Home Videos Games Podcastle

Pointless superpower

We all know flight, invisibility and super strength.

But what slightly pointless, or very low powered, superpower would you like to have?

In various discussions about this I’ve come up with two -

1. Pot a ball from anywhere on a pool/snooker table. Not so I can become World Champion or anything. Just so I can annoy my mates down the pub

2. Always know what’s coming the other way when driving, so I can overtake whenever I want. Just to see the panicked look on my passenger’s face as I zoom round a blind corner in the wrong side of the road…

3 Likes

I would like the ability to clean things at will, to whatever level I specify. From ‘dust off the floor’ to ‘strip the grease from the concrete’. Would save me a lot of backache in my construction job!

5 Likes

I’ve always claimed that my superpower is the supernatural ability to lift up on the car door handle right when somebody presses the power-unlock button, thus preventing the door from being unlocked (and in some cases, causing a malfunction in the door lock mechanism)

4 Likes

My power would be to know what my cat is really thinking and planning on doing… So I can prevent her from scratching our couch…

3 Likes

A built-in noise cancellation, tuned to our babies’ thought processes. Specifically so that when they make little murmurs and proto-crying sounds in their sleep that do NOT indicate they want anything, I don’t wake up.

6 Likes

I would like the power to know when the bus or train will actually turn up, and what time I should leave in order to catch it.

3 Likes

I don’t want to go off topic on this off-topic topic, but my son and I play a version of this we call Powers Ltd. Mine is I can run at the speed of sound but only for 8 feet. His is he can fly but only 6 inches off the ground. Some other popular lame-ass powers include super-strength but in only one finger and turning invisible but just one body part at a time.

5 Likes

Oh, I forgot… reading people’s minds but only when they’re thinking about food.

5 Likes

I think it’s time you and your son write your RPG system down :wink:

Sounds like the start of something great. I’d certainly be interested in playing a mundane hero with a revolving subset of mundane powers

3 Likes

I’m immediately pondering the sonic boom.

3 Likes

I’m trying to work out whether super strength in one finger would be amazing for bouldering or a liability. If you could use it to lock that finger in position and hold your body weight without tearing tendons in your hand, it would be a very cool superpower to have. If your finger just crushed rock, or didn’t feature endurance, or didn’t have the necessary support in your hand and wrist…

1 Like

Is the power to function normally on roughly half the normal amount of sleep too badass a super power for this? I’m worried it might be, but it’s the thing I want second most.

The thing I want most is the ability to teleport to where my partner lives because distance relationships are bad, but I think that’s definitely OP.

4 Likes

This is not a superpower. That or I have a superpower!

3 Likes

When thinking of places to go out to eat or get take out, knowing which restaurant would get your order most correct.

3 Likes

Or, more accurately, you think you do, but if you actually got the amount of sleep you should…

4 Likes

I believe that’s called parenting

4 Likes

The power to accurately measure a teaspoons worth - while using a regular spoon.

2 Likes

Up until the age of about 5, I remember believing that my Dad was Superman.
Because he told me he was Superman - and could pick me up with one hand.

1 Like

I’d say that’s an incredibly great superpower.

Pointless Superpower:

The ability to see through walls, but only into my own room.

I mean, it’s a travesty. No one wants to see that. Sheets and socks and underpants flopped anywhere.

1 Like