Home Videos Games Podcastle

The Deep Forest PBF

For a long time, our monstrous home was occupied by invading humans. Now, finally, we’ve driven them off, and we’re left with this: a year of relative peace. One quiet year, with which to dismantle their settlements and reclaim our lands. Come Winter, a band of heroes will arrive and we might not survive the encounter. This is when the game will end. But we don’t know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, we monsters have an opportunity for healing and self-discovery in our deep forest, away from human eyes.

The Deep Forest is a map game of post-colonial weird fantasy. It’s a re-imagining of The Quiet Year, one that centers upon monstrosity and decolonization.

So far, our players are:
Me (@MinuteWalt, “facilitator,” but all that means is I have no power over anyone, I just get to do the paperwork. This is the essence of a co-op game)
@Cokho
@whistle_pig
@lovvbar
@brian

We have room for one, or maybe two more, but more than that gets really confusing, it’s recommended for 2-5. EDIT 10/15 We have maxed out our players. It’s PBF, though, allowances can be made for stretching rules if someone needs to drop out or if someone really really really wants to play.

The discussion channel is open to all SH&SD members if you want to comment, suggest, or just give us the mick. I linked it above, here’s another one.

We’d just appreciate comments from the peanut gallery be done there, opposed to in-line with the actual game, it’s jarring. (We won’t be mad if you post it here by mistake, but it will be moved or removed appropriately to keep it easier to read, which, believe me, if you’re not playing this at a table, you’re going to have do a lot of scrolling up and down to keep up).

We’re going to be setting up our scenario below, I’ll copy/paste from the discussion, but then we’ll get the game on once we kind of get into the groove.

2 Likes

OK, anyone please, PLEASE, fix this if you want to, but we’re starting off with this blank slate. It’s not the best, which is part of the point. (It’s a little bigger than it appears on most screens, I enlarged the original by 100 before I did my crappy mods).

But here’s a nice, clean-ish, space. I usually right-click and do a “save as” for each new addition to the map, and then try to mouse right-handed in Paint (technically, I’m not left-handed even though that’s the hand I usually use to draw and write with. I’m not really ambidextrous, though. I’m ambisinistrous, which means I suck with both of my hands equally).

If everyone’s cool with this, we’ll finally get started.

(EDIT: yes, I just did a Select and Delete to bits of @Cokho’s original map and frikking line painted boxes. There were parts of the border missing from the original game, though, at least, eventually. God, Paint sucks, but the select/move/delete thing is a quick fix. Who the hell needs an auto lasso tool now?!!!? GIMP, Photoshop, Clip?!?! Screw you guys!)

4 Likes

We’re not sure where we came from, originally, or why we are so diverse, but we’ve found a sheltered place to live. The Occupation seems to have forgotten about us.

2 Likes

OK, we already established this is an abandoned mine under a rain-forest in the back-channel. If everyone is cool, the public game is afoot! (Players update)

1 Like

92a21951865f9e4f33e1204071a8c9995dedc7d4_2_690x487

This is One of the many entrance of our mine, our mountain. What is for us a home was for the Occupation a source of gems and minerals. We are reminded of that eveytime we see the railroad and the machinery they left behind.

3 Likes

Forgive me for this monstrosity.

1 Like

Players, please click here.

1 Like

This is their shrine, a carved figure tucked within the first chamber. They called it El Tio, and left it offerings of lit candles, cigarettes, and rotgut liquor. Some say it looks like them. Some say it looks like us.

2 Likes

Jackanapes actually lives above the mine, in a tree growing in front of an old mine entrance he laxidasically guards. He comes into the mine when it’s raining too hard, when it’s too hot, or to visit with the other monsters.

4 Likes

Choula’k is/are difficult to grasp. They look like a huge worm, with tons little legs coming in and out of its main body as it advance. Their two claws/jaws are used to dig inside the mine, and they’re trying to grow the mine deeper, excavating while making sure it is still safe to live for everyone. They sometime can be cut in two or three, either by force or by their own will. Each “piece” work separately before rejoining after some time.

4 Likes

That’s weirdly adorable.

2 Likes

Antax found a secluded corner of the mine, and settled there. She can move, but only very slowly. The other monsters bring her sustenance, and in return she dispenses nutritious nectar. Nobody likes to enquire too closely into how it is made…

4 Likes

Sooooo…her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard? Never mind, I’m so very sorry.

I am the worst person ever.

@lovvbar you are up.

3 Likes

It can be hard to determine their number, the Nuuc!h, because they change position when they aren’t being observed, and when they are being observed they always appear to be more than they are - like a drunk seeing double. There might be one, there might be a hundred. Regardless, they live deep in the mine, they went until they couldn’t go farther. They do make some of the others nervous, but no one has any reason to fear them, necessarily.

Well. Not any more.

4 Likes

Quantum entangled animals always give me the creeps.

@brian! You’re up!

1 Like

The two Tommies roost upside down among the stalactites where they sip the cool, mineral drips. On leathery wings they traverse the mine easily, often venturing outside at night. At times couriers and messengers, they tap out warnings against the stone walls and ceilings to alert the mine’s residents. Ever cautious of light, but always fascinated by shiny baubles.

4 Likes

They are perfect! They seem just right for this environment.

OK, everyone make one suggestion for a Taboo/Adopted remnant of the Humans, we’ll keep going left-to-right. Once everyone’s chimed in, we’ll pick one of them to be “Adopted” and the rest to be “Taboo.”

My suggestion is “Radioactive ore.” It’s a mine, maybe that’s what they were mining? Also it could go either way: This could be either a boon to Monsters, or something horrible.

We will draw representations once we’ve decided what’s Adopted, and the rest are Taboo. The player who suggested it will indicate it on the map once we’ve figured it out.

And f%ck me, I forgot to take my Occupation Border turn, sorry guys, I’m a horrible facilitator, I’ll do it now.

1 Like

(My tardy Occupation Border):

You can’t just have a mine without a quarry, can you? And you can’t have a quarry in a rain forest without it becoming filled with rain at some point. The multiple tiers of the strip-mine have been all but lost due to natural rainfall and erosion.

3 Likes

I think one of the humans remnant we have to deal with is Graveyards. When they died, from illness, overwork, accident or else, they would not go to the trouble to bring their corpses back to their hometown. So now we have the graveyard left.

3 Likes

Nice!

Radioactive ore
Graveyard

This is shaping up well.

@whistle_pig?

1 Like