Home Videos Games Podcastle

Sugguestions for 1 Vs. 1 3D fighting games?

Any opinions about recent 2 player fighting games? Dead or Alive, Tekken, Virtua Fighter?

I got a couple of bucks in my pocket and I realized I have almost nothing in that genre on a modern console. (No multi-everybody brawler suggestions, I’m all Smash Bros out).

While I do like 2D fighters like Skullgirls, MK, Street Fighter, and all those Capcom and “Vs.” things, I was hoping for a recommendation for a 3D fighter.

It’s been a long time. My thumbs are atrophying.

I got into tekken on the ps3 a good few years ago and loved it enough to find a player I could beat people at (hwoarang but this is couch vs days) but can’t attest towards the more recent iterations.

I enjoyed it’s grappling feel and found it less of a jump from SF than virtual fighter. Note on my tastes love SF and i can play mortal kombat but don’t enjoy it, never been able to figure out why.

To be a contrarian I recently bought samurai showdown on the PS4 and although I haven’t sunk much time into it yet I’ve found it notably different from any 2d game I had played before (my first samurai showdown game to be fare).

In an tangential note I often think of Quinn’s and the contender podcast and wonder if he still plays SFV?

1 Like

When samurai shodown is released on PC I’m def. gonna pick it up. Otherwise I only play Dragonball Fighterz, which is incredible, but 2d.

2 Likes

I do like the “suddenly oh, now I lost” conceit of Shodown, I should probably take another look. My favorite fighters of all time were Bushido Blade 1, 2 and Kengo: Master of Bushido, games where they admitted “oh, yeah, a sword to the head or the throat or the spine isn’t something you need a life-bar to tell you that you ded”.

They also had the hilarious mechanic where you could take out someone’s legs or arms, or back off while they sprayed arterial blood until death. I know that sounds awful, but in a fighting game it’s actually a lot of fun, and prime fodder for trash-talk.

The Bushido series were still very contemplative games despite the constant action, like chess matches where someone can lose in a fraction of a second, but you still had a lot of maneuvering to get in position to strike (or defend and counter).

I haven’t played any of the Shodown games in years, I should check it out again.

2 Likes

I heard good things about dragonball fighterz but the fact it’s dragonball which I know nothing about puts me off for some reason.

1 Like

Dragonball Z is a weird property. I love it to pieces, but I’m always reticent to try and introduce others to it. One has to look past a lot of pretty lame stuff (even getting past the artstyle - I hated it before I actually watched the show). My opinion: reading it is by far the most pleasant way of consuming the material, but the show is better at communicating the over-the-top action.

The game is smooth like butter, and has a lot of quality of life stuff (like autocombos) that really help hamfisted lunks like me actually have a good time (but they don’t help against actually good people). For a DBZ fan, the game is a love letter written in golden pen, but a non-fan can still appreciate the spectacle. It’s so tight. I love DBZ but I wouldn’t still be playing if the game was bad - it’s really really good.

2 Likes

Back on task: I personally am very interested in Tekken 7. It’s got the most hype in the fgc right now as far as I know, and is strategically incredibly deep. When it goes deeper on sale, I will definitely get it on Steam.

1 Like

Found the ultimate edition of Tekken 7 on green man gaming for 47cad with all discounts applied… So I got it…

1 Like

Nice! Let us know what it’s like.

I am a fan of the series, it’s had a nice flow that didn’t encourage button mashing, and still used a lot of being very aware of closing/evading, with distance and timing being more important than nailing a button combo in a certain framerate (an aside: Divekick, even though it’s kind of a parody of fighters, actually really deconstructed that fighter mechanic brilliantly, IMHO).

At the risk of exposing how old I am, my favorite was 3. I think that was the first where they had satisfying ending stories (Gon’s looping ending really nailed that for me) and started pulling out all the unlockable extras. It may also be one of the few games I really drilled down in to get 100% everything.

1 Like

Initial impression (for someone who’s never played tekken at all) is that I love this game! Haven’t tried anything except some vs with friends though.

1 Like

I started downloading it on the PS4, I was on the edge, but you tipped the balance.

Since I just got paid, and paid my regular bills, my son’s dentist, bought groceries, and filled my scooter’s tank (honestly, though, filling my bike could have been done with spare change found in a car park), I had some cash left over, and it was only $14 US.

And then, like a jerk, I also bought and started downloading Soul Caliber (:shameface: I shouldn’t spend that much on games on the same day. I still had money left and then I felt I needed some “retail therapy” to indulge myself. I know, this is not a good policy for being a responsible adult).

