am anxious to play them is because I have not had the opportunity to do so yet. This is also just a list of games I have available to me, not games that I would like to play but would have to purchase or convince someone else to purchase first.
So, in no particular order

Shadows Over Camelot w/Merlin’s Company expansion
Letters from Whitechapel
Sheriff of Nottingham (should arrive in the mail today or tomorrow)

Runner up goes to Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, which I want to try with a group. I did the first case on my own, but haven’t looked at the answers yet. Heck, since it was a few weeks ago, I don’t even remember all the questions, other than the obvious “Who is the killer?” and also “How can Wiggins make 10 pounds?” So I want to know if I got my answers right, but I want to go through the case with other people and see if they notice things I didn’t.

Taking the list idea by @TriggerItch I get a much smaller list. And the main reason I am anxious to play them is because I have not had the opportunity to do so yet. This is also just a list of games I have available to me, not games that I would like to play but would have to purchase or convince someone else to purchase first. So, in no particular order

Shadows Over Camelot w/Merlin’s Company expansion
Letters from Whitechapel
Sheriff of Nottingham (should arrive in the mail today or tomorrow)

Letters From Whitechapel is incredible - works surprisingly well as a two-player game actually, which I wasn’t sure it would originally. Still great fun in a group though.

I’ve read this thread a fair few times over the last couple o’ months and have never posted, paralyzed by indecision every time. NO MORE. Thanks to @TriggerItch and @clg6000 for doing good l’il posts that tipped me over the edge (in a good way). So this isn’t an entire top ten. I think it’ll be around a top 5, maybe top 4.

My definition of the ‘best’ games that I’ll bang on about here include elements of game art/aesthetic/theme/mechanic/emotion, but more than any of that, are the ‘best’ because they are the games that I consistently, day after day, think ‘goddamn, I really want to get another game of that going…’

So.

1. Risk Legacy - Legacy took an idea that turned an okay(ish) board game into one that is unforgettable. By making it customized, by making consequences carry on for games, by making it allmatter, Risk Legacy will bind your game-group together unlike anything else I’ve come across. It is also precisely for that reason I’d say it was my most recommended game to get any teenage kids/relatives, so they can play it with their friends - in 20 years time, they’ll still remember those games. I also want to play it again, to see how different it can turn out.

2. The Resistance: Avalon - the best lying game I know. Watching people who’ve known each other for 40 years barefacedly lie to their friend’s face is incredible. Watching them get away with it even more so. But, somehow, it’s just as entertaining to drop this game into a group of relative strangers, and watch everyone desperately trying to bargain and convince everyone else - it also makes this game a surprisingly effective way of making friends. It doesn’t drag on long enough for people to get bored, so it always stays tense until the very last moment. I love this game and I never know which is more fun, being the villain or desperately trying to figure out who is.

3. Cosmic Encounter - My favourite game (that I can actually play more than once a year - see No 1). The amount of sheer creativity squeezed into this game (and it’s FIVE expansions) is bonkers. The fact that that creativity is then moulded into a mechanical setup that guarantees that creativity will get used to a hundred different ways is what makes it a winner. I’ve never played a game that was boring. I’ve never played a game and then not immediately had people wanting to play again.

4. Twilight Imperium (3rd edition) - See, I know the game takes 10 damn hours to play, and I know you have to arrange a game of it months in advance, and that the base game has a game-destroying component (Imperial, I’m looking at you), and it takes up more table space than most people reasonably have, and that it may well be the single best way to terrify someone who isn’t confident with board games, but I just don’t care. Every single game is ridiculous, absurd fun - from the unique (and pretty) universe creation, to the petty warmongering that can twist a game in circles, to the batty diplomacy that can eat your entire day, every game I’ve played has ended the same way; with every player looking exhausted - and then going away and talking about the game, that specific game they had, for days. And then a week later, they’ll start asking when we can play again.

Letters From Whitechapel is incredible - works surprisingly well as a two-player game actually, which I wasn't sure it would originally. Still great fun in a group though.

I’m sure it does, the problem is neither my wife nor myself have been getting much sleep due to our kids. While I can function pretty well on a low amount of sleep, my wife is pretty much the opposite. At the moment, she refuses to try to play it until there’s some other people who can help her process it all, even though the game itself is not complex in the least. She has the same issue with Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, another game I’d like to try playing in a small group rather than just solo.

I’ll get both to the table one of these days!!