Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Paladin’s Secret - A Play By Forum game of The Burning Wheel

Warran Ob5 Steel Test
6d6: 6 + 1 + 6 + 5 + 3 + 4 = 25

1 Like

(Is this one of those tests where 6’s get rolled again?)

1 Like

(( Yes, it is!))

Warran re-rolling 2 ‘6’s’
2d6: 6 + 3 = 9

1 Like

Warran rolling again for fun!
d6: 4

1 Like

Aulexis attempts to resist the stench…
7d6: 5 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 1 = 14

1 Like

“I respect your position, Father. Although it will make bringing her murderer to justice harder. The undertaker’s description make it sound quite savage.”

1 Like

(would the bodies be primarily human in the mortuary?)

1 Like

“There are laws of God above the laws of man, and one of those is the sanctity of the confessional. If I told you, I would be betraying a vow that’s a cornerstone of the Holy Church. If people believed the sanctity of the confessional couldn’t be trusted, the consequences would be even worse than leaving a savage murderer on the lose. Besides, no-one escapes justice, not from God’s law.”


Yes, there are three bodies in there, all human.

Simon is back on the ship.The smell of smoke and death fills his lungs, he stares down into the eyes of the ships carpenter, the blood flowing from his neck. The man tries to speak, whilst trying to grab the bandage Simon holds firmly in his hands…

Simon reels.

“I need some air.”

He bolts outside.

4 Likes

An old memory resurfaces.
“You killed her.”
“Yes, father.”
“Why?”
“She annoyed me.”
“Do you understand what you did wrong?”
“…Father?”
“Nothing? You feel nothing?”
“You kill people all the time, how is this different?”
“You will not leave this room until you figure out what you did wrong.”
“But she’s… Over there.”
(The door slams shut, a heavy bolt slides into place)

Aulexis’ lily-white skin takes a strange gray cast as the smell assaults her nostrils. She hasn’t smelled this smell in a long time, she had always ensured that bodies were dumped over the side immediately. She doesn’t speak as she retreats, following Simon back up the stairs.

She manages to make it just out the door before she vomits.

4 Likes

As the doors are opened, Warran is hit full force with the scent of death. The reek hangs in the air like a thick fog and he soon notices he is the last one of his party standing in the doorway as Aulexis and Simon flee from the oppressive odor for fresh air.

Warran pauses at first as the force and intensity of the smell just about makes his stomach turn; but, after the initial rush, its power fades and he is able to move forward as he suddenly detects a scent which catches his nose that he has not smelled in a long time.

“Mister Vanderburg, is that fresh Convallaria or essence of Convallaria I detect?” he politely asks.

2 Likes

Kaelin gives the priest a respectful bow. “May I stay for a while? A moment sitting in the peace here may help me order my thoughts.”

“Of course” Father Godwin leaves you in peace, he continues his walk through the graveyard.


“Essence. Look, rubbed into the skin it gives that porcelain effect that is so in vogue these days… That’s why you must be so careful with it, it doesn’t distinguish between living or dead. I hope your friends will be alright.”

1 Like

Aulexis wipes her mouth with a handkerchief, the revulsion leaving her and some embarrasment is evident on her face.

“I see you’ve no stomach for such smells either.” She addresses Simon. “Mortal corpse-rot is a uniquely foul effluence. Elf flesh does not smell like this, thank the gods. It dries and turns to a fine powder.”

1 Like

“Aulexis, let us leave this place.”

“Can we return to the officers of the law? There is some information I want from them,”

1 Like

(( Reminder that Jarek can appear back any time he wants today if he decided to give the messenger the slip ))

1 Like

"You have my support. I’ll leave a note for Warran. I’d also like to see if we can get some information from Diana’s neighbors.

1 Like

“That works with my ideas as well. I think a revisit to the house and neighbourhood would be a good next step after my questions.”

1 Like

Warran rather pensively nods in agreement, “Very true, if I am not mistaken there are a great number of items you use in your trade which must be handled with care. I remember being told several times some of the negative effects certain substances can have on the living skin by a friend of mine. She was very fond of Convallaria…” his voice trails off as he is distracted by the smell of the plant and a distant memory.

He quickly recovers from the distraction, smiles, and responds, “Oh, they should be fine. Perhaps it was something they ate which was not agreeing with them… Anyway, may I examine the body and can you point out the areas associated with her death? I do not want to keep you much longer as you have work to do.”

1 Like