Home Videos Games Podcastle

Let's Play Leaving Earth

The Heavy Falcon launch made me want to go to space. That, and during lunch coworkers have been discussing how low the chance of death would have to be for them to agree to go to the Moon. So I’ve setup Leaving Earth with all the expansions with a Very Hard set of missions. Let’s see how much we can accomplish in 31 years.

(I don’t think many people have played Leaving Earth, since it’s only sold through the manufacturer’s website, unlike most retail games. I’m going to try to explain what I’m thinking so people can get a feel for what it’s like to play the game. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.)

Arguably the best part of Leaving Earth is the board. Missions at the bottom. Sorry about the glare.
P1020422_

The missions at the start of the game are clustered, which is handy. Surveying all of the Jupiter system will net us 17 points from 4 objectives. We’ll also want to do a Grand Tour of the outer planets which, together with the Neptune Survey, will give us 20 points. What intimidates me is the 32-point Man on Venus mission; I haven’t had much experience with manned missions.

Furthermore, the Outer Planets expansion has explorable missions: when a Jupiter or Saturn location is surveyed, a new mission is revealed there. So our first objective will be to survey those bodies so we can plan ahead. As long as we launch the Grand Tour by 1972, we should be good. A manned mission to Venus can take 4 years, so we could push it as late as 1982; the hard part is saving enough funding to fly the mission.

1956: We’ll start by opening the Soyuz Rocket program. There are two good ways to lift spacecraft into Earth Orbit: Soyuz and Saturn. A 2-stage Saturn rocket can lift 20 mass into Earth Orbit for $30. A 2-stage Soyuz rocket can lift 7 mass into Earth Orbit for $16. In a pinch, a 1-stage Soyuz can lift 1 mass into orbit. (If you want to plan space missions, I hope you like arithmetic.) For any really big missions later, we’ll probably want Saturn rockets, but to survey Jupiter and Saturn as fast as possible, we’ll use Soyuz to get up and running.

Every year, our space program has a budget of $25. With the remaining budget, I open the Ion Thruster program and buy 2 probes and let the remaining $1 go to waste. I’ll try not bore you with bookkeeping; this was just a comment on how to work around the use-it-or-lose-it way funding works in this game, by buying things you might not need right now but can stash in a warehouse until you need them later.

1957: Okay, one more bookkeeping comment: Soyuz rockets are annoyingly priced at $8. Buying 2 in a turn leaves $9 to spend, which is an awkward amount since many things are priced $5 or $10. I especially want $10 to cover testing. Buying 1 or 3 Soyuz is fine though. We spend our entire turn buying 3 Soyuz and wasting the leftover $1.

1958: Time to start testing. We strap a probe on the tip of a Soyuz and… Minor Failure! Exclamation point because this is, ironically, the best possible result. See, when we open a program, it comes with 3 outcome cards (exception: Surveying). Every time we use the program – in this case, by firing the Soyuz rocket – we draw an outcome card. What we don’t want to happen is draw a Major Failure on a rocket on a big manned mission, killing astronauts and blowing up many years’ worth of budget. Whatever outcome occurs, we can pay money to analyze the data and improve the design (read: remove the card). If all cards are removed, the project works flawlessly from then on (this design is a game first, simulation second). A Minor Failure allows us to buy off a card for a cheap $5. Even better, the damaged rocket stays on Earth, where engineers will repair it for use next year.

The next Soyuz successfully launches. That Soyuz rocket is consumed and will have to be replaced. But we put a probe in space. Space!

The one place that hasn’t been corrupted by capitalism: space!
P1020423_

Of course, the Russians had put Sputnik in orbit last year.

The harder question is whether to pay the $10 to buy off this outcome card. You may ask why buy off successful outcome. We are choosing between two scenarios:

(a) We buy off the card, leaving one left on the program. The next time we fire a Soyuz, we either buy it off the last card if it’s a failure or leave it if it’s a success. Either way, Soyuz rockets work perfectly from now on.

(b) We leave the card, saving the $10, but leaving two cards on the program. The next time we fire a Soyuz, we shuffle the outcomes and draw one. Say we draw a success. Maybe both cards are successes, in which case we save $10. But maybe we drew the same success again, and there’s a major failure lurking in that stack, waiting for our next big launch before blowing up. As long as there are at least 2 cards in the stack, we can’t be sure the component will work when we need it.

