Home Videos Games Podcastle

Pamplemousse: an Appreciation of Juicy Words

Not in the spirit of this thread, but it’s still one of my favorite humorous exchanges about words:

Dr. Samuel Johnson: [places two manuscripts on the table, but picks up the top one] Here it is, sir. The very cornerstone of English scholarship. This book, sir, contains every word in our beloved language.
Blackadder: Every single one, sir?
Dr. Samuel Johnson: Every single word, sir!
Blackadder: Oh, well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafribblarities.
Dr. Samuel Johnson: What?
Blackadder: “contrafribblarities”, sir? It is a common word down our way.
Dr. Samuel Johnson: Damn!
[writes in the book]
Blackadder: Oh, I’m sorry, sir. I’m anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.
[later]
Blackadder: Leaving already doctor? Not staying for your pendigestatery interludicule ?

Had to move this from the thread it was in to the thread I thought I was adding it to! Haha! Fridays…:relaxed:

I just discovered this fantastic word (apologies if someone has listed it before):

Floccinaucinihilipilification - The action or habit of estimating something as worthless.

Going by that definition I do this at least once a work day when people call me up about something they think is incredibly valuable…but isn’t.

This is apparently the longest, non-technical (official) word in the English language as it is one letter longer than the more common antidisestablishmentarianism (29 vs. 28).

Like all good words, it has both an American pronunciation, which uses a long i in …ni-hil, and a British pronunciation, which uses the short i. The short i being the correct way to say “nihil” in the original Latin, I side with my cousins across the pond on this one.

And on the pronunciation of schedule as well.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

How do you pronounce the other 24 letters?? :stuck_out_tongue:

“Throat-warbler mangrove”.

According to the website, "…Riggwelter takes its name from the local Yorkshire Dales dialect – when a sheep is on its back and can’t get up without help, local dialect says it is riggwelted.[4] This dialect word comes from the old Viking words: ‘rigg’(rygg) meaning back and ‘velte’ to overturn (the words and their meaning are still largely the same in the modern North Germanic languages)

Firlefanz!

My first introduction to riggwelter was from a Black Sheep beer, years ago. Between the word and the image on the tap handle, the memory sticks. My hazy memory recalls that it was a stronger beer then, around 8%, which better suited an upsy-daisy ovine.

Well, I got my quote from the Wikipedia entry for Black Sheep beer, so there you go. :slight_smile:
It does say that the beer only has 5,9%, so maybe your hazy memory comes from combining it with too many other flavors? :wink:

As an aside, the German word Rücken for back most probably stems from this viking word rygg/rigg.
There is also wenden, meaning turning around/inside out, but I hace no idea whether that is etymologically related to velte.

Put it here. Why not?

And as long as we are talking about German and alcohol, I would like to drop this off: Reinheitsgebot

So, I am back with my favourite collective nouns for animal “herds”.

A flamboyance of flamingos
A mischief of rats
An escargatoire of snails
A kaleidoscope of butterflies
A wake of vultures
A murder of crows or magpies
A cackle of hyenas
A pride of peacocks

The first and latter are not only referring to gays… :grimacing:

Apparently a pride of peacocks is a “Bukett Fasane” in German. :grinning:

I’ve been trying to come up with a collective noun for owlbears, for the definitive documentary I’ve been writing about owlbear biology and ecology. The best one I have so far is a stump of owlbears.

In fact, I’ve come up with this:

cublet (baby) (note, this was a cross between cub and owlet, owlet being one of the most adorable words I’ve ever heard)
nest (a single owlbear family)
matron (nest mother)
patron (nest father)
den (a group of owlbear nests)
matriarch (den mother)
patriarch (den father)
stump (any group of owlbears)

Yes, I know how dorky this is, but I’ve written about half a dozen pages all about the life cycle of the common owlbear. Fight me.

An amalgamation of owlbears?

I don’t know, amalgamation seems too general (although, that is indeed a lovely word). For some reason, stump has just stuck with me. I’m not entirely pleased with it, but I can’t get rid of it. I can’t shake it. It just seems to work.

I tried a congress, and a parliament, and others (congress was taken), but stump seems to fit, somehow. I can’t explain it.

A district of owlbears?
A voting block of owlbears?
A Gerrymander of owlbears?
A picnic of owlbears?

A cavern of Owlbears.
Or…
A throng of Owlbears.
Or…
A platoon of Owlbears.
Or (my personal choice)…
A smack of Owlbears.

…pssst… a gygax of owlbears…

@penguin_lx @Boydesian @brian
I am very much in favor of picnic, smack, and gygax. Those seem very appropriate, and they are quite fun to say, especially gygax. Gygax would be a fun tribute, but it’s very much a proper individual noun. That being said, it’s super tempting and delicious. Smack is so straight forward, and it’s got that onomatopoeia appeal, and it sounds how it tastes. But picnic is more of a naturally collective noun, and I like the 1-2 staccato.
I’ll give it some thought. Stump is fun, but those are better,

Argh, this topic has been languishing! (You may or may not like languish, it’s odd that way. It’s always either neglected, or intentionally self neglectful. In a way, it’s kind of like black licorice, which you either love or hate, but everything and/or everyone that has anything to do with that licorice is in a hammock, so you really can’t be arsed either way).

So I just found pedunculated! Hehehe, that’s a blast to say! But don’t look it up on Wikipedia, it’s kind of gross, and closer to a blastoma than a blast.

It has a related word, sessile, which is slippery fun on the palate, like eating peeled lychee, but it also has a meaning a bit to corporeal to just whip it out at any old time.

PS: @brian, This is as official as it’s going to get for now: it’s a picnic of owbears colloquially, but a Gygax of owbears when speaking academically.

Oh, sure. I’ll drop another fun word: dubhagan

A Gaelic word that describes both the deep part of a pool and the pupil of an eye.