Home Videos Games Podcastle

Six degrees

No idea, we’ve got it on DVD.

Anne Bancroft was in Dracula: Dead and Loving It with Peter MacNicol
MacNicol was in Heat with Karen Young
Young was in Daylight with Sylvester Stallone
Stallone was in Get Carter with Michael Caine
Caine was in The Dark Knight Rises with Anne Hathaway

A step could be cut out by directly connecting Young to Caine using Jaws: the Revenge, but it’s Six Degrees, not Five Degrees, plus no one wants to remember that Jaws: the Revenge exists.

Next up: Martin Short to Mike Myers, since both have portrayed The Cat in the Hat! How about that?

1 Like

Martin Short was in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt with Carol Kane
was in Sleepwalk With Me with Loudon Wainwright III
was in Undeclared with Jason Segel
was in The Muppets with Alan Arkin
was in So I Married An Axe Murderer with Mike Myers

Today’s birthdays include Jackie Chan and Russell Crowe. Can you connect 'em?

1 Like

Jackie Chan was in Shanghai Noon with Owen Wilson
who was in Wedding Crashers with Rachel McAdams
who was in Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr
who was in Iron Man with Paul Bettany
who was in A Beautiful Mind with Russell Crowe

A pair of Nick Furys: Samuel L Jackson to David Hasselhoff.

1 Like

That’s kinda hilarious, because I could almost reuse most of what you did. But let’s go a different direction:

Samuel L. Jackson was in Captain America: Winter Soldier with Chris Evans
Evans was in Snowpiercer with Tilda Swinton
Swinton was in Doctor Strange with Rachel McAdams
McAdams was in Wedding Crashers with Vince Vaughn
Vaughn was in Dodgeball with David Hasselhoff

Next: People who had to deal with weird shit, so David Harbour to David Duchovny

1 Like

Damn, I should’ve put in the “no Marvel films” clause.

David K. Harbour was in Stranger Things with Winona Ryder
was in Beetlejuice with Geena Davis
was in The Fly with Jeff Goldblum
was in Portlandia with Kyle MacLachlan
was in Twin Peaks with David Duchovny

Next! Connect H. Jon Benjamin (Sterling Archer) to Jessica Walter (Mallory Archer), using at least one film by The Archers (Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger).

1 Like

Well, this was much more difficult than I’d expected, so here’s one possible method:

H. Jon Benjamin was in The Ten with Winona Ryder
was in How To Make An American Quilt with Jean Simmons
was in Black Narcissus (The Archers) with Deborah Kerr
was in Gypsy Moths with Gene Hackman
was in Lilith with Jessica Walter

Definitely couldn’t manage that with films I know, let alone in my head without resorting to IMDb. Anybody else able to manage it in six?

1 Like

I was tempted to ask if you verified if this was possible at all. I ran through a number of IMDb connections yesterday, but didn’t get anywhere. For me, it’s that much harder when I don’t recognize the actors/actresses at all, and I had not heard of any of the Archers films.

Well worth your time. The Red Shoes, based on the Hans Christian Andersen tale, and Black Narcissus, are their best-known films. Proper classics. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, too. Look for the Criterion Collection editions if you can. Genuinely excellent filmmakers.

Personally, I love I Know Where I’m Going!, and you can’t go wrong with The Thief of Bagdad, which is Powell pre-Pressburger. Released in 1940, you do need to roll with the nearly all-white cast - like, almost everybody but Sabu, as near as I can recall - but there’s a lot to enjoy. Kid-appropriate action and adventure, all in brilliant Technicolor.

Don’t mix it up with the 1924 Douglas Fairbanks film. It has its own swashbuckly charm, and tinted black and white is its own kind of fun, but it’s silent and quite long. As for the 1961 Thief of Baghdad (note the ‘h’), I haven’t seen and can’t comment. But it does star Steve Reeves, who played a lot of Hercules in the '60s, and, man, those movies were so much less exciting than I wanted them to be. Maybe if you’re feeling completist?

