Home Videos Games Podcastle

[PBF] [Game thread] Root RPG

“No no no please ! Not the barrel it is still brewing!”

No matter what the rabbit pleads, the two marquisate soldiers topple over the huge oak barrel, spilling precious carrot alcohol all over the smashed plates and turned over table.
You all came in together in “The Barrel”; Altaburrow’s reknown tavern hoping to find some rumors that could lead to a job. After all, after a takeover, a town is always full of oportunuity.
Altaburrows was just the stage of a siege, won by the Marquisate de Cat. Seemingly, you came in a bit too hot, as you can still see embers and ruins around you; even though it is becoming a common sight nowadays.

“What are you looking at!”; one of the soldier, a tiger striped cat with an eyepatch shout toward you. “Maybe you haven’t heard, there’s been a change of ownership over here”
The other one, a slim dark black cat, with a nick in his ear look at The Arbiter “Ooh, look at that; maybe you forgot to run away with your regiment. Or maybe you don’t fly so well…”

1 Like

(Map for reference, shamlessly stripped from the quickstart and baldy rewritten over)

2 Likes

From their spot in the corner of the room, near the unfolding drama, O’lantern is awoken when they feel suddenly wet as carrot alcohol starts to pool around their tail. They’re up with a start, and throw their pumpkin mask back over their head and then give the pool of alcohol a sideways look. Pulling their flint out from their bag, they proceed to attempt to light the carrot alcohol on fire.

2 Likes

Flop twitches his nose at the smell of the spilled carrot liquor. He finds raw carrots a little too sweet, and the fermentation removing some of that sugar makes it just right. This is a travesty, though his ears and his face don’t show it.

[I’d like to Figure Out the marquisate soldiers. Why are they roughing up the people of the clearing, including presumably us?]

@discobot roll 2d6 +2

1 Like

:game_die: 5, 2

Rudd disliked seeing the cat guards saunter into the tavern, and dislikes seeing them throw their weight around even more. The end of his half ear gives a little throb of pain in response to the cats directing their attention towards the table he’s at. Seeing O’Lantern jerk into wakefulness and immediately try to burn something, Rudd instinctively tries to read the situation to determine how best to react…

1 Like

It has not been uncomon for soldiers from any of the faction to still be high on conquest after à sucessful battle, and so still hunger for resistance that could give them motive to enact justice. Most of the time, the ranking officier disagree with the practice, those denizen are supposed to be on their protection from now on.

If you try to figure them out, It means you are using your ability to charm and read people to get information about them while you are interactif with them. With your roll(9, 7 + 2 Charm) you can ask them one question (or ask me the GM the information you figure out from the subtext or the body language). The questions are :
20191011_235641

You would have to start taking to them to use your hold to ask the question.

Rudd, I think you are trying to read a tense situation Roll 2D6 + Cunning.

O’lantern, after a few strikes from your flint, the alcohol start to burn. For now only you notice it, but soon enough it won’t be missable.

1 Like

Flop uses his non-threatening bunny face and his conciliatory voice, "We’re not looking at anyt’ing, boss! I, for one, welcome our new cat overlords. This clearing is yaws, so that barrel is as good as yaws. Why are ye spillin’ it instead of sellin’ it tho’?

“And teh raven here ain’t no friend of the Eyrie. She’s seen what they’s capable of.” Flop gives a little flick of the ear in the direction of the Arbiter, signalling Flop will follow her lead in this situation.

Also, when he starts to smell the fire, Flop will give an involuntarily larger twitch of his nose…

2 Likes

(would I need to roll to wreck something? it just seems like my little fire might fall under that)

I feel wrecking something is more “precise” task than just starting a fire. It felt like O’lantern started the fire more for general havoc than to actually destroy one thing or stop it from fonctionning. If they have actually a thing in mind they want to “diable”, please roll ! Otherwise, I don’t think it is needed.

1 Like

Rudd reads a tense situation
2d6: 5 + 1 = 6 +1

1 Like

I believe that let’s me ask one question; using Rudd’s Nose for gold move, I’d like to ask what’s the most valuable thing here?

The Barrel is known for its carrot liquor, and it is apparent that there’s going to be a shortage of this year’s cuvée. The most valuable thing here is probably the bottles stocked in the cellar behind the counter.

(I’m not forgetting Flop’s attempt at conversation, I just want to know what @kzz is going to do with The Arbiter !)

“Look at that smart one over here. You have such good ideas!”
Harris, the stripped cat, laugh behind his teeth “Yeah Kurt is right, you are so smart, you should have a seat on the Marquise counsel”
The more they talk, the more you smell the alcohol in their breath. Louis, the innkeeper, slowly crawls backward toward his cellar.
“Hey!” Kurt nose twitches, “what’s that smell?” the carpet on the floor of the inn begin smoking.

1 Like

(What else do we know about the people in this clearing? Specifically, I’m searching for someone the cats distrust, like denizens with Eyrie loyalties.)

I’ll turn that back to you. Who do you know here that the cat dislikes ? How do you know them ? What you know is that it is a settlement mostly populated by rabbits, and they used what used to be the original burrows as a quarry for trade

1 Like

Rudd shuffles in his seat slightly, and eyes up the bottles behind the bar. If there’s a big enough distraction, he might be able to grab one or two on his way out of the tavern. His eyes flick between Flop, the cats, the slowly smoldering carpet, trying to judge the right time to make a move.

1 Like

Now that the cats are aware of the fire, Flop shouts, “Holy smokes! Literally! Those Better Burrow Bank guys don’t play around.” He jumps up and starts pushing customers toward the door, trying to cause as much confusion and cover as possible. “You betta get outta here. I heard they’re out a lotta coins when the Eyrie left and didn’t pay off their contracts.” He occasionally glances at Rudd, trying to figure out what he’s going for to capitalize on the situation.

1 Like

The few people here with you starts screaming and running. They push each other on the way out, a few of them tumble on the ground. The carpet is now starting to really burn; Kurt looks at Harris and jumps toward the innkeeper; grabs him by the collar : “You! Grab a pitcher and start watering down that fire!”

1 Like