Home Videos Games Podcastle

Shameless self promotion - blogs, bands and creative projects

Possible abuse of mod privilege! If people think this doesn’t belong on the board, please say so!

Right. So I thought I’d create a space for people to share their interesting side projects, whether boardgame related or not. Taking a look at @debiant’s design blog is really interesting, and I’ve not got much to compare, but I thought I’d mention some stuff anyway.

I have a boardgames blog, started fairly recently, trying to focus on the more nebulous side of what’s so special about the hobby. So not conventional reviews, but discussions of ‘magic’ and ‘tactility’. I mostly did it because I liked the pun (although originally the pun was supposed to be for a dating sim/advance wars hybrid, set on a military base filled with anthropmorphic army officers with very specific tactical turn ons*). Anyway, presenting: Tactics and Tactility.

In utterly unrelated but potentially wonderful other side projects, I’m about to start on ‘Queen: An Exploded Diagram’, in which I review every single track from every Queen studio album in order. I’ve basically been obsessed with Queen since I was a child, particularly stating (from a very young age) that people were missing out on the best of Queen by only knowing the Greatest Hits albums. So I’m going to prove it. The other angle is finding a way to explain to people how I love Queen so much when my other favourite artists are things like Four Tet, Aphex Twin and late era Scott Walker. The blog’s here: http://explodedqueen.wordpress.com. There’s also a patreon, to see if I can make some money back on it, but I won’t be so churlish as to link directly!

Through TnT you’ll also find links to my older blogs and projects.

So yeah. If any of you could actually handle MORE of my incoherent ramblings, now you’ve got a few other options.

Sorry.

Ax

*If anyone does actually want to help me make this, I have a lot of ideas about how to make it work!

The Kickstarter thread
Good video game books
Board game recommendation engine
“TRICK OR TREE” - a Handmade Magnetic Wooden Blocks Toy & Game
Selfie Thread!
Ready Set Battle - Now on Kickstarter
Want playtest at SHUX?
My Kickstarter is live!
Need help seeing if board game concept is good!
Board game design Feedback
Brainwaves - Boardgame and Tabletop News Show
Brand New Strategy Game: Makiavelia
Introduction Thread!
Introduction Thread!
Where does this go?
New Home for a Gaming Table (Scotland, UK)
I Made A Kickstartey Thing And Also Can You! (Some Tips For Future Game Designers)
GBCON: Spring 2018
Need your help improving this
Selfie Thread!
Large La Boca DIY and templates
Introduction Thread!
Introduction Thread!
Introduction Thread!
Comic store starting a game community

Oooh, what a nice idea. I like seeing stuff done by other people on the forums, and @Debiant’s design blog was excellent. I am definitely going to be reading about Queen.

I write reviews of horror movies. Every year, my wife and I run a blog for a month called Hallowfest Octobfilm, where we watch a horror movie every day for the month of October - so we’re on the last stretch of this year. We have fun with it and avoid the really gritty, gory stuff. Plus you get to see how much better a writer my wife is than me!

Here’s this year’s site, being updated daily until Saturday - https://hallowfestoctobfilm.wordpress.com/

Here’s last year’s - http://norhetoric.wix.com/amongstotherthings

I also have an archive of stuff I wrote before that on a blog somewhere - horror reviews mixed with some stuff about Doctor Who, Prometheus and so on but that hasn’t been updated for ages and is a tiny bit cringey to go back and read now (my attitudes have matured somewhat).

I have a few corners of the internet squared off.

The first is The Checkpoint a small gaming forum I run. Made from the burnt husk of the NowGamer Forums before the powers that be shut them down when the site went in a different direction. We are a small but friendly bunch.

The second is The Comic Book Reader my sporadically updated comic book blog. When the mood strikes me I will pour days into writing indepth looks at specific books, runs, collected editions. But whenever I check the page stats it is this post that keeps getting all the views. It has become the rock shaped albatross around my neck.

The third is Meeple Ex Machina which is my newish board/tabletop games blog. I’m trying to get at least one post a week up on there and I’m loving it so far.

