Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Kickstarter thread

I asked in the KS thread if the new suggestions were supplanting the originals and was assured none of them were, with the exception of the flying squirrel (apparently there was already another kind of flying squirrel so that one is being swapped out).

Has anyone here backed Tiny Epic Tactics?

It looks pretty good to me and the price isn’t terrible, but I have purchased so many new games recently I don’t want to back something that isn’t going to be great.

What are people’s thoughts?

I put my money down. We’ve gotten a lot of fun out of Tiny Epic Galaxies and this is just too cute to pass up. Went all-in deluxe, those extra map features are nice.

Got burned with Tiny Epic Quest, don’t really trust a philosophy which perpetuallyputs gimmicks (item meeple, mech meeple, map box) front and centre in promotion.

This. I’m not against the format of games that intend to pack a big-box experience into a small form-factor. I’m not against trying to design a game that gives the feeling of an epic saga unfolding on your tabletop without investing 3+ hours into it.

But what I am bothered by is artificially constraining your designs to small footprints and leaning on gimmicks (going so far as to practically tether your brand’s identity to the “Tiny Epic …” tag) to garner interest in your games.

To be fair, I’ve never actually played a Tiny Epic game (they’ve never looked interesting, so perhaps I should have just started with that). A friend of mine went all-in on the Heroes of Land, Air and Sea Kickstarter and has been trying to tempt me into delving into it with him… It looks really dull though.

One of these days I’ll give a Tiny Epic game a Tiny Epic chance, but until then my thoughts towards that line of games is “Make the game that’s in your head… if it happens to be tiny and epic, great! But don’t force it to fit in a tiny box”

I’m a big believer that restrictions force creativity. I haven’t played any of the Tiny Epic … brand games but I do think that by following an identity like that you’ll end up experimenting and creating interesting things by necessity. It doesn’t guarantee quality but I’d rather see more publishers creating these series of games that follow a particular design philosophy, if only to see what they can come up with to push the boundaries of what that allows.

You’re right that it seems to be selling itself on the gimmick - I’m not expecting to put any money down on it. But it does present something people are interested in. I’ll probably watch some of the impressions videos to see how it plays. Overall I don’t think it’s something to be discouraged - without restrictions, the game that’s in your head can more easily become bloated and direction-less without discipline.

My sense is they start with the cool thing and glom game to it until there’s something rather than saying “what’s the best tactics/Zelda/western game we can fit in a tiny box”. In a weird way the restrictions mean if there is a gimmick really good stuff has to get crowded out.

I will say I’m definitely not against bling aesthetics, azul converted me on that, but I think it’s better to start with a core good game and work out from that then work in from the cool thing.

I currently have all the Tiny Epics…but I’m on the fence about Tiny Epic Tactics. Not because of the gimmick per se, but of whether it’s a game I’ll actually get to the table or play more than twice.

Tiny Epic Galaxies is easily the best in the series. Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Defenders are both good. Tiny Epic Quest is one I really enjoy (although my game groups call it Tiny Epic Legend of Zelda :wink: ). i’d probably rank it as second-best, really. Tiny Epic Western is…OK? It’s never really gone over terribly well. Tiny Epic Zombies is the first one that frankly feels like it should NOT have been Tiny. It’s also fairly fiddly, which I don’t want out of what a Tiny Epic game. Most of them use variations of the core mechanics, so if you don’t really dig one, I expect you might want to be cautious about the others.

I’ve only played two of them; Defenders 2nd Ed. and Zombies.

My son and I have really enjoyed Defenders, and I plan to get the Dark War at some point.

Zombies we played last night for the first time, and it was fun, though it went long due to the amount of rules. I agree that it’s super fiddly, but hopefully some of that will smooth out after repeated plays.

I don’t know if I would ever back one on KS, though I have thought of getting the Deluxe addons from the BGG Market, so what do I know?!

This doesn’t make any sense to me. How is that not being against the format of games that intend to pack a big-box experience into a small form factor? How would you even have a non-artificially constrained design?

Sott Almes has worked on other things and Gamelyn Games also published a big box title or two, but even if that weren’t the case it seems a very weird thing to have a beef about. If you don’t think some of the games are good, that’s one thing, but this semi-mystical approach to design doesn’t jibe with reality. You may as well tell an author writing a comic series or a weekly collumn to only write what their muse suggests and not try and cram it into an ongoing plan.

I totally understand your point. The key counterpoint I would make is that, of what I’ve seen, most of the games are not exceedingly epic and so, it seems to me, that they are designs being shoehorned into the preexisting branding rather than meriting the title “Tiny Epic” on their own.

I sincerely doubt they designed a “big box” game and then shoved it into a small box and broke the better, truer version of the design.

For the ones that don’t work as well, I’m going to go with the simpler answer that they just aren’t as good in the details rather than the complex metaphysical answer that they’re trapped in the wrong sized box.

I have Tiny Epic Zombies and it’s interesting. Just that, nothing more. And that’s fine, I don’t need a game to blow my face off every time! The theme is core to the design and the itemeeples are really fun to play with. My only major criticism is there isn’t much difference between the difficulty levels.

I nearly bought Tiny Epic Mechs and then realised I was buying it for the itemeeples alone - so I pulled out.

Tiny Epic Tactics looks interesting, love the Final Fantasy Tactics vibe, but I want to know how good the solo game is before I invest.

Anyone backing Tremors? …Terror Below?

I love the movies and own the first one on VHS.

I think it looks fun, but it also feels like a game that I’ll probably be able to find without too much hassle after the campaign. I’m a huge fan of the Tremors series too - did you know a series is coming??

I’m backed all-in on a beautiful RPG book called The Ultraviolet Grasslands. Pricey, but I’m sold so hard on the artwork and lore, I’m buying it primarily as a piece for the collection, unlikely though it is to ever get played.

A mixed bag of experiences with KS today. My copy of Village Pillage arrived today, a couple of months ahead of it’s proposed arrival date of April (though I know the creators intentionally set a later fulfilment date, so they could avoid any “sorry it’s late” messages).

But then while on KS to confirm I’d got it, I decided to check on the status of the super-later campaign (proposed arrival was January 2018) for the Board Game Creative Kit. After various plausible (financial troubles) and not-so-plausible (that the kits were stolen) excuses for the lateness, apparently the company has now declared bankruptcy :upside_down_face:

It reminds me of an old saying that I like to use:

If you loan somebody money and never see them again, it was money well spent.

So, the trick now, is to hopefully never see that/those creator(s) again.

“Glory”, a deeply generic name that will probably haunt the designer, hit its funding goal the other day. I’ve backed this one and think it looks like a winner.

I’m not sure if I already noted it here, but I’ve also backed the Ultraviolet Grasslands, which is a free RPG getting the deluxe hardbound treatment.

The art and design of both these projects is spectacular, at least for my tastes.

I’ve seen on Twitter that there is going to be a KS for something I’m interested in next week (Deluxe edition of Age of Steam).

I’ve never used KS, how does it work? I assume I need to set up an account? Does the money come out of my account instantly? I’m in the UK, can I pay in sterling, or will it be in dollars? Is it safe?

Cheers in advance

Answers:
Yes, you will make an account.

No, you are not charged until the KS ends, and only if it is successful.

I would think funds should be automatically converted, as my USD were converted to CAD for Catacombs way back when, and also to Norwegian Krones for another KS project, but I don’t know if it is different in the UK.

It’s been perfectly safe for me so far.