Home Videos Games Podcastle

Pamplemousse: an Appreciation of Juicy Words

Putting two things together, here:

I once had juxtapose in my Scrabble hand and there was no place to put it on the board (we were playing 9 letter hands, not 7). I f*@#ing hate Scrabble to this day.

What a juxtaimposition!

And my name is Justin, fer cryin’ out loud! Juxtapose was one of my nicknames when I was a kid! (I had weird friends back then. Still do, actually. Like all of you lot, for instance!)

Diaphanous

I love that word, but for some reason it also reminds me of things that prevent pregnancy.

How about Yelve? This is an obsolete English word meaning “a dung fork” (for spreading manure on a field) when used as a noun, and the act of using such a device when used as a verb. Meaning aside, it is a very soothing word to say out loud.

It is indeed soothing. It tastes much better than a dung fork should.

My current favourite phrase is “jettisoned into the sun”.

For example: “People who don’t refill their market boxes in Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp should be jettisoned into the sun”.

It’s got such a pleasant, firm, finality to it. You don’t come back from a jettisoning.

Dammit, @penguin_lx (my favorite “Pengu” ever) jettison was in the very first introductory post in this thread! I knew there was a reason I liked you :star_struck:

Haha, that was many years ago! I can’t be expected to remember that far back!

It’s not as if we have some fancy technology that lets us go back in time :stuck_out_tongue:

(Don’t forget, everyone, the transition of this forum to it’s current format was back in 2015, but all of the posts were kept. It’s just that the dates of earlier topics and posts were necessarily changed to the time of the adoption of the Discourse format. It couldn’t be helped, there were threads that went back further than that).

I almost would like to submit philanthropy, but for some reason, it feels like it gets bits stuck in my teeth. Like candy floss that’s actually made of cotton, or buffalo wings. So instead, I present altruism, which for some reason reminds me of eating cotton candy whilst BASE jumping.

After doing some research on the territoriality of songbirds, because, well, insomnia, I was reminded of the boreal forest. Lovely word, lovely place to visit (but maybe not overwinter). Also known as the taiga, especially in Russia.

The former feels like a great northern forest in late spring and summer, a place full of light and warmth and birdsong; the latter the same place in the depths of snowy winter, austere and beautiful and deadly.

I was just thinking about how much I like the word “clowder” for a group of cats.

Apparently it’s related to the word “clutter”.

Old English Word:
Rantallion: One whose scrotum is so relaxed as to be longer than his penis, i. e. whose shot pouch is longer than the barrel of his piece.

I’ve found it a powerful and accurate descriptor for a lot of people currently in the public sphere.

Why do you enjoy saying it, though? That’s why this place exists (although the definition is not unwelcome, and it does bring a certain image, unbidden, to the mind).

Here’s a good one from 17th century English: Jussulent. Not only is this pleasant to say out loud, it means “full of soup (or broth)”. Which is also rather pleasant. :stew::spoon:

Speaking of curious old words I’d like to suggest a twitter account. Generally it has content that can be political and NSFW but I’m not trying to start a thread here about it. Their Word of the Day tweets will be usually mention sex but not depict it. Here is a sample @WhoresOfYore WordOfTheDay tweet.

We’re all adults here (I think. Even if we aren’t, I’m pretty sure we’ve already been permanently scarred by the internet).

We all know NSFW content should not be posted here directly, obviously, but your link was pretty amusing, and you did include a warning. I’ll call that “risqué,” and move on.

(I like saying risqué, this was the perfect opportunity to fit that in. It’s like something sweet and spicy and slightly burnt you’ve just gotten off the grill, like jerked chicken or Korean barbecue).

Another fun to say, obsolete English word: Phlyarologist (One who talks nonsense.) The source I have dates the word to the late 1860s.

Finally! Something to go back to grad school for!