Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Kickstarter thread

Probably wise, I didn’t mind it by any means, but it’s not a seek out at all costs. I am not upset about buying it, but I won’t be getting any expansions or whatever for it.

I haven’t, but Jamey Stegmaier’s written extensively about it at the Stonemaier Games blog and I think even wrote a book about it? Probably worth a look.

In case it’s interest to anyone else, Blood on the Clocktower’s KS launches March 28th.

I’ve heard really great things about this but, quite concerning, in the coverage I’ve heard of the game, it seems to requires an extremely knowledgeable and talented ref/gm/storyteller. With this in mind… I strongly suspect that it will struggle in most groups. Does anybody know how they might have addressed this?

I feel like I should support this project and creator seeing as the designer lives ~2 hours away and, around here, that constitutes a “local” creator… and we should, as a community, support our local creators.

Unfortunately, I’ve heard some disappointing things said about Feudum. I’d be curious if anybody had any positive things to say about it.

Unless the printer is also 2 hours away, I’m not sure how important it is to support local creators over anyone else. There aren’t oceans or freeways on the Internet, after-all. :smiley:

I certainly see your point. However, I always try to support local businesses; the more local, the better, but I’m not against supported slightly less local businesses given the opportunity.

I live in a city with next to no “game design” culture or community; having a successful game designer 2 hours away from me would be a great benefit to myself or any other aspiring game designers if it meant that an aspiring designer in my city could invite him to coffee and pick his brain. Now, I’m not saying that will happen, but it certainly won’t happen if there were no content creators within a day-trip’s drive from me.

On the other hand, I have a friend who lives in Denver and I think the only thing that outnumbers the number of game designers in Denver is the number of Yoga Instructors; if I were a Denverite, I would certainly not be so eager to support every single game designer in the area.

Speaking as a network engineer for a telecommunications company: you would be surprised.

There’s oceans and there’s oceans. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Internet has altered what geography means for community–especially in terms of creative community. I think the RPG design community in particular benefits so enormously from online support networks, discussion forums, and dissemination of design ideas that even if you do all of your playtests in person, that community isn’t easily replaceable even in an area with a lot of interest in playing and talking about games.

In the area where I live, local game groups are thin on the ground and fall apart quickly. Not that far away in Seattle there are lots of shops, groups, and designers … but it’s not close enough to be where I go in the evenings for a cup of tea over card games or for regular sessions that eat a chunk out of every single week or two (there’s local and there’s local). I still play games with friends and family, so it’s not as though I’m unable to enjoy the hobby here but without digital community I wouldn’t be able to play as diverse an array of games or engage with the design side of gaming in the same way. :slight_smile: I wouldn’t be able to keep as consistent a dosage of gaming, either!

I suppose one way to think of that would be to see an inadequacy in the geographically local community that needs fixing, but I guess I think of it more the other way. There’s nothing wrong with supporting local creators. More just … adequacy of oceanic and transportation network metaphors for internet infrastructure notwithstanding, geography isn’t the only kind of local anymore.

Agreed. But there’s no communication medium that compares to sitting across a table from somebody and chatting while sharing pot of coffee or tea; if it weren’t for that I think the argument about local-vs-online communities would be moot.

Speaking as an introvert who struggles most in non-face-to-face interactions due to the lack of body language and speech intonation/inflection, nothing beats 1-on-1, face-to-face conversations. Yes I have game ideas… No I don’t want to post them to reddit or BGG designer forums for hundreds or thousands of people to comment on because it’s just noise in my head without the nuance of conversation.

Just wondering what folks thing of Glory. @VictorViper - any updates as to what it’s going to be like?

This makes me curious as to how much the typical game is play tested. Is 500 really that much?

@MrJackdaw My goodness yes!

One of the things I’ve really enjoyed is being able to see everything out there in its current state - rules, components, etc. are laid bare on the Hogg Publishing website. I’ve been able to get a pretty good sense of things that way. I’d also recommend looking at the dev’s vlogs.

From my perspective though, here’s what has me excited:

• Dirt simple ruleset
  • Basically Risk/Reward: The Game
  • The chance elements actually appeal here as it’s a game that seems comfortable with its randomness and is carefully designed around it (time will tell)
  • Player Elimination is there, but in a way that will always make it a player’s decisions that cause it (always avoidable)

There’s just something really delightful here that speaks to me, but until I get to play it, I won’t know for sure. The art style really clicks with me too. Naturally with elements like turn skips and player elimination, there are a few hot-button mechanics, but I actually like how they’ve been integrated here.

Finally, there’s a platform here that seems ripe for player hacks/mods, and future expansion ideas could be very exciting. I could even see the game being integrated with RPG modules, etc.

Anyway, like I said, there’s just something here that tickles my fancy. And the developer, Jeremy Hogg, has a lot to say on the matter. There’s a BGG general discussion thread I started (I never post there) and in which the dev has posted, but finding the game page can be tricky - pitfalls of a generic (if appropriate) title. Searching for glory and then filtering results by release date helps.

Go on then… I admit, I like the art, and it sounds interesting. Cancelled one pledge to pledge for this instead. Not bothered about the foil cards though!

Yeah, the foil upgrade is a pretty tough sell to be honest. I’m only going that route because… well, that gold dragon gotta be GOLD.

[EDIT] First stretch goal just got met. We’re getting a 5th character and it’s going to be a Druid!

Mothership has launched a 2nd ed. and I jumped on it immediately. I’ve been hoping this would come around as it’s proven impossible to find. Apparently a news source miscredited the designer as Sandy Peterson (it’s Peter Sanderson), which will surely get fixed but couldn’t have hurt the launch visibility! :rofl:

Did you go all in on this one?

Nah, part of the appeal is the single box (both expansions fit). If there’s a new solution in the stretches I might be convinced to go all-in, but for now I’m the tier down.

I had committed never to buy a game with minis again after Scythe, but I can break my rule for this one. Happy to see player board upgrades over the flimsy 1st edition.

Did you commit to not getting games with minis because of Scythe, or was Scyhte the exception to a general rule?

Not because of Scythe per se, but definitely prompted by it. The issue for me is that minis are usually simply unnecessary. I get their appeal, I get the hobbyist side of things, and I get the perceived value add. But they’re a space hog and general pains-in-the-ass, so unless there’s a need for them, I don’t want them.

[EDIT] Just wanted to note that I do actually enjoy the minis in Scythe, but they immediately established a “one minis game is enough” rule. Soft rule, as it turns out. :wink:

One of my big pleasure-buttons is a densely packed box-o-cardboard.

Yes. The best thing about KS stuff is that they don’t have to conform their box size to what the publishers have, if they rather did it through a publisher.

My Clans of Caledonia is nicely done. Though I admit it does feel like it’s overflowing.