Hey all you democracy true-believers!
So, you've played games all year long, with friends and strangers, at home and at meetups, morning, noon, and night....
Somehow, you soldiered through all the fun: now, your hands are shaky from rolling dice, fingers callused from pushing cubes, eyes burning from reading fine-print rules...
Finally, at the end of 2016--you've heeded the call of the Pearple--who cry out for a new leader. "Who is best?" they lament in their ignorance.
So, dutifully, you looked at your stacks and stacks of games. You weighed them on their originality, their production, their elegance...even their scent. Then you weighed them on a scale. Pretty heavy. Then you tried to lift them all at once, just to see if you still "had it"--and then threw out your back.
"Perhaps I'm too old for this," you wondered aloud.
But no, you were not. You sat down in front of your computer (no mean feat after triggering your sciatica) and thought and thought. You tossed down a handful of ibuprofen with a shot of whiskey. You thought about taking a nap. Your liver growled in agreement.
Finally--you clicked on a bunch of random boxes, clicked on the "VOTE!" button, and called it a night. Hell, it might not be accurate, but at least you VOTE!D. Elect 'em all and let The Great Pear sort 'em out.
Well, don't worry, good ol' Mr. Perry LeBosc, S.R.P., has your back! (....well, not literally, you need to make an appointment with a licensed professional for that).
Anyway, he/she/it has tallied up all your votes on the SUSD Ultracomputer (the Supercomputer's been on hiatus the past few months. A sabbatical. In Russia. Doing..."stuff...nothing suspicious, of course"?), and here, now, you can FINALLY read the results and get on with your lives. I mean, really, get a hobby.
Without further ado (much of it having been about nothing)--the results of the 2016 SUSD Pearple's Choice (Quasi-Official):
The Pearple's Choice Top 10 Best Reprints of a Previously Released Game in 2016: (from 63 voters with 121 votes)
7. Flick 'Em Up ("Wider Audience" plastic edition) 5 votes
7. Diamant (French Edition aka Incan Gold) 5 votes
7. Escape From Colditz 5 votes
6. Space Hulk 4th Edition 7 votes
5. Blood Bowl 10 votes
4. Archaeology: The New Expeditions 12 votes
3. Sushi Go! Party 15 votes
2. Ra 17 votes
1. Escape From The Aliens In Outer Space 18 votes
1. Sekigahara 18 votes
The Pearple's Choice Top 10 Best Expansions Published and/or Released in 2016: (from 43 voters with 82 votes)
6. Eldritch Horror: Signs of Carcosa 3 votes
6. T.I.M.E Stories A Prophecy of Dragons 3 votes
6. Dominion: Empires 3 votes
6. The Grizzled: At Your Orders! 3 votes
6. Descent: The Chains that Rust 3 votes
5. Pandemic: The Cure: Experimental Meds 4 votes
5. T.I.M.E Stories: Under The Mask 4 votes
4. Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk 5 votes
3. Evolution: Climate 6 votes
2. Colt Express: Horses & Stagecoach 12 votes
1. Descent: Road to Legend App 13 votes
The Prestigious First Annual Erik Tengblad "Best Game of the Previous Year (2015) I Only Got To Play For The First Time This Year (2016)" Award: (from 70 voters with 131 votes)
8. A Study in Emerald 2nd Ed 4 votes
8. Through The Ages: A New Story of Civilization 4 votes
7. The Gallerist 5 votes
6. Burgle Bros 7 votes
5. Blood Rage 8 votes
5. T.I.M.E Stories 8 votes
4. Isle of Skye 10 votes
3. 7 Wonders: Duel 12 votes
2. Pandemic: Legacy Season 1 31 votes
1. Mysterium 34 votes
...and the moment you've been waiting for, all year long--all of your lives, really, if we're 100% honest about it:
The Pearple's Choice Best Game Published and/or Released in 2016: (from 90 voters with 329 votes)
8. Archaelology: The New Expeditions 9 votes
8. Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition 9 votes
8. Codemanes: Pictures 9 votes
7. Secret Hitler 10 votes
7. Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space: Ultimate Edition 10 votes
6. Sushi Go! Party 11 votes
5. Star Wars: Rebellion 12 votes
4. Mechs vs. Minions 13 votes
3. Inis 17 votes
2. Captain Sonar 27 votes
1. Scythe 28 votes
The Pearple have spoken. Go forth, and render these works of cardboard unto your unfilled holiday shopping lists. And punch countersheets, and be fruitful in your resource conversions.
And above all--play nice with each other.
Peace! On to 2017!