Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Kickstarter thread

As soon as some people feel they are not getting what they (think they) want/need, they start spamming the comments section.
It’s a risk every Kickstarter faces, even when things are going relatively smoothly.
The sad thing is that it’s never more than the proverbial vocal minority poisoning the project.

As far as Reavers goes, I’m not sure you can even call it a wp game, as discussed above (which might or might not be a bad thing, depending on your preferences).
I really hope the game can meet the expectations set high by it’s predecessor, but am happy playing COM for the time being.

Don’t mention Street Masters, I’m so tempted. But no game can be worth that much. :worried:

@webs - That’s fair. I’m keeping my $1 pledge to think about it more, as I wrote it off after launch, and never looked into it much. Not because of a lack of interest, but because of what else was on KS, combined with the holidays.

@KIR - SM looks so much like my kind of game, it’s scary. I’ll be really worried if the rumors about the Sadlers wanting to do an Exo/Mecha themed game using their modular deck system.

As far as the cost, yes it’s expensive, but I’ve come to terms with that. A lot of the games I like are miniature heavy, and even at retail (if they go to retail), those games are expensive. Sure, the initial buy-in tends to be less, but add a few expansions and you can get up there pretty quick; as an example, looks at games like Shadespire, or Imperial Assault. That all said, I completely understand the cost being a turn off, especially if minis aren’t your thing.

I’m in the halfway house with minis. Not for or against. I have enough games with minis now to validate painting them, and SM definitely look like they need painting to differentiate (the bases look like a bitch solution).

I’m alright with the cost in parts - I’ve spent far more on Arkham LCG but that’s over the course of 3 years. Heck, I drop twice this much on a guitar pedal that won’t see anywhere near as much use! But then, this looks like a good in-between of Gloomhaven and Arkham. Having both those games, do I want to spend a massive amount on another fighting game with clever card combos?

And while I love the theme, I’d be a bit worried it might seem a bit immature to a lot of my friends. It’s hard enough fighting the man child stigma at the best of times! I think that coupled with the similarish card play to Arkham (I get it’s different, but scratches a similar itch) are the biggest deciders for me. I’d also like more euros as I’ve realised I’ve accrued a lot of board games that don’t really have that 'traditional board game’s feel. It does look fun though :roll_eyes:

Formula D checks if you’ve stopped the requisite number of times in each corner. So it’s quite possible to hit a 1-stop corner in 5th- of 6th-gear and enter the next straightaway at max speed. But if you fall even a single space short, you’ll have to jam on your breaks, spend another turn entering the corner in a low gear, and then starting the straight slower. For this reason, I feel Formula D allows for huge swings in luck that could easily give a car an extra 10 or 20 spaces if they’re lucky.

In contrast, Rallyman’s luck element seems more “realistic.” If you take the risk, the good result is one space and the chance to keep rolling, but the bad result is losing control, starting from low speed next turn, and possibly damaging your car. You can also roll in Flat Out mode, which is riskier, but allows you to accumulate Focus tokens that can be used to mitigate risk later. So Rallyman feels more about managing risk than being lucky.

My main experience with Rallyman is what is now called Solo mode, which is almost a mathematical puzzle about trying to find the fastest sequence of moves to reach the finish line. The reason why is because you accumulate time depending on what gear you end your turn on, so you don’t necessarily want to roll as many dice as possible to move as far as possible. Sometimes it’s a good idea to just roll four or five dice and stay in 6th gear. Sometimes you want to set yourself up to roar out of the next corner.

I’m actually concerned about the new edition of Rallyman that seems to emphasize moving as far as you can each turn, as I’m worried it takes some planning out of the game. When I’m not at work, I should probably watch some of the KS videos to see if my fears are valid.

Thanks. If you do look into it, let me know what your take on that point of concern is, if you wouldn’t mind. :smiley:

I can understand that. The bases seem like a potential pain…and a costly one if you don’t want to switch them constantly!

I’m hoping to get my son some starter paints and such for Christmas, because he wants to start painting as well. I think it will be something fun to do when we don’t feel like gaming. I can also do it when i have some free time and want to relax and not play a video game.

You have to know your group for sure. My gaming “group” is my son and girlfriend, and they are both up for almost anything. I’m lucky like that (except for not having a group, but I don’t feel I have the time I’d be willing to commit). I don’t have Gloomhaven or AH:LCG so I don’t have that overlap, or time commitment. I have thought about grabbing AH:LCG, but that would be a coop for just me and my gf, kind of an “just me and her” thing.

It all depends on what you want/feel you “need” in your collection. I wouldn’t mind some more euros, and plan to get some, but they don’t seem to appeal to my son as much. He prefers coops in general, and the one competitive style that seems to go over well is area control/skirmish. There are others, but that seems to be the better option.

My point is, the game looks bad and you shouldn’t buy it! :wink:

Yeah, if I didn’t have Gloomhaven or Arkham, I’d snap this in an instant. There’s a lot of content in there, and the card combos look snazzy (love a good card combo! Nothing more satisfying!).

Hm, not knowing the old rules I can’t be sure, but it doesn’t look like they changed much for the new version of Rallyman. Especially lower gears equaling more time is still there.

The mishap cards are gone; there’s now a fixed penalty for each combination of gear and road hazard level (red/yellow/green). And there don’t seem to be any short cuts in the corner tiles I’ve seen so far, though there are maximum entry/exit speeds on some corners.That seems to be the main difference if you play solo mode (or work up a time trial mode out of it).

