Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Kickstarter thread

It’s no secret that Kickstarter has become a pretty big deal in the realm of board games. Many small companies and even a few of the bigger ones have been using the service to successfully fund new and interesting games.

I probably back a lot more projects than I should.

Right now I’m in particular looking forward to Galaxy Defenders and Septikon: Uranium Wars that both should be making their ways toward me as I write this. Further into the future I’m very excited about getting my hands on BattleCon: War Remastered, Tuscany and Two Rooms and a boom.

What KS projects are folks currently backing or watching? And what Kickstarted games are you waiting to receive? Are there any games you backed on KS that fell flat for you once you actually received and played them? Please feel free to use this thread to share your thoughts on all things Kickstarter!

Can I Talk about My Kickstarter Here?
Welcome To....again

I’m awaiting Catacombs, of course.

This is the first and only thing I have ever Kickstarted, and I already had the first edition. I spend a long time deciding whether or not to buy a game, and Kickstarter feels like too much of a gamble. I’ll be interested in hearing about other’s experiences with this.

The only project I’m currently backing is Bomb Squad, which for all intents and purposes seems to be Hanabi meets Robo Rally meets Escape! The Curse Of The Temple. I cannot tell you how many of my buttons that pushes. There’s only 12 hours left on the campaign, so if it sounds like the sort of thing you’ll like you’d better get a wiggle on. :smiley:

I’m eagerly awaiting Catacombs, like everyone else, despite already owning the original version, like everyone else. Hopefully there are enough people out there doing the Dracula fingers at the lovely new artwork to be able to sell the first edition to someone. I also can’t wait to get my hands on Scoville, which looks enormously pretty but also seems to have a simple set of rules that all the same allow for some properly difficult, interesting decisions.

i’m disproportionately eager for (the delayed) of mice and lemmings, trying to be patient for harbour and absolutely itching to give myself waggle dance for christmas

The only thing I have backed board game wise is Skyway Robbery after Quinns’ post the other week. It barely squeaked over its asked amount. To be honest it’s only the second thing I have ever backed on Kickstarter, which, to be honest, I am still a bit uncomfortable with and suspicious of in regards to its use by game companies of both the cardboard and video persuasion, but that’s another discussion that has already been had on a million forums by a million people!

The only project I'm currently backing is Bomb Squad, which for all intents and purposes seems to be Hanabi meets Robo Rally meets Escape! The Curse Of The Temple. I cannot tell you how many of my buttons that pushes. There's only 12 hours left on the campaign, so if it sounds like the sort of thing you'll like you'd better get a wiggle on. :D

That sounds really cool, but I guess I’m a weary Kickstarterer. One part of my brain says “You’ve always wanted to defuse bombs safely and with your friends” while another says “No you don’t, you want to buy more X-Wing miniatures” while my wallet says “I’m hungry, you haven’t fed me in quite some time”.

I still have a few hours to sort the argument out.

The only project I'm currently backing is Bomb Squad, which for all intents and purposes seems to be Hanabi meets Robo Rally meets Escape! The Curse Of The Temple. I cannot tell you how many of my buttons that pushes. There's only 12 hours left on the campaign, so if it sounds like the sort of thing you'll like you'd better get a wiggle on. :D

That sounds really cool, but I guess I’m a weary Kickstarterer. One part of my brain says “You’ve always wanted to defuse bombs safely and with your friends” while another says “No you don’t, you want to buy more X-Wing miniatures” while my wallet says “I’m hungry, you haven’t fed me in quite some time”.

I still have a few hours to sort the argument out.

Mmmmmm, tasty X-Wing miniatures…

I’m currently waiting on Yomi v2, which I’ve been playing via the online version for a while, but I really can’t wait to have it as a physical product. Yomi is such an incredible game.

Also, I’m waiting on my copy of Catacombs. I was late to the party on Catacombs and I wasn’t able to find the previous version anywhere, so when I saw it on Kickstarter, backing it was a no-brainer.

Oh, and I backed the expansion for The Resistance.

I’m tempted to get in on Bomb Squad - but put off by the Hanabi like idea (everyone else can see your cards, you cant) - not a fan of Hanabi. Oh, and its twice as bloody much to get a copy here in Australia.

I think I’ll just wait for retail.

I'm awaiting Catacombs, of course.

This is the first and only thing I have ever Kickstarted, and I already had the first edition. I spend a long time deciding whether or not to buy a game, and Kickstarter feels like too much of a gamble. I’ll be interested in hearing about other’s experiences with this.

