Home Videos Games Podcastle

Making an egg for my good self

I have an egg-related question: Are raw eggs safe in the UK and/or USA? I ask because as a kid eating a raw egg was just something we wouldn’t remotely consider doing, but these days I see eggs thrown in blenders on the idiot box every now and again.

It seems that people use raw egg all the time in Japan, and not just in smoothies, and I haven’t noticed any specific labelling on the supermarket-bought eggs - the default assumption seems to be that salmonella isn’t a thing over here (see also: raw chicken, but that seems to be specific to certain restaurants).

So, have things changed, or are raw eggs still risky over there (wherever there may be)?

This is opinion, I can’t in good consciousness be confident enough with it - I don’t eat raw egg myself, so take it with a pinch of salt!!! Mmm poached eggs with a pinch of salt… Yum. I might have that for lunch today. On toast. With Marmite… no that’s double salt. Just the marmite then.

It’s my understanding that in the US, the way they process eggs removes some of the protection from the outer layers of the shell, which means that in the US, raw eggs are not safe at all - also the reason that they must be kept in the fridge.

In other countries including the UK, eggs are not cleaned this way - what that means is that while the inside may be safe, or at least very low risk, the actual shell is what carries a salmonella (and other nasties) risk. This is why you can keep eggs outside of the fridge, and in fact is preferable to do this to stop them tasting stale as they get towards the end of their life, but have to be more careful about shards of shell ending up in the egg when you crack it.

Lets make a sandwich out of my disclaimers, I may be wrong!! Yum, Egg and cress sandwiches. It’s too hot for them, but if it wasn’t hot, I could really go for one. This disclaimer’s gone the way of the top one.

Here in Australia eggs are mostly fine. But only mostly, so raw egg is probably best avoided even so.

I was going to post this last night, but I wanted to provide some proof to my words. In the US, we do not vaccinate chickens for Salmonella… They do so in Europe. Here is some reading!

https://www.poultryworld.net/Special-Focus/Salmonella-special/The-Salmonella-puzzle--what-can-we-learn-from-Europe/

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/01/poultry-vaccinations-credited-for-uks-big-drop-in-salmonella/

Ah, another possible “benefit” of Brexit :expressionless:

For some reason, I thought that the UK chicken flocks were vaccinated as well… It is early here and I am suffering a bit of what I like to term as “sleepy brain syndrome”…

Oh, here we go! They do vaccinate I believe! Note: Have not read articles…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/115276.stm

Ah, skimming the article, it looks like it’s not just because we’re in the EU. So that’s a relief.

Scrambled:

Slow.

Add some kind of warm or room-temperature fat (preferably butter, or schmaltz if you really want to make a statement to chickens as to who’s in charge) to some eggs in a bowl. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per egg, depending on your heart health. Also add a 1/8 teaspoon of water for each egg. Mix that up, a lot.

Lightly grease a pan, put the heat on medium-low. Possibly lower depending on your stove-top’s individual proclivities. Pre-heat the pan on that setting, pour it in, and molest it with a spatula almost constantly for what seems like frikkin forever.

What happens is, as the egg congeals and cooks, the heat evaporates water. It’s both condensing the egg, making it richer, and expands and makes teeny bubbles that make it fluffier (since you already whooped the eggs into submission, there’s water and air integrated into the thing).

Eventually it will be done.

(Often I kill it for good with Tabasco, Sriracha, or Indian hot lime relish at this point, but I do not recommend that for anyone else.)

So our parents were right to be worried about salmonella, but people in the EU could probably eat raw egg without much concern for safety now, but still don’t. I’m guessing Japan has had vaccinations and/or different practices for longer.

As far as raw eggs in the US, yeah, it’s gotten better, and you can get “pasteurized” eggs that are perfectly safe and tasty (or “irradiated” eggs, but that’s kind of a trigger word). I’ve never had a problem, and have never known anyone who had a problem with runny, cooked eggs, and I’ve had raw eggs here since I was a kid (a vital ingredient to a real milkshake).

As far as fats go, ghee is lovely and can get hotter than flat-out butter, while still having a great flavor. At the lower temp for eggs, you never have to worry about burning the butter. That being said, sometimes burning the butter just a little is lovely, beurre noir goes with eggs perfectly (I think it was a precursor to Hollandaise).

The other “newer” fats, like avocado, grape seed, etc. should only be used if you want a high temperature smoke point, which is too high for eggs (you want to be gentle), or to get a particular flavor, which honestly the grassy-flavored avocado oil is great for. Just remember not to abuse the higher smoke-point for something as delicate as an egg.

I like safflower for the neutral flavor. Also, it is right next to the stove…

:facepalm: Of course, it is right next to the stove! Jeeze, I don’t know how I missed that.

Also, how did you know that was right next to my stove?!? Have you been sneaking around my house?!?!!?
Are you here right now!!!??? :scream:

Because that would be awesome if you were, we could play Legend of Drizzt or Catacombs and make some frittata or quiche. Or call out for a pizza, it can’t all be about eggs.

Wait a minute… pizza with a runny fried egg right on top…

I will one-up you Will… Breakfast pizza!

But the question is, American Breakfast or go for the Full English?

Wait… what’s an American breakfast? I’ve always thought it involves pancakes and syrup…

Well… the pancakes are on the side usually… But it greatly varies by region… It is like the difference between a Full English and Full Scottish.

I would imagine an American Breakfast pizza around here would include: Sausage, Bacon, Ham, Eggs, and shredded potato (hashbrown)…

When scrambling eggs, try chiffonading some fresh tarragon to add fairly early.

It’s amazing.

WHAT? How?

Come on, really, eggs in milkshake?

I want to know more!

If you think about it, icecream is considered essential to milkshakes (Remember that Jamie Oliver thing he did with schools in America with mothers crying that he removed it from their childrens milkshakes), and one way of making icecream is a frozen custard.

Oh, yeah. It’s really enriches the flavor and helps emulsification, making it super smooth and creamy. My younger sister, younger brother, and I had about one of these, homemade, a week when I was a kid.

Just drop scoops of ice-cream until a regular, ordinary blender is full (don’t pack it), and an egg, fill it the rest of the way (about an inch from the top) with milk (I prefer whole organic milk, the best, fattiest, you can get, Horizon here in the US, with all kinds of Omega whatever and vitamins and stuff), a scant pinch of salt and a drop of vanilla extract (or another extract, but no matter what flavor of ice cream you use or other extract, the drop of vanilla helps).

Blend it, a lot, sometimes pulsing to get the floaty bits of ice cream incorporated into the slurry.

Also if the ice cream doesn’t already have bits in it (would not recommend that kind to start with, but you be you!) you can smash up already frozen ingredients ingredients like chocolate or toffee bars or fruits that stay good when frozen, just whack them in a heavy zipper bag until they’re in manageable pieces, and throw those in.

Mixing stuff like that in is called a “concrete,” crumbling chocolatey stuff on top is more properly called a “landslide.”