I pay the $10. We will be using Soyuz for a while, and I don’t want them blowing up on the launchpad. With our last $10, I buy an ion thruster for next year.

Big fan of LE here - also “that guy” who’s been organising the UK bulk order for the last few years to get the price down to something reasonable. I believe the game is in a small number of shops in the USA (at least one NASA visitor centre), but mostly talking directly to Lumenaris is the way to go.

Two-stage rockets. Right. That’s gonna make those Man-to-Mars-and-back missions way cheaper.

1959: We test a Soyuz rocket (another Minor Failure!) and remove the final card. Then I literally spent my lunch hour staring a picture of this part of the board and drawing this diagram, trying to figure out when we need to leave Earth in order to reach Jupiter and Saturn.

The figure is how many years it would take to travel along the various paths to reach Saturn. And it turns out I missed a critical path. Gosh I need more sleep.
P1020424_

To summarize:

1. We can get a probe to Saturn by 1965 with a single ion thruster if it leaves right now, doing a gravitational slingshot around Venus and Jupiter. … As long as nothing bad happens along the way, like the thruster failing or too much radiation around Jupiter. Frankly, it’s a coin flip.
  2. We can leave in 1960 and still get there by 1965 if we use two thrusters to make the push to the Inner Planets Transfer.
  3. If we instead leave during 1961-64, we won’t reach Saturn until 1969. That’s four less years to figure out if and how we’ll do the Saturn missions. But it avoids potential radiation around Jupiter by using the Outer Planets Transfer.
  4. The fallback is a spacecraft leaving during 1965-66 can reach Saturn by 1971, again using Venus and Jupiter.

The downside to option 1 is that it’s an inefficient use of money for a not good chance of reaching Saturn. We’d need to buy a third Soyuz and spend two of them just to lift the one ion thruster and probe. And, in order to give the mission the best chance at succeeding, we’ll want to test ion thrusters while the mission is en route, meaning buying more ion thrusters and more Soyuz to lift them into space.

After sketching out all these options, I decide to not try option 1. Instead, we end the year building two more ion thrusters.

By this year, the Russians had sent a lunar probe. Meanwhile, I’m running numbers through our actuaries.

1960: We buy a 4th ion thruster. With our repaired Soyuz, we lift all 4 ion thrusters and our remaining probe into space. If at most one of these untested thrusters breaks, we can still reach the Inner Planets Transfer in time.

• The first thruster fires. We don’t buy the card off. Keep that Success outcome in the deck!
  • The second thruster fires. We don’t buy it off either.
  • The third thruster fires. I consider buying this off, but there’s something else I want to spend the money on.
  • The fourth thruster also fires. Again, kept in the deck.

I calculate an 84.4% probability that the ion thrusters outcome deck contains 3 Successes, 15.3% that it contains 2 Successes and 1 Failure, and 0.3% that it contains 1 Success and 2 Failures. Can you tell I do maths?

As for what I wanted to save the money for, we open the Rendezvous project and buy a couple probes. The Rendezvous project will allow us to dock and undock spacecraft.

1961: Somewhere between Earth and Venus, we begin practicing docking and undocking spacecraft. (It is a bit gamey that all spacecraft retroactively gain the benefits of R&D after they were constructed, but it saves bookkeeping.) Furthermore, the rules for Rendezvous testing are open to exploitation. While there is a new rule, it only affects multiplayer games. Bottom line is we pay $5 and damage an ion thruster to remove the single failure in the deck, and now our Rendezvous technology is also perfected.

Two functional thrusters and the damaged one split off and head back to Earth. They deliberately take a longer route, 2 years instead of 1, so that if either breaks, they will still make it back to Earth rather than end up lost in the solar system. Both fire. I’m now 92.5% sure that we have 3 Success ion thruster outcomes.

Finally, the Saturn mission (which I’m going to retroactively name Janus, who is associated with Saturn and is the god of beginnings) pushes toward Venus. Its thrusters also fire. Probability updated to 94.9%.

We don’t buy off any of these Successes. Instead, we use the money to open the Surveying project, a Soyuz, and a probe.

By this time, Russians had put a cosmonaut in orbit. But our unmanned missions are coming along.

1962: As Janus slingshots past Venus, we try out our new Surveying technology. We discover beneath Venus’ thick clouds… that it contains extensive wetland life! See, Leaving Earth starts in 1956, when we knew little about our solar system, and the game contains speculative theories about what we might find out there. However, the Moon being made of cheese is not one of them.

