Home Videos Games Podcastle

Pamplemousse: an Appreciation of Juicy Words

Stealing this word from the the intro thread, I think this one is amazing!

Wow. Just…wow.

Introduction Thread!

Something that isn’t a nice word. Gastroenteritis :flushed::flushed::flushed::weary::weary::weary:

So in French, a bibliothèque is a lending library but it’s also a bookcase.

A ludothèque is a toys and games lending library and it’s often used to refer to someone’s personal games collection.

I know, I had to look it up, and decipher the results with my awful French! There were almost no results in English, and online translation still needs some work.

I took high-school French for 3 semesters, but I still really suck at human languages (I can figure out machine languages more easily. I mean, it’s just math and logic, but human languages are all kinds of weird). I do love bibliothèque, not just because it’s one of my favorite words to say, but I have a nearly religious awe of libraries.

Being a prior purveyor of toys and games, and (obviously) also being an enthusiastic hobbyist with games (and also toys and gadgets and other odd things, like words), I think that’s an awesome concept. I wish something like that was more available in other countries, mostly my own.

It has an unpleasant meaning, but it’s fun to say. It’s like riding a horse after saying “Giddy-up!”

Last year, I had to see a gastroenterologist, and I never wasted an opportunity to say “my gastroenterologist,” as opposed to simply saying, “my GE.”

Do francaphone fans have acronyms like FLGS (friendly local game store)?

In Germany some board game cafes refer to themselves as a Ludothek, same latin root as in Bibliothek and their french counterparts respectively.

I am also digging that word. I did an image search, too, and man, that looks like fun.

We do have games cafes and pubs where I live, but the idea of a game-and-toy-centric lending library just blows me away.

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this here before, I love saying @nurdacil’s screen name. He explained to me once that to English speakers, (especially Americans, I think?) we would call it a “hard c,” like a “k” and to people from my country, it would sound like “nerd-a-'kill.” The word “dacil” means “the victor!” in Quenya (please correct me if I’m wrong, my friend. Despite my geekiness, Quenya is totally alien to me.)

(If any of you don’t know what Quenya is, let me help you: www.google.com. It’s a website where you can find all sorts of stuff!)

(EDIT: sorry guys, I’ve had a hard day, I’m a little sarcastic, I’ll stop.
Here is an actual link, sorry.)

He also told me “núre is the Quenya word for ‘the people’.” That’s cool!

Holy cow, and I thought I was a nerd :heart: :heart: :heart:

I think it’s also worth mentioning, that cottage garden and Indian summer were published by a publisher associated with one of the better known ludotheks: Spielwiese in Berlin. (Thus the name of the publisher Edition Spielwiese)

Equeniëlye mea, Sanyendil nildonya! :nerd_face:

“Well said, Justin my friend” or word for word: you said it in a good way Justin friend of mine (Justin loosely translated with “Friend of the Law”) yes the elves truly love their suffixes…

I was watching most recent version of the show The Tick (S1E11 The Beginning of the End), and one of the characters said (and I sh!t you not this is the actual line):

…croissants, that’s kind of a fun word to say, like pamplemousse!”

:clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl:

Oh, and I feel the need to follow up on this here (please click on @nurdacil’s spoiler text, above, for this to make sense):

“Justin” also means “righteous,” as well as “friend of the law,” as you said.

I’m not sure if that was the original meaning, or if it came from the names that people associated it with. Justinius or Justin, or lustinus or iustus, are they names that came to mean the words they were derived from, or names that came from the words that were in use?

I’m not particularly a friend of the law in all cases, but I’ll take righteous in the 1980s totally awesome radical sense!

I saw that too and immediately thought of this thread. :grinning:

inter alia, the raison d’etre of English is to be the lingua franca as I always say.

I am sad to say that I don’t know as I do all my games media consumption in English.

I do occasionally venture onto local sites or TricTrac but only to find out about events and associations.

I just used zephyr in another thread.

Awesome word, especially in scrabble.

Thanks for mentioning it. I went to TricTrac to check it out. I looked at the news page to see how much I could follow. Wow, I saw that a game called “Joan of Arc” is called “Joan of Arc”. That feels like it couldn’t be worse if there was an item called “Asterix, the Final Expansion: Warm Beer, Retiring to Lonindium”.

And now I have The Zephyr Song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers stuck in my head.

'Fly away in my Zephyr… ’

I was thinking about myriad the other day and how it’s a pretty word. It also reminds me of the scene from the 80s classic Heathers, where they are in English class and they are discussing myriad as the vocabulary word for that lesson.

It wouldn’t have a single colour, it would be irridescent or opalescent or perhaps pearlescent. Also wonderful words with a siblant sibling in effervescent twhose last syllable appropriately just pops off one’s tongue.

I have also been thinking back to my school days and all the wonderful vocabulary we were given to help describe the literature we were studying. Words that were joyful in their own right:

Onomatopeia
Juxtaposition
Alliteration
Assonance
Analogous
Couplet
Prose
Stanza