Home Videos Games Podcastle

Pamplemousse: an Appreciation of Juicy Words

Ooo…this is making me wonder, is there a more technical word than snarf for, well, snarfing a drink out of one’s nose? Exsuflation, maybe? (I know, I kind of just made that up).

I know we have doctors and other nerds here on SU&SD, anyone have an idea?

Honestly, exsuflation is perfect. If it has not already been adopted by the scientific community, it should be.

Shame it tastes of onion burps.

Oh my! Yes, it’s not very tasty.

I was basing it on insufflation (I missed an “f”), which itself isn’t very flavorful (it’s like when you can’t sneeze and can’t tell why, or like the way Smarties taste.
(Not the other “Smarties,” the…well, click the link. I think there are various opinions about which “Smarties” are worse, but I begrudgingly like them both)).

(EDIT: sorry, forgot to include a link to what that actually means, insufflation is not a common word and will probably come up as misspelled for almost everyone. It basically means “snorting,” as opposed to “snarfing.”)

Tangentially related to insufflatory efforts, I have always been a big fan of plethysmography, which in addition to being rather an elegant technique, slides off the tongue so much easier than the ever-troublesome sphygmomanometry.

In double-checking my spelling of the former, I stumbled across the related field of phallometry which, while not an inherently satisfying word, does measure pretty much exactly what you’d imagine it does.

I assume it measures the size of a fallacy you have created.

I am using it right now.

:facepalm:

The multiple ways to interpret that…

I just came across the phrase L’esprit de l’escalier but I can’t describe what it tastes of right now…

It’ll come to you.

Dammit, I should have wrote this first.

As far as the meaning, It’s not really a “taste” or a “flavor,” though, it’s the lack of one. It’s a feeling.

It’s like when when you’re a kid, and it just starts to rain or snow, and you want to catch that raindrop or snowflake on your tongue. But every time you try, it misses, despite falling on your face, your nose, your eyelids, with the additional spice of shame. It’s both uplifting and frustrating.

As far as the actual flavor of the pronunciation of L’esprit de l’escalier, (for me at least) it starts out minty-fresh and quickly devolves into murky dark coffee.

Dammit… I should have said it tastes like anticipation and great wine. Next time…

Tsundoku… it’s how dinner tastes on the tip of the imagination, bags filled with summer produce, headed home from the farmers’ market late in the morning. ("[A] Japanese word for a stack of books that you have purchased but not yet read.") It’s one of those words I never knew I was missing until now.

From this New York Times essay by Kevin Mims. (Sorry 'bout the paywall.)

That’s kind of perfect.

My best friend and I just recently realised, that there’s a combination of words in German that we have never used before:
In engen Gängen (in narrow corridors! or regarding the allitarations: In close quarters)
But the double “ng” adds to the appeal and also the hinted, possible dirtyness of the words.
So, there you go, have a nice week.

Jackanapes. It’s reminded me (flavor-wise) as a poor substitute to black pepper. Too fruity and not as piquant.

Speaking of piquant, that always struck me as a poor word for what it means. The word (to me) tastes closer to a kiwi or quince jam, opposed to its meaning of “hot, or spicy.”

That’s weird, to me piquant tastes of capers! And @brian’s amazing word tsundoku tastes of autumn produce to me, not summer (maybe because I generally only sit down to read books when it’s dark outside?). The article about unread books is great by the way, especially the bit about partially read books living in the ‘twilight zone’.

I like how we all taste words differently. For me, I’m learning that it’s equal parts physical texture, meaning and association with experiences that I am tasting when I eat a new word.

I’ve been a fan of elevation, it’s kind of like wintergreen cut with the smell of rust. Somehow, though, I never think of this in actual elevators.

Elevator is more like a mix of honey, coffee, axle grease, and menthol cigarettes. This may be more of remembering-thing, though, than an actual word-flavor.

Barge is a lot like a big chewy buttery toffee.

Okay, that’s interesting. Barge seems to taste the same for everyone :grinning:.

Yeah, I thought it would have tasted like a small freight boat.

For a thread about words, it’s bugging me that the title is misspelt…

FINALLY! It’s been a holdover since 2015 (actually a bit before, 2015 was a bit of a landmark year for the forums), you’re the first person to say something.

My intent was for the flavor of the words, not the spelling. However, I’ve been waiting 3 years for this.