Home Videos Games Podcastle

Meals for the Merely Misfortunate Game Night (Or, One-Pot-Wonders-that-may-not-need-a-pot)

Hi folks. I’m living alone and love to cook, but due to mental illness I find it difficult to cook as well. Thanks to depression, most days I can either cook OR do the dishes, usually not both. As such I’ve been making a bunch of almost one-pot-wonders or foods that work well for many many meals. I can make a mean Chicken Tikka Masala, a basic meatless spaghetti sauce, steamed broccoli, roasted brussel sprouts, pizza, rice, and the occasional sausage and bean accompaniment.

All of these are fantastic meals and I look forward to making them, but I also recognize that I need a varied diet that isn’t just tomatoes and grain/rice. And I didn’t see a topic like this in cooking elsewhere. So how about a thread for one-pot-wonders that can serve one person many days or many people for one great night? It also helps if suddenly you’re the one who has to host after a catastrophic cancellation, and you only have a single clean pot!

I’ll kick things off with a pasta sauce I got off of PBS.

Ingredients:
1 Onion of your choice of size, grated on a grater
2 Tablespoons of butter
1/4 Teaspoon of Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon salt + more to taste
2 medium garlic cloves or 2 teaspoons minced or crushed garlic
One 28-Oz can of crushed Tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Optional:
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil

melt the butter on medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add the onion, oregano, and salt, and cook, stirring a bit, until the onion is golden brown and this takes about 5 minutes.Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and sugar. bring to a simmer over high heat then back the heat down to medium low, simmering until a bit thicker, about 10 minutes. Stir in the basil and olive oil, and then toss into about 1 pound of cooked pasta. I prefer Spaghetti, cuz then you can use the leftovers when you can’t stand it anymore to make a nice pasta frittata.

One of my favourite one pot recipes is the chili recipe you can find at the end of Matt’s Opener video for one night ultimate werewolf. Here’s the recipe from my own recipe book:

Ingredients
500g mince
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1 tin of chopped tomato
½ beef stock cube (in mug of water)
Red bell pepper,chopped
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp marjoram/orgeno
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tin kidney beans
1 thumb v. dark chocolate
⅓ cup of espresso/strong coffee
Instructions

1. Fry mince in big pot until brown, then add onions and cover until onion goes soft.
  2. Add the other ingredients as ordered in the recipe.

This is a great idea for a thread, let’s keep it up! :slight_smile:

Also this pizza dough recipe while not a ‘one-pot’ recipe you can make pizza dough and freeze it for later use.

I have one for gazpacho I posted a long time ago. it keeps well, tastes good, is filling, and is also good as a side-dish with something. It’s mostly a summer thing because it’s cold and refreshing, however I did rant on a bit in the description, and I think I messed up a little in the conversions.

Here’s the simple version:

3 tomatoes
1 cucumber
1 red onion (though I use sweet onion)
1 clove fresh garlic
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup vinegar
3/4 pint tomato juice (a soda-sized can of V-8 is better)
1 yellow pepper
salt and pepper to taste

What I have for the Recipes for Disaster post is much more elaborate (I made the post before the cooking sub-forum existed and then moved it there) but a lot of that is just about technique, you shouldn’t have to worry about that.

Just chop stuff and put it in a big bowl, stick it in the fridge, eat it for the next few days as a side or as a soup.

One Pot Korma - I use butternut Squash in mine, but can be anything

You’ll need a large flat (optionally oven proof) pan, a slotted spoon, a kitchen knife and a bowl to eat out of (that you’re OK putting into the oven on a low temperature) and cutlery, but also gets used in the cooking process - I use a pasta bowl and a frying pan.

