Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2

“How far North, my Lord? To Lincoln, or beyond?”

(Is anyone else is accompanying the Earl as part of his entourage?)

“Our destination is Eburacum, it will be just the five of us”

Owain has command of two knights he knows very little about, and Balen, as decent a soldier as can be found in Salisbury. It would make sense to pair each of the raw knights with himself and Balen. He’ll have a quite word with Balen, asking whether he would favour taking Merrick or Ryia under his wing for the trip.

Balen is hopeful he shall see Sir Hamm again, although the news of the Saxon insolence makes his blood boil.

“Sir Owain how goes your research? I have a proposition for you, that may benefit us both.”

On the subjects of knights.

“Dear Sir, even my choice of wife was left to greater minds, I will mentor whoever you wish.”

"Yes, I hear congratulations are in order. Tanwyn has stayed at Tisbury a few times when still squiring for my uncle; she’s a bold one who will surely keep you on your toes. Although my uncle will never forgive you if you let any harm befall her.”

“I think to start with you could mentor Ryia, and I Merrick? Regardless, I would like one of us two to always be close to the Earl, whilst Ryia and Merrick can take turns riding point. There’s little but rain to bother us as we cross Salisbury, so I’d be happy to hear your proposal as we ride.”

“Ryia! Let’s have a look at you! Are you ready to go?”

At some point during the start of the journey, Owain will attempt to broach a subject with Roderick that he is very uncomfortable in raising. However, faint heart never won great rewards.

“My Lord, in my years of service, I have never asked you for a favour or boon. However, I find that in attempting to pursue investigations into developing new armour and advancing our ideas of warfare under my own devices, I have stretched my finances to their end. Perhaps this would not have mattered if it were not also for the King’s additional taxes and the need for taking on new squires, but the confluence of events has left me in a precarious situation. I would like to petition you for a salaried post in Salisbury. A source of addition income would make a great difference to my ability to maintain myself and my family in a fit state to be ready to serve.”

“I feel ill to ask such a thing. You have seen fit to grace me with honours such as the rights to hold a contest, and standing as my advocate last year in the King’s Court, for which I will always be immensely grateful. Yet as the situation stands, I cannot foresee a way forward that does not require more extreme methods. Whilst they are unpalatable to consider, they may yet be necessary unless I can source an alternative ways to solve my immediate problems.”

Owain’s head bows a little in shame at having to ask such a thing of his Lord, not happy to confess that he has not been able to adequately manage his land to support him in his duties, regardless of the external pressures that drain his resources.

Balen coughs and makes a sideways glance.

Roderick scratches his head “I think Elad and Hogarth need to focus their attentions on war over the coming years, so if you could take hold of Castle Vagon for me, I believe you’re operating out of there anyway, then we can certainly find you a salary.”

Owain bows graciously in thanks. “Thank you my Lord. You are correct that Sir Elad has me acting as his second at Vagon already, mainly to give me the space to continue my research, but I have been busy learning everything I can from the Marshal.”

Balen interjects.

“Pardon my intrusions my lord, but this certainly is the time to raise my own proposal with Sir Owain. The last of my treasure, reserved to pay off a debt in case the Devine’s decided I should lose my recent duel. It is almost £20. It is a sum that might be best suited to redeveloping the smithy at the castle, in order to best suit the experimental nature of the work. Master craftsmen need the best tools, and I am sure that ultimately I would reap the benefits of improved protection.”

He waves a hand, as if making a minor point.

“and if I needed some minor piece of metalworking or, say reforging of an item, I’m sure such an investment would guarantee such work would be completed without needing further payment…”

“A generous offer Sir Balen. That sum would certainly be a great asset, whether spent on improving the smithy directly, purchasing tools or materials. I would have to speak to the smith to see how it would be best put to use. One thing that we ultimately seek to avoid is the craft of better weapons and armour being a limited to just single individuals or locations with the required knowledge and facilities. The best of our discoveries must be shared with others in Logres if it is to make a telling difference against the invaders.”

(( Also, someone’s got to pay to have your bronze sword repaired, if you arrange with another player to build them a forge and they repair your sword for free, then they have to cough up the dough to buy the materials ))

Balen nods, “Of course, consider the money yours to do with as you wish. Investment takes time, and your own finances have been stunted as a result.”

(As for the reforging, I think that would be an appeal to Owain at the time and not actually a stipulation of the gift.)

“Although I would be a willing test subject for any of your riskier solutions.”

The journey through Logres is easy enough, the Earl is in reasonably high spirits, though he steers any conversation away from the king and you can tell he is worried. Soon you find yourself overlooking the border to Malahaut.

“Knights” the Earl says “What do you think we should do to proceed? Malahaut is not a safe territory. Since the invasion the Centurion King has not had full control of his lands and bandits, Saxons and worse likely roam.”

(Last time we rode to Malahaut to Eboracum, we abided by the custom of leaving armour and horses at the border. Is that still the expected default, or has the upheaval changed things somewhat?

I certainly suggest whatever the answer is to the above we ride armed and armoured on our best horses and risk upset rather than any danger on the road)

“We are a diplomatic envoy, and my standing as equal with the King on the council means the rules for visiting are different. We may keep horses and armour but for the sake of a smooth negotiation, let us stow our armour and spears as we near the city”

Two options - stick by the main road, or avoid it.

The road is faster, travelled by others, and it is a known route (to Owain, Balen and presumably Roderick) who may well already have in mind the more dubious stretches in terms of poor visibility etc.

However, that is also the route that most traders and travellers will take, so would be the most watched by bandits and raiders.

If the road is avoided, then we will have to forge our own path across country. Slower going, greater unknowns, less likely to meet anyone, but possibly harder to avoid an encounter.

Balen feels the road will be more secure, and cowardly raiders will no doubt think twice about attacking an armoured column.

Plus, any Saxon enemies on the road can be spotted at a greater distance, allowing him to control his own ‘urges’

(Well, this was meant to have been posted earlier, but it will still work!)

Merrick, since the onset of the journey, is in rather good spirits displaying a well-pleased smirk from time to time when the group is camped and he lost in thought. Though he is not distracted by his thoughts when traveling on the road and keeps his wits about him. He spent the majority of his time squiring in the northern parts of Salisbury and is aware of the hidden dangers which can lurk in the shadows and forests along the boarders of Logres and Malahaut.

Sensing the Earl not wanting to discuss serious matters, while camped or on the road during the journey north to the border, Merrick will try and keep the conversation light. He will congratulate Sir Balen on his marriage by lightheartedly stating, “You are lucky Sir Tanwyn won you… But I would avoid getting into too grievous of an argument with her, least you forget she could easily land a pointed argument!”

Continuing to try and keep the conversation light, in passing he will bring up Lady Sebrina. Lightly probing the Earl and the others to see if he can garner more information about the Lady…

Bringing him back up to speed with the story…

As they approach the border, Merrick grows more serious. He served several different knights as a squire, due to them being killed in dangerous skirmishes in northern parts of Logres. Over the years, serving knights which were given risky assignments has shaped his opinions on travelling in ‘volatile’ areas.

“Are there any reports of any villages currently inhabited by the Saxons between us and Eburacum, Earl Roderick?” he asks.