My son went home with his mom and I put the console to sleep while they’re downloading, more info tomorrow.

I’ll leave this thread tonight by mentioning another unappreciated gem, a series that I really liked because it embodied a good fighter with a lot of RPG elements: Way of the Samurai. Sure, the controls were practically upside-down and backwards (why do you need to kick items to grab them, and why…oh, just forget it, talking about this series could almost be its own thread), but once you got used to them, it was a great story-driven fighter series. There have been a lot of comparisons with Shenmue, but Shen is about immersion with a strong fighting engine built in and an epic story built around it, Way is more like a choose-your-own-adventure, with lots of paths to take, and a perfectly servicable fighting-engine (but no forklift races :slightly_frowning_face:).

2 Likes

Loved the first Way of the Samurai to bits. Never got around to the second one. Played a bit of the third one but never got far before getting killed. The combat in that one is pretty brutal. Always meant to get back to it sometime…

1 Like

The first one is the best. I really loved the setting and the characters. The third one was a bit off, but I can’t tell if it was from me acclimating myself to (how do I put this?) the language of button inputs?

It was so weird.There was a story (or, rather, multiple stories) I wanted to see there, but the controls were so odd. But I think they were still similar to the controls from the first one, and the “language” of game inputs evolved since then, so it was a huge pain. Getting into it back in 2002 was really easy, but I think my muscle-memory from all the games in the next few years kind of screwed me.

Also, I think I may be the only other person I know who played the second one. Seriously, the first was the best.

OK, played both the latest Soul Caliber and Tekken games. Remember, these are both Bandai Namco games, so there are some similarities.

Mostly that story mode sucks in both. They don’t make a lot of sense, and the voice actors are phoning it in.
They do try to connect a little with previous iterations, but honestly, who cares? It’s a fighting game!

That being said, the animation and mechanics are great. I haven’t played a proper 3D fighter in a long time, but I can still use most of the timing and movesets I’d memorized way back in the day.

Tekken is still very much focused on repeating or alternating the hands and feet in time (like a rhythm game) and Caliber has a lot of smooshy directional button combinations. I still can control all the old characters like back from 90s and 2000s.

They both use positional defense for high/mid/low, and block button vs. pressing away is annoying to adjust to, but I can work around that.

Jumping and crouching instead of when you mean to be circling is still kind of a pain in the keister, it happens in both games. It’s been decades Bandi Namco, jeeze, get someone on that already!

I also think they nerfed Maxi (or, rather, the “maxi style”) a little in SC. He used to have a really smooth
“infinite combo” way of moving around the screen that was a lot of fun to play, now his animation seems a little disjointed in the way it flows.

Anyway, I’ve only had one night with both of those, these are just my initial impressions, and I like both.

Still up for other 3D fighter recommendations.

1 Like

I’m having a good time with Tekken, but the toolkits are so massive that I’m really having trouble getting used to what tool is for what situation…

This gon’ take some time.

1 Like

Toolkits? Pshaw! I just want to beat on opponents in a ridiculous power-fantasy world!

(I will also tell you what that’s like after a few hours while I’m playing with the toolkits).

The lateral movement is really janky for me, being primarily used to 2d. I wish I could bind the up and down to the bumpers or something instead of ‘a short press of down or up’.

Are you a gamepad or fightstick person (or keyboard?? Daigo is using a keyboard box these days!)?

1 Like

The very early 3D fighters on the first PS had the lateral movement in the shoulder buttons or eschewed that for the joypad (and also a stick for arcade games) and used buttons for jump/block. Why this is now a huge dumb design problem is beyond me. The quick double-tap thing is annoying.

Gamepad. I’m a dad with a lot of stuff I need to take care of, my space management is not conducive to a stick. Honestly, though, I’m used to a handheld and think they’re more responsive to my own, personal, ergonomics from my years of gaming.

I think if I had a stick, though, and acclimated myself to it, having all my fingers available instead of sometimes reassigning things to triggers and shoulder buttons, I’d get a little advantage.

But not enough of an advantage to go through the expense and finding a place to put it to make it worthwhile. Most fighters that I’ve beat have been on controllers, and I’m in my 40s now, I don’t want to get a new set of muscle memories. I like a challenge, but I’m not willing to beat myself over it anymore like when I was in my teens and 20s (and before that, too, I have to admit).

1 Like