1/2 a Butternut Squash
226g Paneer
Butter
Some Flour
Some Water (Or skimmed milk)
(A pinch of Salt) Optional depending on how salty your butter is
pinch of baking powder (Optional, if you don’t need your bread to be fluffy)

Your favourite Korma Sauce, or:

1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 or 3 whole peppercorns
Handful of dried curry leaves (or a few fresh ones)
1 sticks cinnamon
2 whole cloves
1 cardamom pod, slightly bruised
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (I use frozen prechopped)
1 inches fresh ginger, grated (I use frozen preChopped)
1 large clove of garlic, cut up (I use frozen, prechopped) - this may be too much garlic, I love it and tend to put too much in for people who don’t really like it
20g coriander (cilantro) - this just tastes soapy to me so I never put it in, but apparently, this is about right
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
4 cloves garlic, chopped (See above)
juice of 1/2 a lime
1/2 tbsp sugar
0 to 3 green chilies, halved and seeds removed
Pinch of salt
1-2 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp ground cashew nuts
Pinch of turmeric
1 tinned plum tomato, chopped
1/3 cup coconut milk

First things first, cut your Butternut Squash and Paneer into bite sized cubes - smaller is better. Fry them gently in butter until they are browned to taste. Don’t let the butter brown too much, you need to save it! Turn off the heat and use the slotted spoon to put the cooked pieces into your pasta bowl, leaving as much butter in the pan as possible. Let the butter cool down a bit.

Pour a decent whack of flour (and baking powder) over the butter. get your hands in there (making sure the butter is cool) and bring the flour and butter together, adding water (or skimmed milk and salt to taste) to form a dough that prefers to stick to itself than the pan. Spread the dough out thinly and here you can either cook it on the hob, flipping the bread halfway, or put the pan in the oven. Either way, cook the bread,.

The next bit takes a small amount of dexterity - it saves you a bowl however from the washing up - judge for yourself which is easiest, the extra bowl or this. You basically need to get the bread under your butternut squash and paneer in your bowl. You can pour from pan to pan, use your cutlery, any which way!

(At this stage, if youre not up to homemade, pour your favourite Korma sauce into the pan, heat it through and skip to the last stage)

Heat the fryng pan. Remember, it’s butter in there and you don’t want to burn it, so don’t whack the heat up too high! Add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pods and cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat until seeds begin to pop.

Stir in onion and cook for about 10 minutes until golden and soft.

Add ginger and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.

(Optionally, stir in ground cashew nuts, chilies, and coriander mixture and cook for 2 minutes.)

Add turmeric and tomato, crushing it against the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil (there may not be much liquid, add some water if necessary) and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove and discard the hard spices and using your slotted spoon, crush the lumpy bits of the sauce against the bottom of the pan.

Add the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 minutes. While you do this, put your bowl with the bread and butternut and paneer into the oven on a low temperature to warm though.

Pour your sauce over the bread and butternut/paneer, enjoy!

(( I spent years living out of a beloved Remoska, so I have a tonne of these recipes, everything’s one pot when that’s all you have. I’ll try and dig more out ))

I’m sorry William, I love you like a member of my own family, but you lost me at “squash.” Kind of like cooking spinach. I just can’t bring myself to cook the stuff. It’s so much better raw or mostly raw, depending on the varietal.

The korma seems brilliant, though! It’s, well, a big recipe, of course, and I kind of want to use it on a pork loin more than squash.

I find that a lot of really good one pot meals tend to have a lot of ingredients, but the ones I use the most divide ingredients up into batches that get launched into the meal at specific points. I’ve got a chicken tikka recipe that I’ll post here on the morrow that does that.

Also bulk ingredient prep is a godsend. I swear by the jars of garlic pasted and ginger past, cuz my garlic press is terrible and my ginger grater is nonexistent.

I hate to admit this, but I’ve actually used my file (on the course side) of my multi-tool to grate ginger when my family wasn’t looking.

(The Microplane would have probably been fine, but my sister stole it back after we initially stole it from her, and we actually have a normal cheese grater that honestly probably would have worked. I planted what was left over of the root, though, and now we have a ginger plant! I suck at gardening, I really thought it wasn’t going to live, but it’s doing pretty good.)

