Home Videos Games Podcastle

Pamplemousse: an Appreciation of Juicy Words

That so little has been posted to this thread is simply infandous.

One of my favorite quotes from MASH was when Hawkeye pretends to be Charles and tells someone on the phone “I am both lugubrious and sagacious!” Which of course forced people to look those up, as even Hawkeye wasn’t sure what they meant. :slight_smile:

I had to look up infandous. Let’s not speak of it again.

Actually, one of the definitions included the word odious, which I thought was kind of funny. Infandous is pretty obscure, but imagine somebody looking it up who also didn’t know what odious meant? Sure, odious isn’t obscure, but it’s not exactly common, either. It’s like whoever wrote that definition made a slippery slope of vocabulary to make people look up the words that were contained in the definition of other words. That should be a big no-no in any manual of style in any lexographer’s toolkit, but I’m secretly 100% behind that kind of shenanigan.

Speaking of obscure, I really like camera obscura. It’s quirky and bubbly and slightly mystical. The actual thing is also cool and fun, you can make one out of a cereal box or an oatmeal can, and it’s a lot more fun to say than “pinhole camera.” You can also make one by poking a hole in the wall of a windowless room, but that makes it sound like a setup for a creepy movie.

Also pretty neat: the camera lucida. I cannot wait until mine arrives.

I’m also a bit enamored of Atlas Obscura, but that’s a whole 'nuther thing.

That is very, very cool. I would love to see some photos! I got to play with one when I was in school in an art class, but I’ve never seen one since. That’s kind of like how SLRs work, only not really. It’s a lot like how rear-view mirrors work when you flip down the thingy if someone behind you has headlights that are too bright.

Also a fan of Atlas Obscura. There are three notable points in my town on their site, and I’ve checked it out before I’ve traveled before so I could hit some spots in person.

For some reason, this has reminded me of another cool word: panopticon. Saying it has a similar cadence to a horse which is just about to gallop, but it smells like an ancient stone library.

Of the item itself, not my crummy drawings, right?

I will never be able to see that word without thinking of Geoff Manaugh’s excellent A Burglar’s Guide to the City. It was the first thing that made me think that I needed to make games, not just play them. (Mr. Manaugh internets under the name of BLDGBLOG. He’s full of fine words, that fellow.)

Totally your crummy drawings! It would help to show the efficaciousness of a camera lucidia. Do it for science!

I looked up Burglar’s Guide, and apparently it’s at my closest library branch. When I can get over there, I need to check it out. Just from what I’ve read about it, I can see the connections you’re talking about.
(It’s tempting to try and heist it, but I’d never do that to a library! I love them so.)

Incidentally (I know, not as fun as parenthetically (especially because of the surrounding parentheses) or even superfluously or extraneously, but it was more appropriate and I still like to say it), : Does anyone else notice how often perfectly good words you use here get the jaggy red underline suggesting it was misspelled? I think my “Add to dictionary” right-click menu option is getting worn out, I may have to order a new one.

And now I’m going to drop extemporaneously here on a whim ;p

Thanks to the highly excellent Sawbones podcast I have learned that I pronounce salve incorrectly. I honestly thought you pronounced the L.
It’s actually closer to suave, which is another fun word to say and pretend you are at the same time.

Oh, I’ve always pronounced the L in salve too… Well, if it’s confession time, until recently I genuinely thought misled was pronounced ‘my-zild’ and it took me even longer to realise the irony of being misled by misled.

Today I’ve been enjoying saying suave suavely. So thank you for that. I can also recommend saying aplomb with aplomb!

Aplomb with aplomb! How very apropos!

I’ma not gonna lie: I love that word entirely due to Doctor Who. I associate that word primarily with the show in my mind, even though it’s not actually an SF term.

That small phrase, taken out of context, explains a lot of how I got this way.

Stop this right now! You’re playing with a lit match, one that can possibly light itself! Self referential silliness should be taken seriously!
:fire::fireworks::sparkler::christmas_tree::rice_scene::boom::bomb::anger::confetti_ball::tada::boom::broken_heart:

It all asploded… we need to start over…

I had to put this here because something @KeithBlock and I are doing brought it up:

Glabrous. It means hairless or bald. Oddly, it comes up more often when talking about plants than when talking about animals (plants with fuzzy stems and/or leaves are “hirsute,” believe it or not, which also a fun word. Plants with smooth and/or shiny parts are “glabrous.”)

I don’t know how this word got away from us in a way that its sister, hirsute, did not. Bald is beautiful, people. I’ve got a lot of hair, but I’m not going to let that dictate my life choices.

The word itself seems a bit oily and bubbly, actually a bit homely, even though it’s otherwise shiny and smooth. It reminds me of a girl I would like despite an obvious overbite and a spotty complexion, because she’s sweet and smart and has a great personality.

Spellcheck insists that it’s misspelled. It is not.
Spellcheck wants it to be “glamorous.” And you know what? It is.

Zugunruhe. The restlessness migratory birds exhibit when migration season approaches. Even if Sie sprechen kein Deutsch, it just seems like the right word.

Wow. I’m German and haven’t even heard of that before. Makes perfect sense, though. And it does sound nice.

I like to refer to shopping trips as “going for a peruse” and will occasionally crack out the word “ablutions” if I’m running a bath.

the highest use/joy of use ration probably goes to “trundle” though.

I like a nice trundle.

I listened to the internet’s pronunciation of this. I would like to hear yours. It sounds like… well, everything you said it does.
But I don’t trust YouTube or my own flawed understanding of German. The word seems like a rich, dark candy that you bite off in three parts, just to let it go at the end. If you can give us a better recording, that would be awesome.

I would ask for a more descriptive thing of how the word tastes, but you kind of nailed it. I just want to know why it nailed it somehow for me, too (I don’t speak German well at all), and apparently it worked for @webs, too, who’s ear I trust.

Yes to all three!

Peruse is very everyday, though, like “I’m going to lick an envelope.” Only with a hint of a look at the booksellers, and driving the car there. There is a link with “graze” and “browse,” and booksellers, believe it or not: grazers eat grass, browsers eat leaves, perusers eat both, but can’t make up their minds.
Readers are constantly referred to in comparison to the various herbivores of the world in English.

I do have to admit, “ablutions” sounds bubbly. It tastes like soap, just a bit. And a morning bath.
It does also have connotations of the morning “voiding,” but “ablutions” gracefully overlooks all of that for our sakes, pulling off four syllables like it was only one.

Trundle, though, is hilarious. Trundle is so awkward, it’s a hayride on a cart that has only one broken wheel. It tastes like candy that you didn’t expect, toothpicks in the treacle.
Well done.

The word ravishing but really rolling the R. I am wont to describe my friends as such on social occassions.

As a side note, the host of this show (as he reveals in the first few seconds of this youtube) has a way of sAYing wORDS in what you might call a “juicy” fashion that I have found endlessly amusing

“before the room was bLAND!

Perhaps, but not because it’d teach you what the word really sounds like. The remnants of my high school German from 20 years ago is good for embarrassing entertainment at best.