What this discovery means for the game is (1) our Surveying technology works; (2) we completed the Survey Venus mission, huzzah points; and (3) this may make it easier to do that Man on Venus mission, since we can replenish supplies there if needed.

Incidentally, NASA also surveyed Venus in 1962. I guess our unmanned missions are just keeping pace.

With Venus in its rearview mirror, Janus fires its thrusters toward Jupiter. Probability 96.5%. As I look forward to what we need to purchase for our next big mission, I don’t think it will ever be worth it to buy off these Successes. To be continued after I figure that out.

1962 (cont.): Yep, I broke out more scratch paper and a spreadsheet. I swear I don’t have this much AP while playing multiplayer games. But when I have the time to sit and optimize, I get carried away. I think a Galileo probe and 2 ion thrusters will come in handy in a wide variety of futures.

1963: As Janus nears Jupiter, we point its instruments at Europa. I want to know if I should include an Explorer capsule in the next mission. Europa has liquid oceans under miles of ice, and the mission we receive is to land a working probe or capsule there.

However, as Janus slingshots toward Saturn, its probe stops working. Radiation around Jupiter is extremely high. Flip, our good luck finally gave out. We will need a radically different strategy for doing Jupiter missions because using ion thrusters to move around Jupiter will take many years, and any probes and capsules are unlikely to survive that long. At least because of the radiation, we get points for simply getting a working probe or capsule into Jupiter’s orbit.

More bad news is that we need to send another Saturn probe now that Janus’s is busted. (Insert that hourglass icon indicating the computer is working.) Okay, here’s the plan:

1. We buy another Soyuz.
  2. We lift into Earth orbit the 2 ion thrusters, 1 Galileo probe, and 3 normal probes we had stashed in the warehouse. Told you Soyuz was a workhorse.
  3. They rendezvous with the 2 ion thrusters returning from Janus (see 1961).
  4. Hera 1 (yes, I’m mixing Greek and Latin; Juno is already a rocket name) is composed of 3 probes and 2 ion thrusters. It will arrive at Jupiter in 1967 by way of Venus, at which point all the probes will take as many measurements as they can before they can get fried.
  5. Janus 2 is composed of 1 Galileo probe and 2 ion thrusters. It will arrive at Saturn in 1969 by way of the Outer Planets Transfer.

Meanwhile, I need to figure out what we should be spending money on while these spacecraft make there way toward their destinations. I think it’s time to think about Venus.

((Really enjoying this, thanks! - I know how much effort you’re putting in!))

Glad people are enjoying it. Hope people are getting a sense of the decisions involved in the game. And it’s still a game. Even though it can take years of investment and/or waiting to complete some missions, components can be repurposed on the fly, meaning players can change direction to react to new information.

1963 (cont.): There are 5 things we need to think about to get to Venus and back:

1. Re-entry: We will need the Re-entry advancement to land on Venus and return to Earth.
  2. Transit: We will need some way to get from Earth Orbit to Venus Orbit and back. The two best candidates look like Atlas rockets and our old friend, ion thrusters. Though we would need lots of ion thrusters.
  3. Life Support: We will need the Life Support advancement to keep astronaut(s) alive for the ~4 year trip.
  4. Venus to orbit: We will need a way to get from Venus back into orbit. I don’t think it’s worth researching Proton rockets just for this, so we will position a Soyuz on Venus.
  5. Earth to orbit: We will need to lift all this stuff off Earth. Saturn rockets are more efficient, but it would cost so much to research them.

I think the thing that will take the longest time here is getting a massive Soyuz rocket to Venus, so that’s what we’ll start on while we’re waiting for Hera and Janus 2. We buy another 2 Soyuz.

1964: We buy another 3 Soyuz. Yes, chemical rockets are freakin’ expensive. Expect to spend half the mission cost on high-thrust rockets just to reach Earth orbit. And we’re delivering this Soyuz so we can get back into Venus orbit. Where’s a space elevator when you need one?

1965: Janus 1 arrives at Saturn. While we could get it to return to Earth orbit in 4 years, and we could use the ion thruster to help ferry stuff around, I instead direct it to ease itself into Saturn’s orbit as we can still learn about hazards around Saturn that way. And it turns out that stray bits of Saturn’s rings have a chance of damaging components. The explorable mission for Saturn is to collect a sample of its rings and analyze it. If it survives several years flying through debris, maybe Janus 2 can do this mission?

