Home Videos Games Podcastle

Let’s build a Pendragon character! (And send him on an adventure!)

Each knight gets to roll for their Family Characteristic. All the knights of your dynasty are ‘Good with horses’; this gives them +5 to their Horsemanship skill, which you’ll see later when you get to assigning skill points.

My dynasty ‘Never forget a face’, and my knights all have a bonus to their Recognise skill.

I think Ross’ dynasty are ‘Remarkably deductive’, and have bonuses to Intrigue (although I could be wrong!)

Nope that’s correct. My lot are all a bit sly.

The good thing with the bonus from Family Characteristics is that it lets you break the usual cap of 15 points in a starting skill. Again, you’ll get to that, but you can potentially start with a Horsemanship of 20, which is amazing.

…certainly the best of any character we have seen before.

Skills

Skills are divided into two broad catagories: Ordinary Skills and Combat Skills .
Ordinary skills cover a range of different practical proficiencies and areas of knowledge. Combat skills are the crucial military skills that are the traditional areas of expertise for a knight.

Certain skills are noted as being knightly . These are skills that are required for knighthood. Other people may have these skills, though some (like sword) are supposed to be restricted to knights.

Some skills are marked as being knowledge . These skills are the bodies of information required for the social classes of court, religious or social settings.

Some skills are marked as being non knightly . These are skills that are forbidden. Performing any of these will cost a knight some honour, and likely have other consequences as well.

Ordinary Skill List

Awareness (Knightly) : This covers how well you notice things, such as trying to spot a hidden Pict or discern some other hidden danger.

Boating : This covers the handling of watercraft in peace and war, whether it be a skiff, coracle or longship.

Chirurgery (Non-Knightly) : This is the art of medicine for treating disease and major wounds through herbalism and surgery. It is the realm of priests and women in this time, and revolves around herbalism, prayer and keeping the patient alive so the body heals itself. The most direct healing is bone setting, but otherwise it is a hands-off process.

Compose : This is the art of writing poetry and musical pieces, often for romantic purposes, but also as lampoons, works of persuasion, etc. The composer is limited in his ability to perform his composition by his play and sing skills.

Courtesy (Knightly, Knowledge) : This is knowing how to behave appropriately in court. From table manners, to speech protocol, vocabulary, style and forms of address. Courtesy does not include dance, heraldry or forms of tournament which are important enough to warrent their own skills.

Dancing : This is the art of dancing in public as well as knowledge of styles of formal dancing done at court.

Faerie Lore (Knowledge) : This quantifies how much a knight knows about the mysterious ways of Faerie and the invisible world of the Other Side. It may be used to identify a particular type of faerie sighted, to recognise a faerie encounter as such or to aid communications with the inhabitants of the faerie world.

Falconry : This is the skill of hunting with falcons for sport.

Fashion (Non-Knightly) : Keeping up with the latest fashions, understanding what is in style, even predicting next seasons style.

First Aid (Knightly) : This is the skill of providing immediate medical assistance to wounds. Characters cannot provide first aid to themselves.

Flirting : This courtly skill can be mastered to convey sensuality and sexuality. The primary purpose is to attract the attention of members of the opposite sex. Success does not mean you have seduced the target of your affections, merely that you have successfully conveyed interest in them. Seduction certainly requires flirtation during it’s initial stages, although it is not uncommon to flirt for amusements sake.

Folk Lore(Knowledge) : The knowledge of how the common folk live, their beliefs and ways. It includes thousands of tiny details, such as when to bring the pigs in for the winter or what herbs help calloussed hands, how to cheat the tax collector and which songs make plants grow quicker. Every knight knows much of this knowledge is nonsense, but also understands the simple folk believe it passionately.

Gaming : This is the skill of playing games, for entertainment or gambling. This does not extend to physical sports such as wrestling and jousting. Common games include Tabula, Les Dames (Checkers) and Gwyddbwyll.

Heraldry(Knowledge) : This is the art of recognizing heraldry so as to know who you’re dealing with.

Hunting(Knightly) : Hunting is the skill that encompasses the entire variety of tasks performed during the noble sport of the chase, excluding the combat skills.

Industry(Non-Knightly) : Knights never engage in industry and risk losing their high rank if they do. Industry is the work of creating things with your hands, from basket weaving to carpentry, or the peasents labours and farming.

Intrigue : This is the skill of knowing what is going on at court. Listening to the gossip and working out the true facts. intrigue is not used to poison people, forment rebellion or assassinate rivals. Such dark acts must be roleplayed.

Orate : This is the art of fluent speaking in public, with fluid grace and charm and charasmatic delivery.

Play (Instrument) : This must be taken for each instrument individually. Everyone appreciates a good tune to wile-away the hours, this skill can aid with romance.

