Home Videos Games Podcastle

Shelf'd Boardgames

@Tika‌ Descent was one of them, but it turned out to be a lot easier to explain than I imagined.

Robinson Crusoe I found to be just a difficult game to get people to wrap their heads around. My group got a lot of things wrong, and barely figured out how the game plays by the time one of our characters died.

Strangely enough, Elder Sign is another game I loathed to teach anyone. It just seems like it’s a bunch of “oh and one more thing” rules that pile on top of each other and don’t really have a natural way of connecting. It just felt totally unintuitive.

I think it’s games that I struggle to grasp the natural flow of without having played an actual game of with another person. Elder sign is a pretty basic game, but there’s just so many “disclaimer” rules.

Conversely, I can teach A Game of Thrones and Archipelago very easily, so I’m not sure why I find some games hard to teach and others a breeze.

Oh and for some reason Mundus Novus just doesn’t make sense for me to teach. I don’t know why because it’s super straight forward. There’s a part of my brain that just collapses when it’s rules try to come out of my mouth.

@Pseudohausen‌ Hmm, what can work better in those cases is after a brief overview with the objective of the game and description of the player’s actions on a high level, is to play through a practice round with open hands.

@Tika You’re definitely right. I think part of the problem though is I don’t understand the flow of play well enough, so I don’t feel comfortable trying to tell other people how things are supposed to go. It’s something I need to get over, seeing as I’m the only one in my group who purchases games.

Stay far from tiny epic quest.

I have complete sympathy with everything you say here. Games with too many rules are completely irritating to me (note: this can mean “simple” games where all the rules are on the components).

For me a game I can click with generally needs me going towards completing something tangible in turn one. I need to see the path to victory (even if my perceived route is inefficient unknown to me).

This is four years later.

But still a valid thread.

I believe I have complained elsewhere on these forums about my lack of time to play games. I am a parent of two young children who have similar diagnoses of ASD and ADHD, so taking care of them is a full-time job in and of itself. My regular gaming group is very small, really only consisting of myself, my wife, another couple, and sometimes my brother-in-law. We also now have another group my wife and I meet up with once a month for a few hours, without our kids, but the hosting couple ALSO has two kids on the spectrum, but ones that are a lot less…active than ours from what we’ve seen. In any case, our group gaming time is very limited.

Due to the needs of my kids and their attention seeking behavior, it is very hard for us to sit down and play a game without numerous interruptions. My first time playing Inis with them just last month, for instance, easily took an extra hour due to our need to care for our kids and at times to clean up after them. So any long game is even longer than it otherwise would be, meaning they are less likely to be played. We’re near the end of an Imperial Assault campaign that hasn’t been played in close to three years, I believe, maybe even four. The game is just too long with too many little pieces that quick little hands can grab, that it’s easier to bring out something smaller. When we do go for something more involved, like Dead of Winter, it easily takes 3-4 hours and we all feel pretty burned out by the end of it.

Still, I can’t help but purchase the games that I like and am interested in, assuming I can afford it. The ones I can’t get put on Christmas lists and with luck I’ll get them, but they may go unplayed for a long time. A Game of Thrones the board game is one such game and I have no idea when I’ll ever get it to the table. I love X-Wing (and Star Wars in general), but it mostly shines as a 1 v 1 game from what I’ve seen, and it does not interest my wife or brother-in-law, and therefore won’t work in a group setting with them either. Fury of Dracula is wonderful, but terribly long even without our hindrances.

Also, there are plenty of times where people just don’t feel like learning a new game. I try my best to learn any game I’m going to present inside and out before teaching it, but without a receptive audience, a new game is just going to flop and I don’t want that to happen with any of my games. The games are good (as far as I can tell) and deserve a chance to shine.

So my collection continues to grow, slower than it once did as I do try to justify any purchases I make, but more and more games sit on the shelf simply due to time constraints. When I do manage to get a new game to the table and manage to present it well, then it goes over wonderfully for the most part. My newer additions of Concordia and Isle of Skye can attest to that.

I have played all the games on my shelves, but I’m just teetering on the brink of buying one game I know I’ll never get to play!

I own Through the Ages already, and managed to play it about half a dozen times, but it has been languishing on my shelf for years now, occasionally taken to game meets to look forlorn amongst a pile of other unplayed games all day.

Still, I want to buy the 2nd edition.

It’s one of my favourite games. I play the app a LOT. The problem is, every local player of the game has already stated that since they have the app, the physical game would be redundant.

Nevertheless, I want to own it. I want to support CGE. It’s been sitting in an Amazon “to buy” list for a year or so now…

I don’t have an overly extensive collection, but I still have a handful of games that haven’t hit the table for various reasons. Most I grabbed for one reason or another but just haven’t taken the time to learn and try (Raiders of the North Sea and Neuroshima Hex), but one is just too heavy for my group now but I wanted it in my collection (Forbidden Stars). I think there are a couple more, but those are the ones I really do hope to play at some point.

For me it’s almost exclusively games I’ve played to death. My Munchkins and Dominions remain unplayed for years now, a few ‘beer&boardgames’ games are criminally underplayed but I usually prefer something else and I have found noone willing to jump deep into Earth Reborn, even though I love the mechanics.

I’m finding in my 30s that friends are moving further and further apart. As this happens we’re more likely to meet in a central location. Whereas before we’d often be round each others houses and Boardgames could naturally pop up, now we meet at bars and restaurants where it’d be weird for me to say “hey guys! I brought a boardgame!”.

There are a few more game groups around but the ones my friends occasion are the lightest of the light games that don’t interest me. I’ve tried going along to slowly ease them into more medium weight games, but I don’t feel I have the patience for that anymore.

But I still love games. So I buy them since I have expendable cash and there’s always a chance we’ll get a game in. A few of my old gaming friends who haven’t played much the last few years are getting back into the hobby, so it’s been fun to bring out 2015/16 games as some new hotness. The fact remains much of my collection is unplayed though. I don’t really mind, it’s not like they’re going anywhere.

My biggest issue isn’t unplayed games, but games WANT to play again but can’t find time/people for. Zombicide has only seen The table before the Stretchgoal Box arrived and now i want to play with all the other survivors and enemies.

I have a lot of unplayed games because I am a nutter who wants to curate my collection. The quest for “perfection” is the main driver here [1] and the way for me to decide if this game deserves to be in my collection is to buy it and play it - unless someone in my group owns it.

The issue now then is to plop the game onto the table. Thus, I buy a lot of games - games that do interests me - and remains unplayed. But I also purge too, so those games that I’m just fine or dislike, gets removed easily, so I’m not worried about shelves and shelves of unplayed games or games I haven’t played since a year ago.

It’s a costly process, but I made this decision to go on this path.

[1] I know that there’s no such thing as a perfect collection, as taste is always subjective. And that there’s no way I can play every game ever.

I’m lucky that I have a supportive group who don’t buy that many games themselves and let me get games to the table soon after I acquire them. I’ve also become really good and not buying all the games, just ones that will actually get played.

I’m currently only at 6/221 unplayed. A couple of those are close to “event-type” games which need a dedicated couple of players with advance warning and one is Diplomacy, which I don’t actually anticipate playing anytime soon – just at one point in my life.