Home Videos Games Podcastle

[PBF] Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Can I wait to use my resolve and only use it if nobody can help me out of the crurent, or do I have to do it now ?

1 Like

(Unfortunately, Meinrad has the highest Initiative of the player characters, so will take his turn first in each Round.

As Stunned means you cannot take an action, Meinrad won’t be able to attempt find his feet in the first round, and will start to drown as the fast flowing current rushes over him. He’ll lose 1 Wound at the end of the Round, but will also then have a chance to clear the Stunned condition.

Else is going to have to take her action to try and stand, or combine it with a move and swim to shore. Thus she’s not really in a position to help Meinrad in the first Round.

Of course we are not aware of what has happened to Gert yet. Depending where he ends up, he might be able to do something to aid one or both of you. Or he might focus on the poor old lady instead.

Let’s wait to see Gert’s status, and I’ll make the situation clear to everyone as to the immediate problems that need to be considered so you can make informed choices to your actions.)

1 Like

[Okay, I will wait until we see where Gert is (as a boatman, what a shame if he also fell!) before spending my resolve]

1 Like

Gert will try to grab some of his well stacked crates to keep his Ballance.

d100: 87 vs athletic 40

Gert is awfully lucky and will spend a fortune point…
d100: 88 vs athletic 40

Well, assuming I’m in the water, I’ll roll vs endurance 35 +20 d100: 21

If Gert is in the water, I will use my Resolve to get rid of the Stunt condition, as Meinrad shakes himself up, remembering the time one of his ram pushed him into the river next to his home

1 Like

(It’s almost like the dice roller is presenting learning opportunities. If this was combat, Gert’s second roll would have been a Fumble - a double rolled on a failure.)

Gert is also sent flying into the river. Although they don’t often talk about such things as it is a little embarrassing, falling in the water is a hazard of being a boatman. Some experience the ignominy of getting wet more than others, but all boatmen know the dangers of cold water shock. Gert is therefore well prepared for the icy chill trying to steal his air away.

2 Likes

All three of you end up in the Verfelfluss, landing close to where Mother Vadoma thrashes against the flow, gasping for air.

Unfortunately all this activity has drawn the attention of something in the water. You hear one of the Strigany still on the boat shout “Stirpike!”

Gert, you know that a Stirpike is a type of fish that lives in the lakes and waterways of the Empire. They can reach monstrous sizes if the tales are true, some claiming fish as long as 20 feet have been seen. By and large Stirpike have been fished out of most places, aside from the most remote waterways. You see the water ripple as a relatively small pike powers forward towards Vadoma.

We are now in combat!

(I gave bad information on Initiative order (looking at Int not I), so I’ve retconned Meinrad’s use of his Resolve point, and given him back his Stunned condition.)

Round 1
Initiative Order
37 Gert
29 Else
26 Meinrad Stunned
9 Stirpike (some distance away yet…)

Gert, you are floating in the water. You can either try to stand as an action (an Easy (+40) Athletics test), or swim to the bank and clamber out (an Average (+20) Swim test.) Failure at either means that the current begins to pull you away and you start to drown.

Gert will try to stand (which I assume is my action) and move towards Mother Vadroma to aid her.

d100: 100 vs athletic 40 + 40 easy test.

(Do you want to use another Fortune Point to reroll that?)

Else will try to stand and move towards Meinrad or Vadroma whichever is closer

d100: 73 Vs Athletics (28+40) 68

(The dice roller is being quite cruel apparently. Does Else want to reroll with her last Fortune Point?)

Remind me when we get them back?

(Usually at ‘the end of a session’ - essentially at a good plot break. I don’t think that it is much of a spoiler to say it won’t be for a while yet…)

1 Like

(I’ll leave it for this round then. It’s a narrow failure so do I get some benefit from it?)

(Unfortunately not.)

Round 1
Initiative Order
37 Gert
29 Else
26 Meinrad Stunned
9 Stirpike (some distance away yet…)

(Everyone is struggling in the current to get their feet under them, and thus are in no position to help Meinrad. Do you want to use a Resolve point to remove your Stunned condition?)

(I will, can I still make an action?)

1 Like

(If you use the Resolve point, you can attempt an action)