Okay, so I made the last one tougher than intended. Instead, how about this:

I’ve been watching The Man In The High Castle, so let’s go from High to Castle. From Seth Rogen to Jon Bernthal. Bonus points (but not essential) if you can do it without any other men.

Seth Rogan was in Donnie Darko with Maggie Gyllenhaal
Gyllenhaal was in Riding in Cars with Boys with Drew Barrymore
Barrymore was in Charlie’s Angels with Melissa McCarthy
McCarthy was in Tammy with Susan Sarandon
Sarandon was in Snitch with Jon Bernthal

Let’s go on a Punisher kick! Dolph Lundgren to Jon Bernthal, bonus points if you can fit one or both of Thomas Jane and Ray Stevenson in the links.

1 Like

Anyone have any Punisher puns to share?

:neutral_face:

Slightly unrelated:

Oh, thank the lord it isn’t just me. I started to think I was just stupid, and even the internet couldn’t help me. You kids are great at this, and yet ran into the same issue even when reaching out to the constant information repository, so I don’t feel as bad now.

I’m fairly certain that you can’t get all four in a single six-person chain, but here’s the best I can manage (even with plenty of internet help):

Dolph Lundgren was in The Expendables 2 with Bruce Willis
was in G.I. Joe: Retaliation with Ray Stevenson
was in Thor with Samuel L. Jackson
was in Deep Blue Sea with Thomas Jane
was in The Thin Red Line with Woody Harrelson
was in Rampart with Jon Bernthal

As for an actual six degrees:

Dolph Lundgren was in Masters of the Universe with Frank Langella
was in Robot & Frank with Susan Sarandon
was in The Meddler with Michael McKean
was in This Is Spinal Tap with Rob Reiner
was in The Wolf of Wall Street with Jon Bernthal

No doubt you can get a triple-Punisher version, too, but I’m always going to default to Spinal Tap.

Easter Bunny time! Jimmy Stewart had an imaginary rabbit friend named Harvey, and Charles Fleischer played a rabbit named Roger. Bonus if you can work another Easter reference or two into the links.

Yeah, I realized after the fact that all the Punisher actors was not possible in six links. In the seven links though, I went nearly the same path as you, but linked Thomas Jane to Anna Kendrick in Scott Pilgrim because Scott Pilgrim!

Wow, this thread died, thus I resurrect it from its grave (in true Easter fashion).

So, assuming you are trying to link to Fleischer (rather than Roger), I’m not sure I can do anything for the bonus points, but:

Jimmy Stewart was in Harvey with Jesse White
White was in The Cat from Outer Space with Harry Morgan
Morgan was in Dragnet with Tom Hanks
Hanks was in A League of Their Own with Madonna
Madonna was in Dick Tracy with Charles Fleischer

And I guess we need a new one. Okay, a Psych movie is coming out this December, so how about connecting James Roday to Dulé Hill without using Psych. Have at it, folks!

2 Likes

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in…

James Roday was in The Dukes Of Hazzard with Seann William Scott
who was in It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia with Charlie Day
who was in Pacific Rim with Idris Elba
who was in Thor with Chris Hemsworth
who was in The Cabin In The Woods with Bradley Whitford
who was in The West Wing with Dulé Hill

Aaaaaargh That’s six links, but seven PEOPLE. Stupid misleading name of the game. WATCH THIS SPACE.

Let’s try Parker Posey to Alan Cumming without using The Good Wife or Josie And The Pussycats.

1 Like

Parker Posey was in You’ve Got Mail with Tom Hanks
who was in The Green Mile with Sam Rockwell
who was in Charlie’s Angels with Tim Curry
who was in The Rocky Horror Picture Show with Richard O’Brien
who was in Spice World with Alan Cumming

Next up: Harry Shearer to Christopher Guest without using any films featuring fictional bands.

1 Like

I did manage it a while back, if you fancy cheating.

1 Like