Home Videos Games Podcastle

Need a good entry point for Rosenburg & dexterity games

So I have the fortune of working at an awesome game store and we have a gigantic sale that starts this weekend. I usually like to use our sales as an opportunity to try new types of games, but I’m having trouble figuring out the best entry point for the two genres I’m most curious about:

Rosenberg: The prolific designer has hits in many categories, but i haven’t played many of his most famous ones. I’m debating between Feast for Odin, Caverna, and Indian Summer (or another game in that series if someone has a strong reccomendation). I love the idea of diving into something as weighty as Caverna, but I also want something easy to get to the table, preferably one that works with two players as well as it does with 3-4. I’m pretty sure I’m also going to pick up Lowlands, so maybe something that provides a slightly different experience?

Dexterity games: I was initially going to get Catacombs, but seeing as they’re launching a playmat version on kick starter, I’ll probably wait. But I still want a lighter-weight, perhaps more competitive dexterity game in the mean time and am having trouble picking between Castles and Catacombs and Flick 'em Up. Looking for something that’s easy to get to the table but that also has good replayability. Like a game that would appeal to people who get pretty casually competitive with pingpong and air hockey?

I know those are simultaneously specific and overly general parameters. I guess I’m mostly looking to hear people’s experiences with the games above, especially if they’re able to compare and contrast.

Appreciate everyone’s time and feedback and thanks for the help!

For Rosenberg, it’s Agricola first, but that’s quite hardcore in terms of player screw (it happens quite a lot). For 2 player Rosenberg, Patchwork is one of the best there is, and if you want the heavier Euros without too much brain burning, Nusfjord would be my pick. AFFO is magnificent, but Nusfjord is so lean, tight and very, very good.

What do you want from the rosenberg?
The WP games are fairly different to the polyominos games (algebra v geometry brains)

Technically lowlands isn’t rosenberg. That reykholt looks pretty simple and feels like it has an easy to understand rhythm and pace.

For the dexterity game Junkart might be worth a consideration. The awesome thing (but also a flaw potentially) is that it comes with about a dozen or so games which use nice pieces to make co-op ish, race, Jenga type dexterity games. It’ll mean there’ll be something there for whatever you group fancies and there’s a way of playing that mixes all the mini games up.

Do you have a desired player count?

Flick 'em Up is 2-player really, but you can wrangle additional players with a little house ruling.

Flipships might be another dexterity game worth considering (in addition to the above mentioned Junk Art). Men at Work sounds promising too based on the most recent podcast.

The entry point for Rosenburg is in the third verse of “We Didn’t Start the Fire”:

Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
Brando, “The King and I” and “The Catcher in the Rye”

:stuck_out_tongue:

In seriousness, I’ve only played Patchwork, but it is a marvelous game for two players. I do have Lowlands but have not yet had the opportunity to play it, and while not designed by him, it does have his seal of approval and I believe he did have some input into its design.

For dexterity games, I have only played Catacombs one time, though I also have Catacombs and Castles. It was a lot of fun. I know some people really enjoy Ice Cool, but not having played it myself, I can’t say if it has good replayability or not. You do appear to be looking more at games involving flicking pieces around over something like Meeple Circus, Junk Art, or Men at Work where stacking and balancing is the core of the dexterity mechanic, but if you want to branch out, those all look fun.

I second the recommendation for Nusfjord!

Klask is similar to air hockey, but with a much smaller footprint.

I think I might end up getting two Rosenberg games - one worker placement, one tile laying/drafting. I know Lowlands isn’t designed by him, but I hear his influence on it makes it feel similar to his games.

I have heard good things about Junk Art. I’ll have to give it a closer look, though I might just wait for Men at Work to come out as it also looks like a fun stacking game.

I totally forgot about Nusfjord. I’ll definitely take it into consideration!

For Rosenberg tile-laying, Pathwork can’t be beat at 2 players, but if you want something that goes to 3 or 4, I would go with Indian Summer.

Dexterity-wise, because I am a big fan of self-imposed mayhem, I very much recommend Paku Paku. Dice rolling and item stacking? In real time? Simultaneously? Yes please.

Oh my gosh, and no Rosenberg discussion would be complete without the other type of Rosenberg game: Bohnanza! That’s the one you get; you get Bohnanza.

Ice cool is OK for a really simple flicking game that plays quickly. I do get the impression it would be about ten times better playing a giant demo-sized edition though.

I saw „Men at Work“ at Essen 2018 and it looked interesting.

I own Flipships, it’s bloody hard but it‘s still pretty fun, so a +1 from me.

I was very tempted by Men at Work, but then I thought “how often am I actually going to get to play this, given the people I play with”…

We just got some copies of Catch the Moon for my granddaughter’s games club at school.

Very fun dexterity game, stacking ladders as high as possible.

Bohnanza is actually the one Rosenberg game I have played. It is a lot of fun, but my sister owns it, so I can always play her copy. A good recommendation, though!

Yeah, figuring out which games will be most successful with a group is always the hard part. I’ve got a number of games that I’d love to play more regularly, but don’t have a group that can regularly get together to play them l.

I havent had the chance to try it, but Seal Team Flix gets a ton of live from the guys on So Very Wrong About Games (unfortunately it’s sold out everywhere I look).

I also want to grab Junk Art, and as the wood version is on sale at a FOGS, I’m hoping to get it soon (just waiting to see if they get a couple of others games in before it sells out; Canadian stores seem to be behind fairly often).

The one dexterity game we have played, is Flick Em Up: Dead of Winter. We’ve only played the first full-coop scenario, and lost everytime (it has taken awhile to get the rules down regarding the zombies), but it’s pretty fun.

It was the first one I played (years before I really got into the hobby or knew anything at all about Uwe Rosenberg), and probably the one I’ve played the most. I’ve used it as a gateway game from Catan. “You know how the best part of Catan is the trading? This is ONLY that.”

I love dexterity games! They make up a significant portion of my collection. Stacking games are my favorite type of dexterity games, and in my opinion original Rhino Hero is the perfect entry point. It is super cheap and really fun. I also have rhino hero super battle, and that is really fun too, but it is at least twice as expensive and a much bigger box. I also think original animal upon animal is a great entry point but needs to be slightly house ruled for adults (count the alligator die result as a one).

For flicking games, my current favorite is Mars Open. It is glorified paper football, and it’s quite fun.

For Rosenburgs, the only one I still have is Patchwork (it’s great). For me personally, after I played Castles of Burgundy I lost the desire to play Agricola. While it’s not a Rosenburg, it is a similar type of fun, and it’s really cheap, so that could be worth a look too.