Here’s mine (from memory) for a quinoa and bean chilli:

• 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
  • 2 x 400g tins kidney/black-eyed beans
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper finely chopped
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 vegetable stock cube
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • salt and pepper

Chuck it all in the slow cooker on low for about 7 hours.

This is my go-to for work lunches, makes 5 reasonable large (400g) portions.

It seems you’ve stumbled into n this recipes roots in getting my son to eat vegetables! It worked, and this recipe is still one of his favourites, but you could put the squash in after, but I like that the fruitiness of it gets absorbed into the bread via the butter, or use any meat you want!

@tomm_archer , you lost me at quinoa (if you click on the link over there <-, scroll up a bit for @SleepyWill’s issues with sea buckthorn. That whole thread stared with Brussels sprouts, though, just be aware).

I’ve been trying to get both my kids to eat meat! They’re not getting enough protein or iron.

They’re both vegetarian, the older one won’t even eat anything that has gelatin (he’s being a flaky vegan. Honey’s OK but no red dye 40 because it’s extracted from beetles. I keep telling him honey is made from crushed up bees! You can just put a bee in a garlic press, instant honey! Of course, because this is my kid we’re talking about, he thought that was hilarious.)

It’s just they won’t eat any stuff that can compensate for meat. The older one is OK with tofu, so that’s something, even though he’s backed down from pesco-lacto-ovo, but the little one just wants plain bread and cheese and veggies.

Anyway, this is an oddball delicious hot dip for sturdy crackers, like wheat thins, or (ideally) toasted rye bread. It’s basically a Ruben sandwich in dip form. Cheap, fast, and easy:

8 oz cream cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
8 oz corned beef, shredded fine or at least chopped the heck to bits
1/2 cup sauerkraut (well drained, I mean stick in a towel over the sink and twist. You probably want to chop that a bit up, too)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Russian dressing (or Thousand Island, they’re almost the same thing)
1/2 teaspoon of real mustard, like Coleman’s or Chinese mustard, or just mix some up with mustard powder and water and roll with it

Put it all (except for the dipping crackers or bread, seriously guys, I don’t have to spell this completely out, right?)
anyway, put it all in something that can be heated, gently make it hot and stir it till it’s a dip. Use crackers and/or bread to eat it. Surprisingly good, minimal effort.

Mine doesn’t eat meat either, he lost his front baby teeth after a seizure so grew up struggling to eat it, and has just swerved it - he’s not a vegetarian, but I did a wall chart of all the key nutrients, and stickers of the different foods he eats that he can stick on - so hopefully, he not only learns what nutrients are in each food, he learns how to make sure he stays balanced - and sugar takes up “slots” on the chart, which reduces his possible rewards. It’s not for every kid, especially if they are older, but it’s one idea!

Is this what we call corned beef in England? I’ve always been under the impression that corned beef in the states is very different, and much less processed.

Typically what get’s called Corned Beef in Britrain

You don’t need me to tell you that he’s an awesome little dude Will, (unlike my two brats), but my so-called “adult” son has became enamored of “nooch” (“nutritional yeast”).

It’s obviously a kind of a fad he’s going through, but there could be worse ones. At least it’s not heroin.

Or Vegemite (I really love Vegemite please keep me away from it).

Nutritional Yeast? I think we call it Marmite in the Uk

No! That’s more like corned beef hash, a very different thing.

Corned beef is something that’s been preserved and rolled in peppercorns. Corned beef hash is a mixture of diced beef and potatoes that’s often found in a can and fried up with eggs in roadside diners.

I am unfortunately fond of Marmite as well.

We have corned beef hash, which is the same thing except, only the corned beef comes out of a can, that above has no potato or anything in it, it’s just beef that’s been “corned” I guess… it tastes absolutely unique though, quite strong, and even if you like it as I do, it’s not exactly a pleasant taste.

Kind of like pet food for people?

Or, possibly Bachelor Chow from Futurama?

Because that’s totally corned beef hash. I love it and am simultaneously disgusted by it.