As Hera passes by, it surveys Ceres, revealing plentiful water ice. Maybe we could use this as a pit stop or staging post for manned outer planet missions?

The way we’re going to lift this Soyuz into orbit leaves 5 mass left in the payload. I think we should use this launch to start working on the Life Support technology too. So we open the Re-Entry program (yes, Re-Entry instead of Life Support), buy a couple Vostok capsules, and an ion thruster.

By 1965, NASA had surveyed Mars. Well, we don’t get any points from surveying Mars.

1966: I consider splitting off some ion thrusters from Hera and Janus 2, now that the hard part of escaping Earth’s gravity well is done. But Janus 2 needs the thrust to enter Saturn’s orbit in a timely manner, and we can use the insurance to guard against debris damage.

As for Hera, I just remembered that we’re tasked to do a Grand Tour of the solar system. Because the outer planets align infrequently, there are only two ways of reaching Neptune: be at the Outer Planets Transfer in 1967 or be at Jupiter in 1972. We could have done the former, but I forgot. So now our only chance to reach Neptune will be to get some probes through Jupiter’s radiation, through Saturn’s debris, and then onward toward Uranus. And that sounds like a job for Hera. With her 3 probes, that’s an 7-in-8 chance that at least one will survive to reach Neptune. Hera will need both thrusters for this.

We buy a couple more ion thrusters. By strapping 2 Soyuz together as a first stage, then 2 more Soyuz together as a second stage, we lift a Soyuz, 3 ion thrusters, and the Vostok capsule into Earth Orbit. The ion thrusters begin the 6-year process of pushing the Soyuz to Venus. Did I mention chemical rockets are heavy? With our remaining $5, we might as well hire an astronaut. I think a doctor will help the most as, as opposed to pilots and mechanics, it’s the one thing we can’t R&D away, so we start training Mike Collins.

As Janus 1 settles into Saturn orbit, it gets hit by something, and the thruster stops functioning. I had been planning for it to rendezvous with Janus 2 in 1968 and give it some extra thrust, but no luck.

By 1966, the USSR had a lunar lander.

1967: Hera passes by the Jupiter system and starts recording even as its ion thrusters take it back to the Outer Planets Transfer. Callisto and Io have valuable minerals we’d like to study up close, and Ganymede has liquid oceans under miles of rock and ice. Too bad Jupiter’s radiation makes missions there very dicey.

So many points that are so very hard to get to…
P1020425_

1967 (cont.): I’ve thrown a lot of spare brain cycles into this game. There have been a lot of decisions to mull over. First was how to enter Jupiter’s orbit. That 10 difficulty maneuver to go from Jupiter fly-by to Jupiter orbit is, well, difficult. Ion thrusters won’t work because it would take at least 3 years, and it’s unlikely enough probes would survive 3 years’ of exposure to Jupiter’s radiation. Our only option is to research Aerobraking. A single Soyuz plus aerobraking would allow us to deliver up to 17 mass, and each probe would only have to test against the Jupiter radiation once. Of course, getting that much mass to Jupiter is another problem…

Let’s say we are able to deliver up to 17 mass into Jupiter orbit. What should go into that 17 mass? 17 mass sounds like a lot, but given that half the probes will be fried entering Jupiter orbit, and a lot of that mass will need to be Juno rockets, the mass budget is actually pretty tight. And how to best accomplish the Jupiter missions?

• Io: We’ll put a Galileo probe in the mission and survey Io from Jupiter fly-by before radiation gets a chance to damage the probe.
  • Callisto: A single working probe plus an ion thruster will complete the Callisto lander mission in 2 years, simple.
  • Europa: Landing on Europa requires passing another round of Jupiter radiation, but at least the maneuver difficulty is 2. We can fire 1 Juno + 1 probe bundles at Europa until one probe survives.
  • Ganymede: Ganymede’s gravity is too strong to accomplish this by ion thrusters alone. We will need to transport at least 3 Juno rockets and 1 probe into Ganymede orbit (and really we need more probes since some will break due to Jupiter’s radiation). Frankly, I can’t think of a way to get from entering Jupiter’s orbit to getting the sample analyzed in less than 6-7 years, and that’s only if we get a scientist to meet the sample in Jupiter fly-by.

