Home Videos Games Podcastle

TableHop! Beer brewing, wine making, for tabletop gamers (and general fermentation)

That looks lovely, my Funky friend. Keep the pictures coming! (if it pleases you, obviously you do whatever you like, you don’t have to send pics if you don’t want to.)

(That being said, I am so glad I started this thread, that looks so cool!)

We attempted to use the Grainfather this week end, but the four attachements for the cooling coil do not fit my taps. To the hardware store!

I may also email Grainfather with pictures of my taps so they can help.

Also, we need names for a brown ale. It’ll be 6% and based on Jackie Brown by Mikkeller. Suggestions, please!

A’Rovin Ale

(from the lyrics to “A Pair of Brown Eyes” by The Pogues)

Also, we need names for a brown ale. It’ll be 6% and based on Jackie Brown by Mikkeller. Suggestions, please!

What about “Foul-Mouth

First brew with The Grainfather done. Pitching yeast, even with the Grainfather, is a complete bastard. There was frantic airlock activity for a few hours, but nothing since. It doesn’t taste too bad, a little twangy, and the grain was the wrong crush for the equipment. With what we’ve learned - and having a conversation with the head brewer at Double Barreled - we’re going to pitch at 20 degrees C (68F).

We used 200g of hops for a 22l batch. Hoppy! Maybe too hoppy. I’m hoping the secondary fermentation will kickstart the yeast and remove the slight twang in the taste.

Stout next.

Ha! Sounds great!

I used to love the twang, but got much more into heavy malt in recent years.

Good job keeping notes, btw, brewing tends to have different results depending on where you’re doing it (water, weather, humidity, all kinds of stuff), and you can’t always depend on someone else’s recipe, even with the amazing piece of tech that is The Grainfather.

(Weirdly enough, no matter how much beer we had to drink when we were brewing, we never had a problem pitching yeast! :rofl: Our issues were more sparging the wort or bottling).

200g of Citra only, too.

Sparging isn’t a problem for us - we have a heater that keeps the water at 75C (167F). Then it’s a case of transferring it. Grainfather wants you to sparge pre-boil.

Bottling we’ve only had one bottle explosion, which isn’t bad in approx.200 bottles.

Pitching yeast though. So tricky. We’re looking into a conical fermenter next. Secondary fermentation is always in-bottle.

I think I’ve said this before, but I can’t be arsed to look it up, it’s a little after 6am here and I’m tired and writing like an idiot. Seriously, I’m a horrible mod.

In several batches, we went secondary in another carboy and then went tertiary either in the first carboy (which we had cleaned/sterilized out by then) or bottle conditioning/cellaring. It’s a bit of extra work, but I think the main pain-in-the-butt is the wait.
The patience.
It was maddening.

Holy cow, we had to wait for so long until it became something “good,” to something “interesting,” to something “what the even f- is this amazing elixir of the gods?”

When we started doing bottle conditioning as late as possible, we got zero pops from the bottles, and they all had a nice creamy head.

(And it can still always go wrong and become malt vinegar, which isn’t as cool, and a huge disappointment, but most assuredly dandy anyway. We made a great hot-sauce trying to brew a chili-beer).

I have not forgot about my boiling water video, I have just been busy and sadly this weekend we added more stuff to sort to the basement :neutral_face: so it may be a bit longer.

Also, for us in the Midwest, when we had the polar vortex, that would have been ideal for brewing! Nice boiling maltyness, bubbling on the hob, providing humidity and warmth… Also, just set your pot outside with the lid cracked and chilling would have been a breeze! Would have been perfect for brewing lagers as my house struggled to keep warm! (I always did 5 gallon batches, so was still able to sling it about without having risk to injury.)

I would do my initial fermentation in a plastic bucket and left most of the yeast left behind on the transfer; then secondary in a glass carboy wrapped in a blanket (so UV light would not mess with the hop compounds in the brew); and finally bottle condition for fuzziness.

Sounds like you may have your issue pinpointed, but for others who are struggling with brewing issues (and like to create paperwork), perhaps developing a HACCP plan could potentially be helpful…

Just decanted another 3l of Blackberry whisky to age for a year. Yum yum.

Will also definitely make Rosehip Vodka again this year - it was delicious

But rosehips are so extreme! Did they mellow out?

A year? You have the patience of a saint!

Has anyone got any good brown ale recipes? And what ABV makes a good brown ale? I am erring on the side of strong, so 6%. Most of the recipes we found vastly differ, very few of the grain and hop elements remain the same, and it seems many types of yeast are suitable.

Such a difficult one to design.

Do you want to malt your own grains? (I recommend, if for the only fact that it makes the whole house smell fantastic!!!)

Otherwise, there’s a good Pete’s Wicked clone here, although I’d up the Klages malt to 10 oz or go for a whole 7lb of extract, and let it brew for longer in the carboy in secondary. With dry-hopping, I like the sweet to contrast the bitter, but that may be just because I’m getting old and lazy, and I like a stronger beer.

I need to check the process, but generally I’ll buy them malted. If it makes economic sense, I’ll check it out. Is the process long and drawn out?

I like the dry hop idea, but I think for the first brew, it’ll be with as little additions as possible, so we get a good idea of what the base bill produces.

A bit of research, and Klages malt isn’t available any more. It suggests a substitute such as Harrington. It’s a US malt, so wondering if I should just sub it for an English malt (Maris Otter, for example).

:hushed: That got my attention! I always wanted to brew with that, but was always so hard to source back when I was brewing!

Are you based in the US? It’s predominantly a UK grain, so probably a lot less available in the US. It’s a base grain, most beers here are brewed with it. Not sure about what UK beers are imported but if they’re a pale, or similar, they probably have a bae of Maris Otter.

:cry: Yup… And not anywhere near a place I could have gotten it easily.

Actually, quite a few! Probably one of the more better ones being Samuel Smith. I have a 4 pack of Nut Brown Ale in the house at the moment (well 3/4 of a 4 pack…).

If you do get imports (not sure what makes it over there) then the following are worth keeping an eye on, depending on the style you like.

DIPAs, NEIPAs, IPAs, Pales - Left-Handed Giant, Cloudwater, Verdant
Stouts - Buxton, BrewDog (they may be big and corporate now, but they still do good stouts)
Brown Ales - Cloudwater, Unity
Belgian, Sours etc. - Siren, Chorlton

Anything from the above breweries is worth a look, if you can get them. I have seen Siren in Florida, so they have reach.