Metal, the new game from Lay Waste Games (the folks who did Dragoon) is up on Kickstarter.

Everything is solid metal, including the box. Understandably, it’s a small box. I would not want a Gloomhaven-sized chunk of metal.

It’s basically a series of dexterity games. I wouldn’t recommend it for kids, as the pieces could easily get lost, but it looks like fun.

It’s apparently the first in a series of games that will each feature a different material. They’re also planning wood, paper, rubber, and fabric.

Finally, it’s a very reasonable price, $35 US.

What are the shortcuts in the original you’re talking about?

In the original, you could cut across the grass/dirt shoulder. I think the trade-off was you could take the corner as one space at a higher gear but more likely to damage your vehicle.

In the new version, if you hug the inside of the track, your gear is more limited. The fast way is to enter and leave the turn diagonally (so more like a racing line, using the width of the track to come in from the outside, hit the apex, and come back out). The complication is if someone else is sitting on that line, how do you navigate around them?

Just that, @jgf1123 — I’m thinking of things like the K2 spaces you’ll find along the C3-C8 path (summer side only).

Well speaking of guitar stuff… I backed Street Master, then saw the latest Chase Bliss reverb pedal (collaboration with Keeley and Cooper FX no less!!!) was released this week. Cancelled my pledge and ordered the pedal. Have been waiting for CB to release a reverb for a looooong time.

So instead of £200 on boardgames, it’s £400 on guitar stuff. :smile:

I really wish Street Masters weren’t a minis game. I love everything about what I’ve seen of it and I’m gonna have to go all in because it’s very much up my alley, but…there’s no need for the minis, they’re clearly at least 40% of the cost right there, and the big storage box that’s coming with the Aftershock expansion makes no mention of storing minis so it’ll probably be hell figuring out what to do with them. :frowning:

After the KS pitch video at the top, the first video on the page is a 50-minute playthrough. I recommend watching that to see if this is the sort of game you want to play. Here’s my take:

First, the video notes that the original Rallyman was primarily a solo game, and they wanted to preserve the ability to play solo in the new version. Indeed, the way players tally up their final time in the GT version is basically the same as the original version.

Second, I think I need to refine what my concern about the GT version was before watching the video. In the original version, the goal was not to finish the race in the minimum number of rounds (technically they are called turns, but “turns” can mean something else in racing games…), but to finish with the minimum accumulated time. This meant the player constantly want to end rounds on a high gear (which adds less time) but had to keep dropping to lower gears for corners. The game was about planning a series of rounds that threaded through the corners most efficiently, and moving as far as you could each turn was not necessarily the right answer. Maybe you set it up so you can take consecutive corners in one round; maybe it’s better to stop between them in a moderately high gear.

In the multiplayer GT game, the winners are the racers who cross the finish line in the minimum number of rounds, so moving as far as you can each turn is generally a good idea. The question is: is this change a Bad Thing? Does this mean the game is more about being lucky not rolling warning signs and less about planning? Well, planning is still a large part of the game.

In the original version, what I call planning is figuring out the best gear and location to end each round: gear because that determines how much time you add to your race, and both gear and location will affect future turns. In multiplayer GT, what gear and location to end each round still matters, not for counting time, but for interacting with other players. For one, the main thing that determines player order is their gear. So if you want to move first to make sure you’re the one who gets the racing line, or if you want to move later so the person in front gets out of your way, gear matters. This is in addition to managing gears to navigate corners. (Also, I like the addition of brake dice, which adds another wrinkle to planning rounds.) In the video, you can see the players constantly trying to decide what gear to end their round on.

For another, there is a new rule regulating overtaking: you can only move alongside another player if you use a Gear die of same or higher value. (They might have misplayed this in the video and overtook using a Coast die at the same or higher gear.) Let’s say someone is ahead of you but is in lower gear, so you move first. You may be able to overtake them and end in a high gear in a way so that they cannot overtake you this round, so their lead in spaces just got wiped away.

Bottom line: in the original version, often short moves were fine because you were trying to manage gears. It looks like in the GT version, you do want to be able to move far each turn, and it seems luck plays a bigger role (sometimes your first two rolls are warnings and you call it quits; sometimes that second warning doesn’t come for a long time and you move eight spaces in a single round), but other players on the track mean you can’t ignore speed or jockeying over racing lines. So planning is still part of the game, just planning with different considerations.

Aside: there was some gameiness in the video about being totally fine losing control in 2nd gear because the player got another space, blocking someone else at the same time, and wouldn’t damage their car. No downside to losing control seems a weird thing for a racing game.

@KIR I don’t play, but I can respect that.

@malkav11 I probably would have passed if it wasn’t for the minis, and waited for retail. To date, every game I’ve backed on KS has been heavy on them…I think I have a problem, lol.

Thanks!

Found a picture (courtesy of bgg user ilrichi), combined with your explanation I get it now.
There are obviously some reveals planned for the campaign, but I don’t think they will reveal new rules at this point, rather add-ons and SGS.

Sheesh, me too.
Just backed Reavers of Midgard, Sword & Sorcery, Atlantis Rising and am still considering The Everrain.

I have already backed Nemesis, 7th Continent, Xia, Mysthea, Black rose Wars, Robin Hood and Bargain Quest.

Definite problem.