For this reason, I don’t think we’ll be to do both Venus and Ganymede. I realize it sounds defeatist saying this when we’re only a third of the way into the game, but these missions take a lot of time to save up the money and then run. I think we should to do Venus first then Jupiter sans Ganymede because doing Jupiter first would occupy too many ion thrusters for too long. I talked about the Venus mission in the last post. Since then, I’ve decided a couple things:

• We’ll use ion thrusters instead of Atlas rockets. The main reason is that, since we can reuse ion thrusters for the Jupiter mission, it’s the more cost-effective option.
  • I wish the ferry pushing the Soyuz toward Venus was also carrying the Vostok module. I kept the Vostok in Earth orbit because I thought we might use it to test re-entry if we needed to. Then we could recover it and launch it again. Now we need to push it to Venus, which will cost us time and/or money.

Then I made a plan. Then I had to go go through the plan again because I misread a card: I thought we could get from Outer Planets Transfer to Mars Fly-by, but it’s actually to Mars Orbit. So there’s no way for Hera to make the Grand Tour. Here is the new plan:

• Hera will head back to Earth, arriving in 1972.
  • Argos 1, which is currently ferrying the Soyuz to Venus, will arrive at Venus on 1972.
  • 1969: We launch Voyager 1, consisting of 1 ion thruster and 3 probes (we also lift 3 supplies at the same time). It docks with a probe already sitting in orbit. It will arrive at Venus in 1974, through Jupiter’s radiation in 1975, Saturn in 1977, Uranus in 1982, and Neptune in 1986. With 4 probes, we only have a ~6% chance of failure.
  • 1972: We launch 3 ion thrusters, an Aldrin capsule, and 1 supply. It rendezvous with the returning Hera spacecraft and the Vostok we’ve been using for Life Support testing. Argos 2 (5 ion thrusters, the Aldrin capsule, the Vostok capsule, 3 probes, and 3 supplies) will then head for Inner Planets Transfer.
  • 1974: There it meets up with the ion thrusters from Argos 1. Together, they enter Venus fly-by. Meanwhile, back on Earth we launch probes to test Re-Entry because we should do that before attempting to land on Venus.
  • 1975: Argos 2 uses the probes to test Aerobraking before using it themselves to enter Venus orbit. One astronaut uses the Vostok to land on Venus, do some science, and collect 2 supplies. They then use the Soyuz to lift the Vostok and 2 supplies into Venus orbit, just enough supplies to get everyone home.
  • 1977: Argos 2 arrives back in Earth orbit.

I say the above knowing that, in 2-5 years, we’ll survey the Saturn system and plans will probably change again. We would have more flexibility if the Vostok had just gone with the Soyuz. Because the capsule carrying the astronauts needs to travel pretty fast, moving the Vostok along with it means we’ll need more ion thrusters to move the lot.

I also note that we don’t have to research Aerobraking in 1975. If we swap that supply in 1972 for an ion thruster, Argos 2 can arrive in Venus orbit in 1975 without resorting to aerobraking.

Enough deliberation. We open the Life Support advancement and hire another medical astronaut, Gherman Titov.

The annoying thing about researching Life Support is that it only happens at the end of the year, so we have to leave $10 if we want to buy off a Success. If it’s a Failure and we only spend $5, the leftover $5 is wasted thanks to how budgeting works. Anyway, this year was a Success.

1968: Buy an ion thruster and another astronaut, this time a scientist (Sally Ride) in case we need to analyze samples. Turns move a lot faster once all the planning is done. And another year of successful Life Support testing.

1969: Janus 2 arrives in Saturn fly-by. It surveys Titan while slowing itself into Saturn’s orbit. It discovers that Titan has methane-based life unlike anything seen on Earth! Scientists really want a sample. However, our plans remain the same for now. First, we need to launch Voyager 1 inside its window. Second, we should see what explorable mission we get for Enceladus.

We purchase 3 probes and 3 supplies and 2 Soyuz to launch them into space, along with the ion thruster from last year. While the supplies sit in Earth orbit, Voyager 1 starts its long journey to Neptune and then out of the solar system.

There is a lot of hurry up and wait in this game
P1020426_

I didn’t leave enough money to buy-off Life Support testing this year since we get to peek at the last card at the end of the year. If it’s a Success, we’re done testing. If it’s a Failure, we can earmark $5 in a future year to take care of it. It’s a Major Failure, which would have killed everyone on board if there had been any astronauts.

Finally, one of the ion thrusters on Janus 2 is taken offline by debris.

