Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Paladin’s Secret - A Play By Forum game of The Burning Wheel

“I have heard, such a terrible deed. In a way, very lucky though, she only arranged this plot that very same day and confessed her sins so at least she can lie in peace and enter the Kingdom of Heaven”.

“Did you know the Lady well? I have been told she was a patron of the arts. I would have thought that such a person would have a more elaborate grave marker than a simple cross.” Kaelin looks around the plot. “It is very pleasant, although very isolated from the others buried here.”

“I’m afraid I met her only for the first time that day, she was not a religious woman - at least not until, like many others, faced her end”

“You say that like she was expecting to die. Did she mention anything in passing to explain why she was choosing arrangements for her funeral at that time?”

(How do I make a steel test?)

(( Ooops, yes, that would have been handy to explain!

Steel tests work like any other test, except the Ob is your own hesitation. So, for example, Aulexis has Steel of 7 and hesitation of 5, this means she can roll 7 dice and needs 5 successes to pass, whereas Simon only has a Steel of 4 and a hesitation of 8.

There are no FoRK’s for Steel and help in the tests are extremely rare - there will be none in this test, and while I know that means it is an impossible roll for Simon, he needs those ticks to advance it. ))

The priest ((did we choose a name for him? If not, he’s Father Godwin)) says, seriously “Unfortunately she did mention something, and I’d like to help you, but I can’t”

Simons steel test.

4d6: 3 + 4 + 1 + 3 = 11

Tell us how Simon reacts as the smell of the mortuary hits him.

“As part of her confession no doubt, hence you not being able to divulge anything?”

“Yes, my vows prevent me from divulging anything said to me during a confession. I’m sorry I can’t be of help.”

Warran Ob5 Steel Test
6d6: 6 + 1 + 6 + 5 + 3 + 4 = 25

(Is this one of those tests where 6’s get rolled again?)

(( Yes, it is!))

Warran re-rolling 2 ‘6’s’
2d6: 6 + 3 = 9

Warran rolling again for fun!
d6: 4

Aulexis attempts to resist the stench…
7d6: 5 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 1 = 14

Discuss: The Paladin's Secret- PbFG (The Burning Wheel)

“I respect your position, Father. Although it will make bringing her murderer to justice harder. The undertaker’s description make it sound quite savage.”

(would the bodies be primarily human in the mortuary?)

“There are laws of God above the laws of man, and one of those is the sanctity of the confessional. If I told you, I would be betraying a vow that’s a cornerstone of the Holy Church. If people believed the sanctity of the confessional couldn’t be trusted, the consequences would be even worse than leaving a savage murderer on the lose. Besides, no-one escapes justice, not from God’s law.”

Yes, there are three bodies in there, all human.