I also have portfolio website for my games industry stuff but it is criminally out of date and off topic. The last few posts are about boardgames which is why I decided to start Meeple Ex Machina. I really need to redo my portfolio and add things from personal projects but…time…effort…blergh…

I have mentioned this in a thread I started but this is a shameless self promotion thread so…why not stick it here as well. I do a Youtube channel, as well as a blog facebook and twitter used to help promote the channel as well. Though the blog I do tend to every now and then write something up or post pictures of a latest book haul, that sort of thing.

My channel is called Look What I Found and I make videos there where I talk about books, movies, television shows and even anime, I also talk about role playing games and Android: Netrunner. I’ve kind of started a podcast thingy…maybe it’s a vlog…I don’t know. I don’t know if I’ll continue doing it but hey trying new things.

I tend to ramble on a lot and I don’t have really any of it scripted in any meaningful way because I like the feeling of just…talking and saying what comes to mind.

So there’s that!

We’ve started a boardgame podcast a while back and I feel we’re finally getting into something of a groove. It’s called Perfect Information. We’re also on iTunes and Stitcher, if you prefer traditional means of accessing podcasts. :wink:

So far we’ve kept our bi-weekly schedule of releasing full episodes (around 1,5h) every Monday, with the alternate weeks having tiny “slices” of content like interviews or essays. So we’re kind of releasing weekly, I guess. :smile:

And since we’ve been pushing our BGG guild recently, you’re more than welcome to look at our shenanigans there.

Huh, a shill thread? I guess I can :tongue: I rather enjoy the writing process, but finding the time is tricky sometimes.

I keep a pointless blog about my quest to go through 20 years of buying too much music to uncover hidden gems and trim the fat off my collection here. Basic idea was that I felt a need to actually appreciate what I have, much of it unlistened to even after purchase and figured projectising it would give me a kick up the behind to do so - it results in thoughts, feelings and crappy criticisms scribed in real time as I listen. So as not to overwhelm myself with too much of one thing at a time, it is organised alphabetically by album - at least within the constraints of how my music player lists stuff, and wanders all over the shop genre-wise.

I also tend to try to keep Actual Play records of any RPG I run. Currently I’m running a delightfully British indie game called Albion (publisher’s site), and recording sessions when I find the time. At 90+ minutes to do a write up for sessions that tend to run just over 2 hours it can be arduous though, and I am about three sessions behind at the moment. Hope to catch those up this weekend but… y’know. That is found here.

I run a weekly WarMachine and Hordes battle report podcast called “Combo Smite”… which is of zero interest to those who don’t happen to play that particular miniatures game. You can listen to us on iTunes, or find my little corner of the interweb Right Here.

We just hit our 100th Podcast (which is an accomplishment, but is also rougher audio-wise than the rest of our episodes, so don’t hold that against us! Normally the audio is much better!)

Additionally, Nick (my noble and talented cohost) designed a bunch of 3D terrain you can cut out of foamcore and assemble. The buildings are quasi-Sci-Fi by default, but with the right paint job can fit into almost any genre… and in my humble opinion, he did incredible work. Great for any Infinity/MERCs players out there!

First set of buildings.
Second set of buildings.
Third set of buildings.

There’s also lots of tutorials on how to paint models, mod cavalry to ride My Little Ponies (Nick is talented… and slightly insane), and some interesting posts on how to improve your gameplay, stuff like that. Anyway! Check it out if you’re into WarMachine!

More to come in the future (I’ve got a few ideas brewing in my little head for additional terrain I’d like to annex in the game-sphere), but that’s hopefully of interest to some of you!

I run a popular science blog where I discuss all things related to ants! I’m a scientist, but am mostly interested in science dissemination, so the pieces are very short and to the point, with pretty pictures from wonderful photographer Alex Wild. It’s called AntyScience

So, I really enjoy teaching…that’s why last March I started a youtube channel purely focused on making tutorials and guides for fairly complex pc games such as X3, Ascent and Tales of Maj’Eyal (and many more). The reception has been very positive, and I really enjoy making the videos :slight_smile:

Lately I have been mostly making, stupid things.

Lately I have been mostly making, stupid things.

Mon Dieu! C’est manifique! Incroyable!

These are awesome!

