Home Videos Games Podcastle

Making an egg for my good self

Right… I know what we’re doing this weekend!

Just remember if the blender is really full keep a hand on the lid or it will pop off and go everywhere!!!

(Unless you have one of those fancy ones that are specially made for this, which would either make you a nob or a gourmet. This also works well if you have an immersible hand-blender or a hand-mixer. Honestly, I don’t know if people in other English-speaking countries call them something different.)

And also that everything is as cold as possible, except the egg which should be cold but for crying out loud don’t freeze the egg! I know this because of…let’s just call it a “learning moment” I’ve had. Or possibly several “learning moments” if we count the first sentence of my current post about the blender lid. Room temp or fridge temp egg is fine if everything else is cold, cold, cold.

Well… we don’t actually own a blender. I was just going to whisk really hard

Kidding, we have a hand blender, it’ll be fine!

(I have learned to love powdered malt, as well. I never had this as a kid, I actually had to seek this out as an adult. Malted milkshakes are pretty fine. Some people find malt off-putting, though, and I’ve yet to find a reason to use malt in anything but desserts or brewing. But really, this has nothing to do with a nice egg with toast cut into soldiers, so I’ll stop talking now.)

Yeah, I would make an “egg flip” - basically an eggy milkshake with egg (duh) and honey, nutmeg etc when I was a growing lad.

You can get pasteurised egg in the UK now too, though the market is tiny for consumer products with it - most is bulk ingredient to other food producers making cakes, biscuits etc. There are only really one or two companies making tetra pak style cartons for sale.
Couple of years ago I worked as the Quality Manager at a new egg pasteurisation plant, getting the quality systems off the ground from scratch. Interesting times, but hard goddamn work. Needed a very quick education on the differences between egg pasteurisation and the dairy industry I knew beforehand. (essentially the differences in handling low and slow heating over fast and quick in dairy - you do NOT want to cook the eggs in long lengths of pipework and have to try and clean it out)

Among other things, it was surprising how much better a product battery eggs are compared to free range - purely from a quality and food safety point of view - if people are intending to eat raw egg, battery eggs will be safer than free range (the eggs are removed quicker so less likely to be contaminated by contact with the ground/soiling than free range)

Professional integrity prevents me from pointing out any bad habits and warts seen in the industry (as most food industries have at some point), but overall the UK eggs we dealt with were good

So if I wanted to eat free range eggs, not battery eggs, the contamination exists on the outside of the egg I assume, the inside is just as safe as one another (UK) - and I could manually bring them to the same standard with a wash?

I would say that thinking is logical, but be very mindful of what the egg touched before you wash it as cross contact contamination is a concern. Also, once the egg is washed it should be used at once or refrigerated if not used right away as the protective membrane would be compromised after washing as per articles previously posted (the US method is to wash and clean, then chill).

Also, be mindful of cracks or imperfections in the egg as well. If any are present you would want to discard. In the US, most checkers at the grocers will open your carton before they bag them to make sure none are cracked. Ironic enough, the most common cause of eggs being cracked is not from miss handling but from the eggs being accidentally frozen by open-air cases running too cold!

Yeah, my son’s and my disability means we have terrible immune systems, so I am paranoid about food hygiene - no matter what egg I have, I assume there is a strain if salmonella on the shell that is as infectious as hepatitis, and I always throw out cracked eggs!

To be honest, if everyone was as diligent about handling food properly in the home, in the US, a very significant number of food bourne illness events would not happen. I am too sleepy to look up the statistic. It is very strange we assume all food is safe when in fact it never really has, we have just created processes to make it safer.

With that being said, I still have to remind customers you should not put cooked meat on the same plate that the raw meat was on! :roll_eyes:

Holy… wow! I get annoyed when my grocery delivery doesn’t separate the raw meat into it’s own bag!

Tip of the iceberg, the tip of the iceberg… I could write a book but I come here to escape that so I will not expound here.

I am so sorry for this, but the only thing I could think of was @SleepyWill sitting in a chair while going through a car-wash with a basket of eggs, coming out the other side squeaky clean with a dozen polished eggs ready for a fry-up or milkshakes or quiche or anything.

I really coldn’t help myself, I am so very sorry for even mentioning it, but if I didn’t let that out of my imagination, the image would haunt me forever. I will go back to my hole for now.

You could, but it would probably be unnecessary.

The composition of an egg actually naturally protects it against micro issues very well. In the UK where eggs aren’t washed before sale the outer surface still has a protective layer which prevents a lot of contamination getting through the shell.
Inside the shell, there’s still another membrane before you reach the albumen (white) which naturally contains antibacterial proteins, which surround the yolk. The yolk’s the most susceptible to micro issues as it contains all the nutrients for the growing chick embryo, but is so buried within layer after layer of protection that fresh eggs should be no problem at all, whether battery, barn or free range.

The lion mark standards that were brought in in the UK to tackle salmonella issues, as well as improving standards required by food safety legislation and increasing customer demands from major supermarket customers have driven good health and quality standards of eggs and
egg products.

The best precaution you could take is probably just to use the freshest eggs you can. Although it’s not necessary in the UK, refrigeration will help slow micro growth