Well, it’s not more of a gamble than pre-ordering a game through any system. Well, with the big difference being that a Kickstarter project that you back might not ever come to fruition. Thankfully this is pretty uncommon, at least among big, high-profile projects. I’ve backed over 60 projects myself, both video and board games, and so far all of them have delivered actual products. Maybe the products weren’t always great, but I did get them. You have to exercise some critical thinking when you back a KS project - does the company or person seem trustworthy? Have they created and successfully completed projects in the past?

Let’s see … things I’m still waiting on: Catacombs, Escape Big Box, and Two-Rooms. Very excited on all counts!

Ooh, also the new Flash Point expansion.

I was a bit disappointed by Shadows over Empire, and I was very happy about Coup and The Resistance Avalon (I got it as a Coup addon). :slight_smile:

That’s my Kickstartering.

I’m another compulsive Kickstarter (into 3 figures backed scarily, though that’s including quite a few failed campaigns). I mostly back videogames though, what with boardgames being such a pricey gamble. For the boardgames I have backed I’m currently waiting on Catacombs, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, 404: Law Not Found and of course Two Rooms.

Let’s see, I have 12 projects backed so far, and only received 2 (and played neither!). Those are Raiders of the Lost Tomb, a card and coin-based microgame, and In Security, a really cool dice microgame from a guy who won the BGG ‘Dice Or No Dice’ Design Contest.

I’ll list the rest, and explain the perhaps unheard of ones:
Coin Age - coin-based microgame from TMG that is currently SIX MONTHS LATE
This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The 2-4 Of Us! - card-based microgame from TMG that is currently SIX MONTHS LATE
DoubleSix Dice - d6s don’t roll so well. d12s roll better - so this is d12s with 1-6 printed twice! Replace all your ancient d6s with the dice of the future!
Coup Reformation - Indie Boards and Cards expansion for Coup.
Dragon Slayer - Indie Boards and Cards light dice game.
The Resistance: Hostile Intent and Hidden Agenda - Indie Boards and Cards expansion for The Resistance (adds in all the Avalon roles to The Resistance universe, among many other modules).
Eggs and Empires - This is a cool little simultaneous-play bidding/trick-taking card game. I liked the artwork and wanted something kind of like 12 Days.
Yardmaster - This is like Uno for adults - matching colours or numbers, but you’re lining up train cars in a train yard. Art is visually really striking and bold. Rahdo really liked it.
Yardmaster Express - this is like Yardmaster’s little brother. It borrows the style, but has really quick card drafting instead. Rahdo loved this too, his run through sold me on the game :slight_smile:
Release! The Game - you might not be interested in this unless you work in software development :stuck_out_tongue: It’s a card game based on the agile development methodology. I bought it to play at work!

@xFoxUK‌ I got my TMG stuff on the 12th of last month, so they’re going out. This was meant to make you feel better but perhaps it accomplished the opposite.

@xFoxUK‌ I got my TMG stuff on the 12th of last month, so they're going out. This was meant to make you feel better but perhaps it accomplished the opposite.
Same here!

I received my copy of CoinAge a couple weeks ago, I think. I still haven’t had a chance to play it, though!

Other things I’m waiting for:

The Resistance: Hostile Intent and Hidden Agenda expansions (with Coup and its expansion as add-ons)

Aquasphere

Pathologic (both the video game and the board game)

@xFoxUK‌ I got my TMG stuff on the 12th of last month, so they're going out. This was meant to make you feel better but perhaps it accomplished the opposite.

Hah. I have totally lost all confidence in TMG and will likely never back another game from them. Their new community manager’s updates have been far too sporadic. I was almost ready to forgive when he joined and explained everything but I haven’t heard anything for ages now.

Backed waaaay too many things -> https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/jengol
Most eagerly awaiting:
War on indines and devastation of indines (hopefully December delivery)
Pocket Odyssey (a quick playing tabletop - rpg hybrid that looks to give you the tabletop rpg feel in a tiny package that plays quickly)
Chaosmos (an ameritrash combat version of a social deduction game / hide and seek - looks promising).

Just noticed that my profile page also lists things that I backed but cancelled. I wish they had a way to share only the projects you actually ended up backing.

don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to post my profile - not as addicted as some, more so than many it appears

Just backed my first ever Kickstarter - the Daybreak expansion for One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Pretty excited.