Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Great Pendragon Campaign Part 2

(((Chance Encounter off course!!!
But I need to sleep now…sorry, I really need the bed.
Good night… but that Card seems interesting! Let hope that it make all these fumbles to lead to interesting stories!)))).

(They look fine if you put the space between the name and the card like Owain and Ullin’s)

Hogarth

Merciful vs 10 d20: 5
Cruel vs 10 d20: 10

Ooh a crit! I’m sure there’s a Silchester knight somewhere working his way into Leddicus’ rightful seat!

Cynian

Honest d20: 6 vs 14

If it fails

Deceitful d20: 12 vs 6

It’s not Leddicus’ seat, but Sir Elad has arrived and no-one has told him that as he was not a part of your unit, he is to feast in the courtyard. With his limp particularly bad after a long day in the saddle and standing at Stonehenge, he has sat among you all, in the seat allocated for Sir Percyvallus, who is off reciting his poetry.

Elad tucks into his carefully selected food, and you all know, after your adventure with the pernickety knight, how fussy he is about what he eats - and perhaps his extroverted mannerisms have grated with Hogarth this year as you take great pleasure watching Sir Percyvallus as he watches his food disappear, for of course, who could or would sent Sir Elad out into the cold!

Of course Sir Cynian is often the centre of attention, he is undoubtedly one of the most handsome knights of the realm, but when Lady Ealasaid, wife of the bodyguard of King Amans propositioned him, he was not tempted and sent the irritable knight in her direction, earning the praise of the Manchester party, Lady Ealasaid is a beauty, and prone to wandering behaviour that embarrasses her husband no end.

(So… Just so I am clear and certain, if I took ‘King of the Bean’ I would be forced to draw cards for the rest of the feast and if one is a “Keeper” card, I have to take the other card? Also, is that +3 Geniality for every round, or a one time? And finally, what would be a ‘Disguising’ for a funeral?)

Yes, if you took King of the Bean, you would only be able to draw cards for the rest of the feast, and yes, you would have to discard any keeper cards. That would be +3 for every round that you hold this card yes!

For a funeral, you would be dressed in a great cape made from a gigantic black wolf, it’s head and upper jaw a hood.

a little bit like this

This ancient costume has been donned at Pagan funerals by the one who finds a wolf’s tooth in their food, buried by the cooks so it cannot be guessed, and it is a great honour to play the part of Black Shuck, the dog that the Cymric pagans believe belongs to the God of the underworld (Pluto or Hades, depending on which flavour of paganism is followed). It is this dog’s role to clear the way into the underworld for the deceased, and this is done by obeying the commands of your masters - in this case, feast attendees who are trying to guide the Prince to either Hades or Pluto.

The commands are simple and designed to demonstrate the virtues of the Prince to the denizens who might try to impede his procession into death, so you might be asked to draw your sword and hold it aloft to scare the beetlemanics (not to be mistaken for beatlemaniacs, they only get scared by the next Wings album) back into hiding or growl with as many feasters as you can gather to give the sycamore-door the correct password, and you will usually get two or three such requests an hour.

Truly a sight to watch, Cubeth smiles wryly as Cynian sends Lady Ealasaid on her way after her very obvious advances fell on deaf ears. She approaches her brother’s friend and quietly, yet mirthfully says, “I never thought I would see the day Cynian! Sending a prize back into the wild… Are you well?” Her playful smile seeming to grow twice its size. Though her leg has still been bothering her, the sharp pains have faded and her good humour seems to have returned.

The two barely have a chance to speak before the Lady’s husband approaches. After being directed by Sir Cynian which way to find his wife, the knight departs. As she watches the irritable man stalk his wife, she notices Sir Elad sitting where Sir Percyvallus was seated and thinks to herself: I really should eat something… It is going to be a long evening, and I am going to need my strength if I am to see it to its end.

“I should go and eat something. It is awe-inspiring how strict the nuns in the chirurgery can be about maintaining ones strength in recovering… But before I go…” She leans in and whispers quietly something into Cynian’s ear and then departs for her seat.

Upon arriving she notices her cup of wine has been taken. She rolls her eyes thinking: Knowing my luck it was probably a rather excellent wine… This would never have happened if my cup was not destroyed in the ambush… She calls for a new one and when it arrives she looks at it rather intently. The cup is plain and simple. Standard and unremarkable, and she wonders if it is by design so drunken guests to Sarum are not tempted to take it with them; or if they do go missing, it is of no great loss. While taking a moderate draught, she reflects back upon the tableware used in Silchester and how even the most basic of items are finely decorated. The wine is good, but nothing exciting. Perhaps this is a different vintage… She ponders as she picks up a small pie.

She bites into the pastry, and the crispy, flaky exterior gives way to something solid and unyielding. She nearly breaks a tooth on the object! She pulls the hard object from the pie to inspect it further and discovers it is a wolf’s tooth…

(King of the Bean, please! I could not let your research go unused! It would be rude.)

Research? That’s generous for something I removed entirely from my posterior!

‘About things real’ for Owain
d20: 3 vs Spiritual 10
d20: 15 vs Worldly 10
If needed, d20: 18 vs 1 Faery Lore

On asked about whether he believes in Faeries and magic, Owain will state that he’s seen a few things that can only be subscribed to such origins. However the story he chooses to speak about is that of Sir Angaz and the manticore. Although there is some mention of ‘magic’ like the Fae wood burnt to keep the manticore at bay, the tale is more about a fantastical beast, and the hunting of the creature. Although entertaining, is not the quite the tale of Faeries and wild magic that Owain’s questioner had hoped for

Cynian smirks at Cubeth, “Even I would not stoop so low as to lay with a man’s bride during a funeral… probably. Off with you little Silchester before I duel you with the cutlery!”

His tone playful as he laughs at her reddened face. She holds herself with grace before whispering the bit of gossip. He nods and quietly whispers something back.

After she leaves, he contacts one of the stewards about someone who would play the part of the Black Shuck perfectly before returning to his seat with a malicious grin.

Leddicus, a Lady Delyth has approached you “Sir, I wonder if I might speak with you” she says in a broad Cambrian accent. “I am given to understand that there is a knight present who lives in a cursed manor, Choldatown - would you tell me the stories that you know of that place so that I might approach Sir Hogain with all the information I need to ask him about it?”

Leddicus, please make a check against faerie lore.

Leddicus Farie Lore 1 (typically Roman!)
d20: 18

Well, you didn’t manage to help her out with her problem, but she likes you well enough and is going to accompany you as long as you are not entertaining other ladies.

Leddicus smiles, widening his arms, in a sign of humble surprise.
“I’m sorry milady…but it looks like in a huge hall filled with Cymric knights…you picked the only Roman, who does not know anything about Cymric legends!
It is maybe the fact that I oddly sit here on the floor, milady, that confused you!”

She waves her hand “Ah, well, perhaps you may accompany me in speaking with Hogain. Worry not about oddness Sir, when you grow up in Cambria, oddness is normality and normality is most decidedly odd!”

((I would love it if Sir Hogain from Choldatown was real; Hogarth’s hidden nemesis…))