Home Videos Games Podcastle

Pamplemousse: an Appreciation of Juicy Words

Do you have any words that are delicious to just say out loud? Just a word that is fun, that rolls off your tongue, and makes you happy just to say it? A word that makes you feel like you’ve just had a bite to eat after you’ve said it? A word that may have nutritional value?

Language of origin or definition isn’t the focus here, it’s all about just really liking to say a certain word or words, regardless of your native language or dialect.

The important thing is that you really enjoy saying the word out loud. It may be juicy and sticky, or crunchy and hard but you can suck the marrow out of it, or dreamy and silky, or any other reason why it’s more of a delicacy than other words.

(Sesquipedalian loquaciousness is not the goal here, but it’s not forbidden).

A list of words I didn't find when I searched this forum

I’ll start.

Pamplemousse: the French word for grapefruit. It’s just a lot of fun to say! "Pomp-el-moose!"
The Italian, “pompelmo,” isn’t half-bad, either. Pomp-elll-moh. Especially when you’re hamming it up with an accent.

When “OK, Go” started their indie label, they named their record company “Paracadute” because it just sounded fun to say, and I can totally get behind that.

I am also a fan of the words “jettison,” “detritus,” “juxtapose,” “luminous,” and “paragraph.”

Ooh, I almost forgot: “interrobang” (!?)
Interrobang kicks ass.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

I am personally a fan of effervescent! Also vexation. Attrition. And of course that old favorite poppycock!

@Pravikun Oooh, well played! Those are indeed quite yummy.

I’ve always been fond of onomatopoeic (which I can’t believe I spelled right first go) and anthropomorphic (thanks, Sir Terry).

I love onomatopoeic as well, but I’ve always thought it’s a little suspicious for not sounding like anything.

Anthropomorphic is also excellent. It’s one of my favorites!

I’m going to whip this one out: idiosyncratic, which besides being fun to say, it kind of describes everything we do here.

every time i walk through the first-class carriage on a train (on my way to a bit i’m, you know, allowed in) i have to fight the urge to say antimacassar loudly and repeatedly

i have a tendency to overuse the word analogously because it’s so lovely

also, the word pamplemousse always reminds me of the aguamoose man from dare to believe (and if anyone else gets that reference i so flpping love you)

@philthD I did not get that aguamoose reference. But, I have since looked it up and familiarized myself with it. You are a very strange person. I wholeheartedly approve.

OK, I’m going to bed now, but after these 2 more: flotsam & jetsam. You can’t have one without the other.

I’ve always liked metatheatre. It has a lovely rhythm to it. And vemillion too.

And the phrase metasyntatic variable (thanks, Sir Terry). It’s just fun to say

Twitter conversation today reminded me how much I love simpatico. It’s tasty and there’s something weirdly onomatopoeic about it.

I also use ambivalent way too much (though maybe that says more about me than my word preferences). Ooh, I quite like oblique.

Relatedly, I get a pretty cool email newsletter a few times a week (Clippings) that always includes a word, and they make really great selections. Today’s is decollate which strikes me as a very un-onomatopoeic word!

My my this is a board game website forum here people and no one has brought out in this thread the very name of a game that is also a word? I am shocked and appalled! Appalled also being another of those lovely words.

That’s a twofer. Oh snap, I guess that’ll make three because I do like the word Twofer. XD! I’m on a roll. Well let’s get to the meat and potatoes of this post. The word that should have been said before now because it’s also the name of a game.

Balderdash. Not only a word that is the name of a game, it’s the word that’s the name of a game all about words.

Defenestrate is a favourite for me - I don’t get nearly enough opportunities to use it as I’d like.

Machination is another, it just sounds so sinister somehow. I suppose I’m just a sucker for four syllable words (said no-one, ever).

@siayres Arrgh, you beat me to the punch! Defenestration is, indeed, the best fenestration. I was holding that in reserve for a special occasion, but now that idea’s totally out the window.

I’ve noted quite a few of us like the onomatopoeic effects of some words, so I’ll quietly leave this one here:
susurration.

I quite like propreantepenultimate, which means fifth-to-last. I like it because it just feels so clever, you know, when something just feels so right and apt and perfect? I love how it uses like 4 different ways to say ‘before’, because whoever came up with it decided you couldn’t just keep adding ‘pre-’ onto the front over and over (like prepreprepreultimate). It’s also great because you can lop bits off the front depending on how many ‘before last’ you want to say, so you can just do preantepenultimate, or antepenultimate, to add to the more common penultimate. I like that.

Also I like segue, since I properly learnt what it means, and I like imagining how it’s spelt and how ridiculous it is.

Also Francisco. Because Buddy is right.

Backpfeifengesicht: A face crying out for a punch.

@macnme Those Germans know how to make fun words! From easy ones, like schadenfreude, gestalt, and zeitgeist, to insane ones, like rinderkennzeichnungs- und Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz.

@xFoxUK propreantepenultimate seems like it has some fun recursive value. You can just adjust the prefixes to make it an infinitely long word, potentially.
It reminds me of another favorite word of mine, reify, which is a prefix and a suffix without a base word in the middle. Reify is both fun to say and a slightly boggling concept.
(Oooh, “boggling” is a good one, too!)

I’m going to put one of my favorite ones from when I was in high-school here: “deoxyribonucleic acid,” (DNA). Some science words have all the highs and lows of an arabesque, making them roller-coasters of the tongue.

I’m not trying to bump this, it’s just that Ben in today’s Games News’ comments dropped a really fun one: combinatorics.

I’m sorry I managed to overlook this previously.

Here are two classics from our old friends, the Romans: Circumvallation (an encircling fortified line facing inwards and preventing escape from a besieged position) and its lovely sister, Contravallation (an encircling fortified line facing outwards and preventing rescue of said besieged position from the outside).

I am also partial to the word Portmanteau. And speaking of portmanteaus, here is my personal favorite that was conjured up one day by my roommate during our sophomore year at boarding school: Relieviate. I just think it’s brilliant and still use it whenever I can to this day.

Almost forgot; the old Mongol capital of Karakorum. That is a fun word to say. And Homer is full of great names and words. The best of which (in my humble opinion) is the name of a small town that could only send one ship to Troy: Thisbe (of the Many Pigeons). It’s a real place in Boeotia (another great word) and there still are lots of native pigeons/doves living in the hills above the old Bronze Age site (near the modern town of Thisvi).

@Boydesian Portmanteau is great. I love saying it, writing it, and the meaning.

It reminds me of a lot of other great words that got thrown around like confetti on Wikipedia: I have used disambiguation in common conversation, which is super-fun, and also useful! Saying folksonomy actually makes you seem unrelatabe to who whoever you’re talking with, so I don’t recommend that.

It’s still fun to say folksonomy, and even folksontology. Just don’t expect anyone to know what the hell you mean.

PS: Relieviate is a lot like reify. They both kind of sound like they’re just made-up, pretend words.
But then again, all the words are made-up pretend words. The majority of our language-speakers have simply agreed upon using some sounds to mean things arbitrarily a long time ago.

Lewis Carrol, where are you when we need you!?!

Ahem. Ahem.

Corpuscular

Bows