Home Videos Games Podcastle

SUSD reviews you don't agree with

I usually agree with the reviews but sometimes the guys are just. Plain. WRONG. :wink:

Spartacus - I love this game. I haven’t experienced the problems SUSD mentioned. Intrigue Phase not deep? It is once you learn what cards are in the deck. Combat takes too long? Only against cowards who think they can save themselves by running away. Seriously, Spartacus is excellent and I know I’m not alone here.

K2 - the guys loved it. Me? I think it’s a math-fest. Most information is available to the players, you can plan for several turns ahead and by the time you start counting cards and crunching numbers, the theme is gone. You can optimize every move, just solve the equation. Nope, not my kind of game.

What about you?

The biggest one that comes to mind for me (and if I remember the comments rightly I doubt I’ll be alone) is Takenoko. I acknowledge all the flaws they pointed out, yet I still love it for what it is, a gorgeous little game with a cute panda that is very non-aggressive yet still a competitive game. It’s by no means my favourite game, but it is so good for getting people into the hobby that I was saddened to see it slammed¹ in the opener. I am yet to pull it out with someone and have it fail.

¹. Almost certainly an exaggeration, but it was by no means praised or recommended which saddens me.

Hmmm. I’m sure there are more, but the only one I can think of at the moment is Eldritch Horror. I really like that game while the SU&SD crew were lukewarm at best.

The fellows reviewed Village a while back and liked it if memory serves. I played it once when I was a bit more open-minded about worker placement type games but that experience still causes me involuntary shudders. I know there are people that really enjoy it and that it’s won many major awards (although no leg lamps with fishnet stockings as of this writing), but I found it to be an endless, tiresome, boring slog through what is now my least favorite game feature: assigning domestic chores to imaginary people. You know, lack of player elimination isn’t always a good thing; I would’ve paid real money to be eliminated from about 10 - 15 minutes in. Mind you, this is only my own personal opinion, yours may (and indeed probably will) differ, but I really disliked it.

The Isle of Doctor Necreaux

Bloody awful. I’ve not known anyone else like it.

I do enjoy Village, but I’m not sure K2 is actually fun (I did kinda enjoy freezing to death on the peak on Saturday, though).

King of Tokyo. We love the game but without the expansion otherwise it outstays its welcome because the new elements are mainly boosting the defensive abilities.

In fear of being flogged in public, I really dont like any Vlaada games. Exept Space Alert. I just find his games too much like petting a porcupine. There’s a clunkiness to the gameplay of many of his games that I just find unbearable. I hope I’ll never play Galaxy Trucker again, ever.

On the other hand, I really love Lewis & Clark.

King of Tokyo. We love the game but without the expansion otherwise it outstays its welcome because the new elements are mainly boosting the defensive abilities.

We house-ruled about 15 upgrade cards out of the game (just base set no expansions) and found it much improved. There were a few removed for being ‘over-powered’ and a few that deliberately lengthened the game and one that just involved the player who had it to lose any kind of interaction at all while they tried to roll one of each symbol in a corner on their own, but yes - I enjoyed my 50-odd plays of KoT :slight_smile: AGREED!

Takenoko sticks out for me too. I mean there are games SU&SD like that I don’t, but I still agree with the reviews - in those cases it’s a just a matter of taste. With Takenoko though I didn’t think it needed quite the panning, I think it is a ‘decent game’ and worthy of recommendation, even though it might not be to others’ tastes.

Not that I hold anything against Matt for this, of course! The whole SU&SD crew are top bananas and it doesn’t really bother me :slight_smile:

Power Grid. I despise this game so much. I find it unengaging, dry and too long. I rage sold my copy and never looked back.

Sentinels of the Multiverse - I think they said it was too fiddly and mathsy, but I’ve played well over 100 games now and I still love it.

Also Mice & Mystics got a negative review on here, which I agreed with for the first few missions I played. But after that I found myself becoming happy with my character and getting into the ridiculous story.

Arctic Scavengers is the only one I’ve ever really disagreed with. It was just incredibly mediocre when compared to other deckbuilders like Trains and I promptly got rid of it.

I had the same initial negative reaction after buying K2, but I think the game gets significantly better when you make it harder. If you play with summer weather on the easy side of the mountain, then it’s just whoever can math their way up to the top first and it’s boring. When you switch in the harder settings, you might not be able to get either of your climbers to the top at all without killing them, and it makes the game more interesting.

