Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Kickstarter thread

Didn’t know there was a CK game. It’s amusing that CK came out of the EU family of games, and EU was a board game first.

Not representative of the genre as a whole, but there have been some great videogame to boardgame conversions! Starcraft has since been superceded by Forbidden Stars, but was brilliant in its day. Gears of War and Doom are both excellent dungeon crawls. Age of Empires/Discovery is a great euro that I’d recommend to anyone, Master of Orion is a fun tableaux builder. I can’t personally comment on Civilisation or Dark Souls but I know they both have their fans.

Don’t write a game off just because of its source material, there have been some amazing examples from the video game world :smile:

To be fair, moving dudes around a map is what properly turns me off more. It’s so easy to hide a lazy design that looks great on a campaign page and falls flat on the table. It can work well, but too much of a risk for an expensive KS.

I played the 2010 Civilisation a few weeks ago. Didn’t like it at all. It did present some elements of the PC game quite well, but the tech tree was very basic and unimaginative. Each tech let you move one space further, or hit one point harder, or produce a resource. It didn’t feel compelling. Also had a lot of mechanics that encouraged beating on the weakest player to the point where the weakest player is just a resource for stronger players to utilise, which frustrated me no end. I really wanted to stand up and walk away at several points in the game.

It was generally a game that lacked that special twist for interesting decisions or a bit of tension. Maybe it was first play jankiness, but there wasn’t anything exciting to make me want to try again. It made me really appreciate Root a lot more though - giving each faction its own little mini puzzle keeps everyone involved even if they aren’t a major player that game. I have heard the expansions fix a lot of Civ’s problems though. It is FFG afterall.

I see that there have now been a bunch of other bosses added as stretch goals. Looks like they are expecting this to make a few million and have planned to leave most of the game out of the initial campaign to later add in as stretch goals, as if that wasn’t the plan all along. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Kickstarter being Kickstarter.

You might want to copy that post and save it somewhere so you can paste it again next CMoN campaign!

If by bosses you mean more padding, then yes. There still isn’t a campaign boss past the first major story encounter in the game. I’m properly grossed out by this campaign, but I’m still watching just to see how bloated and stupid things can get.

This is the type of Kickstarter project that rubs me the wrong way. Good thing they don’t need my money to be successful, I guess.

I don’t find video game adaptations tend to be markedly worse than other sorts of board games, but I also don’t find games with themes or source material I love to be markedly better than other board games so I tend to just take each as it comes. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve no experience of the video game, but I found the existing Bloodbourne card game to be pretty fun.

With a caveat that it seems similar to Cutthroat Caverns (at least in concept, as I’ve not played CC, only watched the SU&SD review). And that would likely be more fun thanks to its sense of humour.

I don’t think think the Bloodborne campaign is any worse than most minis-heavy games. Though I generally don’t have an issue with them. We all know that SG’s are planned content, its just a matter of how much of that content gets added for “free” vs being released as an purchasable addon. That said, CMON does have a questionable track record when it comes to “surprise” add-ons, so we’ll see how this pans out.

As far as what’s in the core box, I don’t think I expected much more. They were never going to have the full story worth of content in one box (and not because it’s CMON; I don’t think any company would). If they did have the real “final” boss, than everything leading up to it would be very sparse.

As far as the idea of a video game IP turned into a board game, I think a lot of it depends on what you want.

For example; Bloodborne for me is an appealing theme/aesthetic, but I have no real attachment to it as I never really played it. Theme and aesthetics are easier elements to incorporate into a board game, than the narrative and “feel” of the game (imo).

I happen to love tactical combat coops, so the core mechanics of the game combined with its theme, is fairly appealing to me.

I do agree that just because someone loves a video game, they will live the board game (though self deception can be a powerful thing; I made myself believe for a time that the Silent Hill movie as good! Lol). If they’re just in it to collect the minis from a thing they love, than all the power too them.

Hey! The Silent Hill movie is great!! (If you watch it on mute)

I can’t deny they nailed the look.

I am old enough to remember when a video game tie in to a film meant it was sure to be garbage (presumably because they’d paid so much for the film rights they didn’t have any money left to make a good game).

For boardgames it’s gone in waves. I’ll stand the original Aliens the Boardgame up as a great game in its day, and not bad now; in the early 2010s I saw a lot of good tie-ins (opinions vary on Firefly though I’m very fond of it, and from several of the same designers you get Spartacus: Blood and Sand and the underrated Homeland); now boardgames have got bigger again and I’m seeing more disappointments (like Big Trouble in Little China about which the best I’ve read is “it’s OK”).

In short I think one has to take every game on its merits; tie-in may have a slight negative correlation with game quality but there are a lot of other factors too. Personally I don’t get on with Eric Lang’s games so when it comes to Bloodborne what’s clearly a positive for a lot of people is a negative for me.

I’d say BSG is the poster child of the tie-in board game.

Well said. Movie videogame tie-ins from the 90’s could spark a whole new discussion

I’ve seen a fair number of people who don’t really care for Lang’s work. I don’t have any experience with anything he’s done, though Bloodrage is on my wishlist, as one of the more approachable DoaM games.

I’m curious how much input he’s had on Bloodborne, as CMON seems to be putting his name on almost everything these days (I know I’m exaggerating). I’m not saying that to try and convince you, it’s just something I’ve seen brought up in a few places. If what the Designer Diaries said are true, I think the original concept of the card combat (as it is in Bloodborne) was his idea.

I have some inside gossip from a reasonably reliable source that Lang actually does little work on “his” games. Unfortunately I can’t name the source, so take that for what you will.

I backed Bloodborne because when I checked it out the “Early Bird Special” had 15 minutes left. I suspect I will withdraw my pledge though. I just love cooperative campaign games, makes for a good reason for friends to get together, those who won’t commit to a weekly or bi-weekly gaming night.

Oh yes, I totally forgot about the BB card game! I quite liked that but eventually traded it on as our group does have (and prefers) Cutthroat Caverns. It wasn’t bad at all though and I bet a lot of fans are happy with it.

You’ve also reminded me of the Superhot card game, which was also pretty good. It’s a solo you-vs-deck game so I don’t get it out very often, but it’s worth looking into if you’re interested in videogame conversions

That’s unfortunate. Though I know the guys on SVWAG have noted how there are certain mechanics that seem to be in all of his games, so what you said could explain at least part of that.

Though I don’t follow designers enough to know how common it is for them to have “go to” mechanics.

@Monkefied9 Yeah, I’m not 100% sure I’ll keep my pledge. I love the idea of the one-off Chalice Dungeon (not a huge fan of campaigns), but I need to show my son and see if he’s at all interested. He’s currently my main gaming partner for games like this.

I’ve stepped over a threshold, and requested my first refund! Living Planet hit all sorts of issues, and I don’t really have much faith in Boelinger as a designer (espevially with a game that is promising everything). Would rather lose the 10% & get my money back than get another possibly alright game that will sit around. With sunken costs it feels like free money!