Home Videos Games Podcastle

Pamplemousse: an Appreciation of Juicy Words

Nestled in the saftey of your pseudo silk kimono, @bruitist?

OK, enough of that you jamokes! Let’s get salient!

(jamoke tastes like a cruddy cup of coffee with too much sugar, salient tastes like a cup of purified water with a touch of too much chlorine)

I feel like Marillion lyrics are 100% relevant to this thread.

Drowning Tequila sunsets, stowaways on midnight ships,
Refugees of romance plead asylum from the real.
Scrambling distress signals on random frequencies,
Forever repatriated on guilt laden morning planes.

I’m sorry I didn’t address this earlier, I should have, and I apologize. I’m super-happy that you get to taste vicariously here. You’ve been a really cool person, I’m glad that we get to hang out with you sometimes.

So take these home with you, they’re weird but delicious:

Oompa Loompa (made-up, but bouncy. Possibly racist)
Hullabaloo (super bouncy. also tastes like bubble gum)
Isotonic (dry, but flavorful, like what a grandparent would consider to be a soda)
Herbaceous (good on pizza, also good for phytology)
Ideophone (sounds pretty good!)
Elementary (like Lego invented a word)
and finally, phosphorescent. (It’s slightly bubbly, and you may find it useful to have a word that helps you see in the dark).

As always, everyone can help themselves to these words, too. We won’t run out anytime soon.

So I just found out about this word. And this is a bit of sesquipedalian loquaciousness, which all the way at the top I said this wasn’t about, but I also said it wasn’t forbidden. It’s also not very flavorful to say, but it’s still a very fun word to know, and I’ll just put it here anyway.

It’s aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes.

It’s actually not very tasty, like potatoes that have been boiled for too long, or the dream sequences from Twin Peaks.

It’s still pretty fun, like throwing potatoes (or Twin Peaks) at you friends in the lunchroom.

Good thing this is a fictional phobia. Otherwise, imagine how heartless the originator would have to be to force people suffering from it to deal with their diagnosis being with their phobia.

Our school celebrated it’s sesquicentennial a few years ago. No one, except myself, called it that. But! Just feel the musicality! sesquicentennial…

And that just makes me think of this:

Summary

:facepalm:

Every time I make you post this emoji, I get this little feeling of victory!

You bastard :joy::rofl:

That really did make me laugh against my will, thanks @COMaestro, I needed that my friend.

Here’s a freebie :facepalm:

Glad to be of service! :smiley:

After reading the last few years’ worth of posts, it’s going to be hard to add anything new in English, but I think consanguineous hasn’t been mentioned yet (thanks to Jyhad for that) although obfuscate has.

I’m reminded of an Israeli travelling companion I spent a couple of months with who requested that I supply her with at least one new English word a day.

Anyway, I came here to post 大丈夫 (daijoubu). It has a lovely economy and balance of brush strokes, which is a whole new dimension of word appreciation that I don’t get from English, it rolls off the tongue nicely, and is one of the first words most foreigners learn over here.

While I’m at it, I have a soft spot for 凸凹 (dekoboko) for similar reasons.

And 微妙 (bimyou)

I have been trying to get Asian speakers to contribute here for so long, and they all thought that the flavor of words didn’t contribute to their speech.

I know I don’t really get how the inflection can change the meaning of a word in many Eastern languages, I’m pretty locked in to English and Romantic languages. If you have any audio resources that would be great!

Also, and I do know how weird and bizarre this is, but could you describe the flavor? I understand the satisfaction of saying certain words, but mixing it up with something sensory that isn’t associated with the action of speech…it’s just fun. What are the flavors?

(I’m perfectly willing for anyone to write this whole thread off as an artsy-fartsy experiment, but I won’t stop asking anyone who is silly enough to give it a shot, “what does that word taste like?”)

Many other Asian languages change meaning through inflection, but not Japanese, not really.

It is difficult to come up with juicy words in Japanese, for various reasons. Like, every consonant is “followed” by a vowel, except “n”. More correctly, every letter other than “n” is a vowel or consonant-vowel combination, so for example if あ a い i う u え e お o is the first line of the “alphabet” か ka き ki く ku け ke こ ko is the second, with every letter having exactly the same length, making for a very rhythmic… standardised?.. sound, that just doesn’t seem to lend itself to juicy words (there is a small amount of wiggle room for more interesting sounds with the addition of a small ゃ ゅ or ょ to a letter as is きょ (ki becomes kyo).

I actually think that learners of Japanese, or people appreciating Japanese from a distance, are more able to identify words that are appealing, which might be why the words I picked in my previous post date back ~15 years to when I was first learning the language.

Anyway, this isn’t a Japanese lesson thread, I just wanted to quickly outline why some people might think there is a dearth of juicy words in at least one Asian language.

Can’t help you with flavour, sorry.

You mean we can just make stuff up ???!???!???

In that case, aguesia tastes of the air inside bubble wrap and umami tastes of seawater on a stormy day.

@Benkyo I appreciate your feedback, like…a lot. Everything we get here is pure gold.

It’s just that alimentary (for instance) tastes astringent to me, it’s dry, which is kind of ironic. Why does that word have a bit of that? And, yeah, that may be just me, it may have a bit of alum in it, conceptually.

There’s a bit of synesthesia going on here (I swear that word looks like a color, a vibrant purple).

YES!!! That’s kind of the point, suzysuz! What do words taste like?

It’s been hard trying to ask people to do this, I know I’m being a super-nerd for even starting it. It’s part lexicography and part etymology and (I hope) part poetry and part gastronomy.

(edit, sorry for calling you suzysuz, I get a little carried away in the moment sometimes)

On that subject, you know the song The Bad Touch by the bloodhound gang?

… You and me baby ain’t nothin’ but mammals
So let’s do it like they do on the Discovery Channel

This is what I sing:

… You and me baby ain’t nought but mammalian,
So let’s do it like they do when we are sesquipidalean

But I am easily amused :smiley:

You…dangit, you literally made my club soda I was drinking come out of my nose, it almost ruined my keyboard!