1970: We build 2 ion thrusters and diagnose what caused the catastrophic Life Support failure.

Dang it, debris also knocks out Janus 2’s last thruster. Now it can’t bring samples of Saturn’s rings back for study.

1971: I decide we can research Aerobraking at a later date. Delaying this gives us about $25 more budgetary wiggle room up to 1975. So we build another 2 ion thrusters and hire a third medical astronaut, Valentina Tereshkova.

1972: Janus 2 settles into Saturn’s orbit, and its instruments have survived long enough to take samples of the rings and survey Enceladus, discovering liquid water oceans under a thin ice crust. Our third Saturn mission is also to return a sample for study. You know, there are more points and less radiation around Saturn than Jupiter. It’s time to think about Saturn missions.

Someone ordered the sampler platter
P1020428_

So we could totally do the following:

• 1975: Using 8 Soyuz, lift an Aldrin capsule, 2 ion thrusters, 11 Juno rockets, and 9 years’ worth of supplies. We can repurpose 5 ion thrusters and 2 probes from Hera and Argos 1.
  • 1981: Arrive in Outer Planets Transfer.
  • 1984: Arrive in Saturn fly-by. Using 4 Junos, aerobrake into Saturn orbit. One probe can soak debris damage.
  • Rendezvous with Janus 2. How can we be sure that Janus 2 is still operational in 12 years? Because Saturn’s hazard says damage a component, and samples are considered components, so I’m imagining Janus 2’s Galileo probe collecting rocks and building a protective shell around itself.
  • While scientists study Saturn’s rings up close, use 2 Juno to aerobrake the Galileo probe, 1 normal probe, and 2 Juno into Titan’s orbit.
  • Leaving 1 Juno in orbit, the rest lands on Titan. The probe is brought along to soak damage.
  • The Galileo probe collects sample’s of Titan’s lifeforms and shoots it into orbit with the Juno.
  • The Juno left in Titan orbit collects the sample and shoots it to the Aldrin module in Saturn orbit to be studied.
  • Finally, the Aldrin capsule uses 3 Juno to land on Enceladus.

But we won’t do that, even if it would advance the boundaries of science and net us 60+ points because it would strand astronauts on Enceladus, where they will study their precious samples until the day they starve or freeze to death over a billion km from everyone they know. So there is a way to get enough points to “win,” we’ll just be asking cardboard astronauts to make the ultimate sacrifice.

My copy just shipped :smiley: Absurdly excited for this one!

Woo!

It’s only been a 7 month wait!

Whenever a new product comes out I do a bulk order to the uk (coordinated via BGG) to cut down on the shipping cost. Alas, that hasn’t been recent enough to help in this case.

I get the feeling I was waiting for enough orders for the chap to make a bulk order of his own - no problem, I’m not impatient when the game is worth the wait! Do let me know the next time though, I’m getting all the expansions, but I would be in for any more as they come out.

Let’s Play Leaving Earth Multiplayer

It is December of 1955.

Through hard work and dedication to science, engineering or maybe even politics you have been awarded one of your country’s most prestigious jobs in the space agency.

Perhaps you are motivated by the cold war, and wish to win a stinging victory for your side, perhaps it is scientific excellence and the benefits that could bring to humanity. Perhaps you just think rockets are cool.

Whatever motivates you, you start work in the new year and your job is to complete more missions and more difficult missions than the other agencies. It is unclear yet just how many agencies around the world will be competing against you…

My copy has arrived!

Would any of you lovely people be interested in learning the game with me? The first game will be nice and simple - easy missions, no expansion content, just to get us all into the swing of it, then we can go at it with a proper game! I will play in the first game, because the idea is for me to learn how to play as well, but in the proper game, I will be happy to sit back and GM if required.

I’d love to join in. (And I’m happy to provide advice if wanted.)

I feel Leaving Earth is a game that could benefit from online multiplayer so players aren’t sitting there waiting for others do calculations. I’ll have to settle for spectating, though, as I’m crunched for time at the mo.

Sign me up!

Absolutely! The more advise the better! Tell us, which space agency will you represent?

For others, the list is:

Nasa - USA - Blue
宇宙科学研究所 (ISAS) - Japan - White
第二砲兵公司 (SAC) - China - Yellow

Your competition will be:

OKБ-1 (OKB-1) - Soviet Union - Red - Headed up by @RogerBW
CNES - France - Grey - Headed up by @RossM

Is there a mechanical difference?