Home Videos Games Podcastle

TableHop! Beer brewing, wine making, for tabletop gamers (and general fermentation)

Honestly, those slap-on plastic thermometers are fine (the ribbon-thin ones that look like a rainbow and are only a mm thick or so). I know I was kind of lackadaisical about a hydrometer, earlier, but a cheap-ass thermometer is actually less important than a good hydrometer.

You can just stick one of those thermometers on the side of the carboy (sparge or post-sparge). It gives you “good-enough” info. A decent but still pretty generic candy thermometer gives you “good-enough” temperature readings during the boil and mash.

The thermometer tells you when you’re ready for the next “RIGHT-NOW!” step when everything is hot, but the hydrometer tells you when your ready for the next “oh, heck, I should call some friends and my cousin for Thursday!”

I do know what you’re saying, I’m sorry if this doesn’t directly address your response, the most Funkiest of Jems. (@FunkJem, for anyone who didn’t catch that. Seriously…)

It’s both art and science, no one really knows how to do it totally right, and we’ll always screw it up (except for when we don’t, and then it’s amazing!)

I know that I have a solution to the issue… but it is not a cheap one. It sounds like what you are looking for is a submersible data logger with wifi remote download capabilities. There is such a thing… but it is not practical in terms of pricing for homebrewing.

Here are some options that are not cheap by any means, but are still options. I am sure there are cheaper solutions out there. These are more examples of what type of systems to look for, as both of these items are still pretty expensive.

http://www.madgetech.com/data-loggers/product-applications/laboratory-and-r-amp-d-applications/microtemp.html

https://www.thermoworks.com/BlueTherm-IR

Personally, I do not use these. I have only used the long thermometer for boiling and cooling and then for monitoring the temp during fermentation I used the stick on “aquarium style” thermometer. In my searching though I found a video that shows a similar style of a stick on thermometer. It is not a great video… But you will get the idea.

I made a mistake, recently, and this isn’t directly related to brewing. It’s a bit ancillary.

I had a flat beer that had been sitting around after a gathering (someone had put it down in a spot that was hard to see, and weirdly no one noticed it for a few days). So, I decided to use it to help water my potted herbs (not that kind of herb! Basil, culantro, (which is different than cilantro but tastes similar and is hardier here,) mint, parsley, etc.)

Well, it turns out that was very wrong. Like an idiot, I only looked up gardening advice after I had done it. It turns out that slugs and snails are attracted to beer, and it would have been better used in a shallow pan near the herbs as a type of trap.

This just after they ate all my cilantro and oregano, and are now going after my basil! :rage: I’m pulling out the crushed eggshells for a weapon, to heck with those slimy jerks!

So, from the several articles I’ve read, the take-away is: everything that you use to make beer isn’t bad for your garden, but beer itself is best used as a slug-trap.

Dangit!

We brew on Thursday!

However, my hop supplier only has 100g Citra hops and my recipe needs 150g.

What would you guys use as a repalcement? I’m thinking Centennial, Amarillo or Cascade. The recipe is below:

0.20 kg CHÂTEAU CARA GOLD NATURE® (120.0 EBC) Grain 1 5.1 %
0.20 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 5.1 %
0.15 kg Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 3.8 %
3.40 kg Light Malt Extract (12.0 EBC) Dry Extract 4 86.1 %
10.00 g Citra [14.93 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 15.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
25.00 g Citra [14.93 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 14.9 IBUs
25.00 g Citra [14.93 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 8.2 IBUs
2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -
90.00 g Citra [14.93 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Centennial and Amarillo are going to be pretty close in AA%, right? The dry-hopping Citra addition should have a substantial enough effect on the aroma that you could probably replace the 10 min and 5 min hops easiest. If you can get a good sniff of them to compare, grab whichever aroma you like better.

Love the insane precision your brewing program offers in its recipes, btw.