Home Videos Games Podcastle

Let’s build some Pendragon characters! (And send them on adventures.)

d20: 11 vs Hunting 6

1 Like

Any remains of the trail have been lost, the ground is simply too sludgy at this point.

1 Like

Dylan’s initial excitement of the hunt has passed and now comes the part that he hates - hours and hours tracking the quarry. Sir Joel has tried to impress Dylan with a love of the hunt, but it has not taken and Dylan grows easily bored with the monotony. Another instance where perhaps he should have paid more attention. Searching for game is one thing, but Dylan had not considered searching for a lost person or a lost horse. Dylan adds to his mental list of areas he needs to focus more of his training on.
Dylan calls a halt to the column of commoners.
“Ok men. Take a quick water break. Here’s the plan. We’re going to spread out and find the lady’s trail.”
Dylan marks their current position by scouring some marks on a notable tree, then spreads the men out in a long line, 5 yards in between each, starting from the last known track of the crutch. They will then sweep forward slowly until they refind the lady’s trail, marking the direction of progress as they go, so they will be able to return to this spot and start in a new direction if they need to.

2 Likes

Hunting roll please with a +5 bonus.

1 Like

d20: 9 vs Hunting 11

2 Likes

Hour 3.

A shout from the far flank.

A hoof print!

1 Like

Dylan again marks a pattern on to a nearby tree and orders the commoners to spread out from the print in a widening spiral pattern to locate more hoof prints and establish a direction of travel for the horse.

2 Likes

Awareness roll please!

1 Like

d20: 15 vs Awareness 12

1 Like

Rolling something d20: 14

1 Like

As you search for footprints the threatening sky opens and rain soaks the ground in large drops.

From across the woods Feld shouts.

“Dylan another one! Look!”

He stands under a tree sheltering the print with his cloak.

1 Like

I look to see what he’s pointing at.

1 Like

Dylan hurries over to Feld.

1 Like

“Damn this rain, Feld”.
We wait to see if it’s a quick shower or if the rain is going to set in.

1 Like

The rain is becoming torrential, Feld shouts over the crescendo

“It’s only two prints, but we could get a bearing!”

1 Like

We use the two prints to get a bearing - then we’re going to press on with the same spread out line formation with the commoners 5 yards apart moving in that general direction.

1 Like

(Just fishing, but, as someone who has worked with horses his whole life, does Dylan have any insight as to what a horse might do in a torrential rain? Is it likely to take shelter? Would it be likely to look for a clearing, or a very large tree to hide under? Just seeing if Dylan’s experience would give him any help in this search)

1 Like

Map

image

Route of travel and two hoof prints.

2 Likes

(Not knowing horses myself - but I’m assuming the open end of the horseshoe is forwards?)

1 Like

This horse seems likely to continue to panic.

Red line is your search party btw.

1 Like