But no matter what you do, it still doesn’t have much player interaction. Though in that way, it’s not much worse than like Dominion or something.

Quinns didn’t like Lords of Waterdeep, and I think that game is just fine. It’s not amazingly deep and my girlfriend and I play it with more than a few house rules, but it’s the kind of thing that you can play with a significant other and just relax and enjoy their company instead of fighting to completely crush them.

Paul and Quinns also sounded unimpressed at Pandante, which I loved! Sure, it’s not quite as simple as just playing the card game BS, but it’s amazingly fun in all the same ways as BS, and it has enough strategy that you can keep playing it over and over and it stays interesting. It’s main issue as far as I’m concerned is that it has more edge-case rules than I wish it did. (When I teach it, I take out the Joker and the Panda Lords which seems to work pretty well.)

Quinns didn't like Lords of Waterdeep, and I think that game is just fine. It's not amazingly deep and my girlfriend and I play it with more than a few house rules, but it's the kind of thing that you can play with a significant other and just relax and enjoy their company instead of fighting to completely crush them.

Oh yeah, LoW! That’s a pretty big one for me. It’s definitely one of my favourite “low intensity” eurogames.

Tokaido. I seem to remember they liked it? It’s pretty, but empty.

For the most part, I feel like I’m pretty good at knowing when I won’t like a game even though the boys did. There aren’t many of their recommendations that I’ve actually tried and then not enjoyed.

Infamy? :wink:

I only played it once, but didnt think it was an awful game.

Not that SUSD “reviewed” it as such, but they made their feelings about it known.

Takenoko is by far the biggest miss, in my opinion. Mind you - I agree with mostly everything they said about the game, and am not a fan of it myself. But saying you shouldn’t introduce people to the hobby using it, that they’ll just get bored to death and never want to see a game again, was just plain bad advice… Many many people have been introduced to the hobby, or seduced to delve deeper, because of that game. It has many, many characteristics that make it very appealing to new gamers, or to introduce people to other games - especially those that aren’t usually attracted to common themes, like fantasy, sci-fi, or trading in the Mediterranean.

I also think the Theseus review missed the mark a bit. I already commented about it in the video’s comments, but it kinda bothers me that, when a game is centered around its mechanics and not necessarily the theme-mechanics integration, reviewers are ok as long as the theme is super bland. Splendor is the perfect example. But as soon as the theme is a bit more daring, even if it does integrate with the mechanisms (which Theseus does, maybe not through the board movement and combat - which I actually think it does -, but through the factions, their cards and victory conditions), it gets flak. The same thing has happened with Abyss more recently, which was called out on the theme-mechanism integration not only by SU&SD but also other reviewers (though Paul & Quinns had other, gameplay-related concerns). If they were gems being collected in those cards, everyone would be ok with it. I don’t get it.

I like Lewis & Clark a lot too. A lot of reviewers complained about AP, but that has never been a problem with us.

We house-ruled about 15 upgrade cards out of the game (just base set no expansions) and found it much improved. There were a few removed for being ‘over-powered’ and a few that deliberately lengthened the game and one that just involved the player who had it to lose any kind of interaction at all while they tried to roll one of each symbol in a corner on their own, but yes - I enjoyed my 50-odd plays of KoT :slight_smile: AGREED!

Oh I totally forgot KoT too! Not that it’s been reviewed, but I know Quinns doesn’t like it. I played this twice today at work over lunch! The first game was short, but the second took aaaages - too many cards and too much back and forth with attacking and healing. I can certainly see its flaws but it’s been a good gateway for friends and I can’t wait to show my son when he’s older. I guess I don’t really disagree with Quinns that much, except I think he said it was boring until your own turn - I find the interaction with who’s in or out of Tokyo is interesting, and what cards are coming out and who’s being hit is all worth staying on top of.

Anyway with all that said Ben, would you mind sharing your list of house-rule-removed cards please? I definitely think it could do with being snappier. I’m guessing the baby card as that is just stupid, but what else do you take out?

The Isle of Doctor Necreaux

Bloody awful. I’ve not known anyone else like it.

You know me! Well, actually you don’t, but you get the point. I doubt the rest of my group cares for it, but it works fine for me solo.