Home Videos Games Podcastle

[news article]Polygon on most influential board games

In their “Decade in Review” special, Polygon has published this article which has four well-known board game designers" ( Rob Daviau (creator of the legacy system, according to Polygon), Elizabeth Hargrave (Wingspan), Volko Ruhnke (Labyrinth: The War on Terror) and Jamey Stegmaier (Scythe) name the most influential board games of the decade.

Thought you’d all like to read this and discuss if you agree or not? Honestly my own board games experience is not so diverse that I could name any one that has made a serious dent this decade, I’d have trouble naming the ones that were influential last year (though I usually answer: Gloomhaven on these kinds of questions, quite often it is the ‘correct’ answer).

Oh and something else I read which I was meaning to share with you all for some time now, an overview of the past year on the movement of board games on the Board Game Geek Top 100 Boardgames. It shows exactly when boardgames moved from top to bottom or vice versa. I haven’t had the time to cross-reference it with SU&SD’s reviews to establish how influential this site is…

3 Likes

I saw this on Reddit a couple of days ago. I don’t feel my tastes are represented by these choices in designers and their choices of games. But I also don’t think every article about boardgames needs to pander to my tastes.

I just wonder what the target audience really is.

2 Likes

Dominion, the game that launched an entire genre, missed this list by a couple years.

There was a time when legacy games were popping up all the time, but Rob Daviau was probably too modest to nominate his own Risk Legacy / Pandemic Legacy.

I agree with Daviau on Zombicide as huge KS projects have become a thing in the industry, not necessarily to its betterment.

Did TIME Stories start the trend of some games having a consumable scripted narrative? I feel like Choose Your Adventure at the very least did it way earlier.

2 Likes

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective certainly set the consumable mystery precedent decades earlier.

I think Time Stories, likely, showed that consumable mystery game design can milk money out of a whole new demographic; formerly it was just CCG/TCG/LCG and miniature games that had that kind of revenue model

2 Likes

Can I take a moment to pull @Annic aside? Slightly off-topic…

(whispers sotto voce: “You are such a nerd for bringing this up. Please never leave us.”)

1 Like

This article made me think of this thread, so I’m posting it here in case others are interested:

1 Like