I have a wordpress that lasted about two weeks and a really rather odd Tumblr that’s 15% my only social media engagement and 85% random nonsense. Nothing to see on my end, then, but I’m enjoying the font of talent, whimsy, and generally interesting things this thread is courtesy of everyone else. :slight_smile:

I thought something forum appropriate would be good.

I thought something forum appropriate would be good.

He looks so happy!

I run a popular science blog where I discuss all things related to ants! I'm a scientist, but am mostly interested in science dissemination, so the pieces are very short and to the point, with pretty pictures from wonderful photographer Alex Wild. It's called AntyScience

So, I really enjoy teaching…that’s why last March I started a youtube channel purely focused on making tutorials and guides for fairly complex pc games such as X3, Ascent and Tales of Maj’Eyal (and many more). The reception has been very positive, and I really enjoy making the videos :slight_smile:

This blog is delightful! I’m learning so many wonderful things about ants. :smiley:

Who doesn’t like self promotion!! well most people but at least we can do it here!! I’m a chemistry lover and have a website, videos, apps and now a cardgame on kickstarter for other people that like that type of stuff!!!

kickstarter: click ME to go there!!

In utterly unrelated but potentially wonderful other side projects, I'm about to start on 'Queen: An Exploded Diagram', in which I review every single track from every Queen studio album in order. I've basically been obsessed with Queen since I was a child, particularly stating (from a very young age) that people were missing out on the best of Queen by only knowing the Greatest Hits albums. So I'm going to prove it. The other angle is finding a way to explain to people how I love Queen so much when my other favourite artists are things like Four Tet, Aphex Twin and late era Scott Walker. The blog's here: http://explodedqueen.wordpress.com. There's also a patreon, to see if I can make some money back on it, but I won't be so churlish as to link directly!

Al! I’ve been reading your Queen thingummy, and may I say you are doing a fine job.
I’ve long been evangelical about the first few Queen albums, despite the first being released 7 years before I was born.

And I cannot wait to see what you’ve got when you come the The Prophet’s Song… (CONTROVERSY WARNING: Infinitely superior to Bohemian Rhapsody.)

In utterly unrelated but potentially wonderful other side projects, I'm about to start on 'Queen: An Exploded Diagram', in which I review every single track from every Queen studio album in order. I've basically been obsessed with Queen since I was a child, particularly stating (from a very young age) that people were missing out on the best of Queen by only knowing the Greatest Hits albums. So I'm going to prove it. The other angle is finding a way to explain to people how I love Queen so much when my other favourite artists are things like Four Tet, Aphex Twin and late era Scott Walker. The blog's here: http://explodedqueen.wordpress.com. There's also a patreon, to see if I can make some money back on it, but I won't be so churlish as to link directly!

Al! I’ve been reading your Queen thingummy, and may I say you are doing a fine job.
I’ve long been evangelical about the first few Queen albums, despite the first being released 7 years before I was born.

And I cannot wait to see what you’ve got when you come the The Prophet’s Song… (CONTROVERSY WARNING: Infinitely superior to Bohemian Rhapsody.)

@16StonePig
Yay! Glad you’re enjoying it. It’s not always as good as I think the songs deserve, but I’m particularly happy with the last one, and am looking forward to rushing to the finish line for this month! (Expect at least two tracks today!)

The Prophet’s song is definitely one to watch. It has a big load of weight put on by me. I’m faintly obsessed with it, and I think listening to it made me not just fall hard for Queen, but also fall hard for music production as a concept. Or even be aware of it. Night at the Opera was the album I was obsessed with as a youngling, so it should be the point where the blog goes really over the top. The Prophet’s Song is not necessarily my favourite, but I think it might be the most important.

Can I also thank you for coining the phrase “May’s Guitar Squadron”?

wow no one’s had anything to shamelessly promote for a while.

well THAT’S ABOUT TO CHANGE

I wrote an article for Autostraddle about the hardcore punk band G.L.O.S.S.! I worked very hard on it, and I’m really proud of it. It’s (clearly) pretty close to my heart, and, on a more personal note, my little lesbian heart is so giddy that i got published in autostraddle. I also got to give a shout out to my friend Carrie in the article, which makes me INCREDIBLY happy.

That’s a positively phenomenal piece of music writing there! Great work! Thanks for sharing.