Home Videos Games Podcastle

SUSD reviews you don't agree with

You just reminded me how I dislike Twitter UI. I can’t zoom this thing! :yum:

I think I looked at the pics on the homepage, before installing the Twitter app. Now I can’t zoom, either… :sweat_smile:

7 Wondera Duel, such a great game!

I’ll go to my grave believing that Coup is a far more enjoyable bluffing game than Skull, and Celestia is a much more interesting push your luck game than Diamant.

Not an actual review, but a few podcasts ago Quinns was very dismissive of Bunny Kingdom.

I bought because

A: Richard Garfield generally gets all my money

and

2: Bunnies! (I have a 7 year old granddaughter who plays with us)

It’s a very good game, in our opinion.

Our favourite thing about the bois’ reviews is that they don’t just tell you whether they like a game or not, they generally tell you why they like a game or not.

The Isle of Doctor Necreaux has cropped up a few times in this thread, and I honestly understand people disliking it (I was disappointed by it too, the first time I played it), but for those who feel that way and didn’t actually get rid of it, there’s something important to know – while it may not be a great game, it gets much better with more players. It ostensibly supports 1-5 players, but I wouldn’t want to play it with fewer than 4.

Most of the fun of the game derives from the random collection of character attributes in play – three per character – and how you collectively make use of them; so quite simply the more players there are, the more attributes (and hence options) there are in play, and the more fun and engaging the game and its puzzle becomes.

You probably still have things you’d much rather play – even having a fondness for the game (and its lovely Flash Gordon-esque art style doesn’t hurt there), it’s not one that I bring to the table with any kind of regularity – but having experienced it at its best, I don’t see myself ever getting rid of it.

Of course you might well have played it with 4+ and still hated it; but just in case…

Through the Ages, obviously. I mean, I’m still not even sure what Matt and Quinns really think of the game, but Paul obviously didn’t like it, and followed that up with scathing remarks in several podcasts. And yet, sure, I’m willing to concede that their primary concern - that it can be too long for beginners - can be valid.

On, and Twilight Struggle. Not sure if they ever really reviewed this, but I remember criticism along the lines of the opening moves being mapped out too thoroughly, which just seems silly. The game branches too fast for that to be an issue, and the extent to which opening moves are discussed is only indicative of it being so popular for so long.