Read (Writing)(Knowledge) : Several esoteric forms of writing exist in Britain, each generally only known to initiates of ancient lore. They are generally used for documenting magical powers; they often serve as the foci for spells and rituals. Latin is the closest equivalent to modern writing and even that tongue is rarely encountered except within the church. Otherwise, characters might encounter symbols written on sticks, stone menhirs or inscribed over mysterious cave mouths. This skill is specific for each individual type of symbol; characters with this skill should choose a “language” from the list below:

Ogham: Arose from old Cymri and Irish.

Runes: Saxon written characters

Glyphs: Pictish signs, most often carved into rocks that serve as border markers and altars to local spirits

Latin: The language of old Rome.

Recognize : This lets you put together clues to figuring out which name goes with which face. You must have reason to recall facts about that person, and you must have heard about them, seen them or be introduced to them previously.

Religion (Faith) : This skill quantifies how much a character knows concerning the beliefs, rites and rituals of a religion, as well as their sacred calander and their ability to follow ceremony.

Romance(Knowledge) : A romance roll maight be required to know how to first approach a woman for the first time, how to properly avert one’s eyes; to properly kiss a hand, wrist, elbow or any other part of the body, and most especially what is the best type of present to give a lover.

Singing : Vocal music pleases most listeners, whether sung in church, in court, for a lover, or around a campfire.

Stewardship : This ability to plan, administer and oversee the keeping of a farm or similar holding is not usually required for knights. On a knights holding, the bailiff usually knows this skill

Swimming : Swimming is used to move through water, remove armour while in water and try to keep from drowning. Important - your swimming skill is reduced by 1 per point of armour worn.

Tourney(Knowledge) : This skill is used to understand the correct procedures, customs and behaviour at that spectacle of chivalrous entertainment known as the tournament.

Combat Skill List

Axe : This skill dictates the use of a battle axe, a one handed weapon that may be single or double edged

Battle(Knightly) : This skill has two general applications, the first dictates a leaders ability to command his troops in battle and skirmishes. The second applies to tactical decisions when individuals are seperated from their unit in battles.

Bow : This skill dictates a characters aptitude with a bow. Knights do not usually use bows in combat, though they do use them in hunting

Crossbow : This mechanical device has been invented, some say, by the devil. The Pope has outlawed it’s use against Christians, but the commoners seem to have not heard. Knights generally scorn the use of crossbows in combat, though a few accept their use in hunting

Dagger(Knightly) : This skill includes the use of all one handed knives, daggers and even short swords (shorter than an arming sword). The weapons covered by this skill are ineffective against heavily armoured knights.

Great Axe : A two handed, double headed battle axe.

Horsemanship(Knightly) : The ability to perform manouvers and actions while mounted on a moving horse. Such activities include fighting, jumping obstacles and galloping. Horsemanship is also used by a mounted combatabt whenever he suffers a ‘knockdown’

Javelin : This skill dictates a characters use of the javelin, a short light spear that can be thrown.

Mace : A heavy, one handed bludgeoning weaopn, effective against foes in chainmain armour

Spear Expertise(Knightly) : For Cymric knights, this skill encompasses the skills split for knight from other cultures between Lance, Spear and Great Spear.

Sword(Knightly) : This skill quantifies how well a knight fights with a sword. Swords are special weapons for knights and a badge of office. Knights may wear swords anywhere they wish especially at court. Arming swords are most common, one handed blades of varing lengths, thicknesses, profiles and styles made from the best possible steel.

Longsword refers to blades which require two hands to use effectively and are not usually avaliable during the rule of Uther. They are not covered by this skill.

Starting values

Awareness - 7
Boating - 1
Chirugery - 0
Compose - 1
Courtesy - 5
Dancing - 2
Faery Lore - 1
Falconry - 3
Fashion - 0
First Aid - 10
Flirting - 3
Folklore - 2
Gaming - 3
Heraldry - 1
Hunting - 6
Industry - 0
Intrigue - 3
Orate - 5
Play (Harp) - 3
Read (Latin) - 0
Recognise - 3
Religion ( your choice ) - 2
Romance - 0
Singing - 4
Stewardship - 2
Swimming - 2
Tourney - 0

Battle - 10
Siege - 2
Horsemanship - 10
Sword - 10
Spear expertise - 10
Dagger - 5

To personalise your character further, follow the next steps:

1. Choose any one combat or non-combat skill at which you excel. Make it 15
  2. Choose any three non-combat skills and make each of them 10.
  3. Raise any four scores from among Traits (e.g. chaste/lustful) , Passions (e.g. Love (family)) , atrributes (e.g. STR or SIZ) or Skills (e.g Sword) . Pay heed to the restrictions listed after step 4
    If you raise a skill or combat skill, then it increases by up to 5 points.
    If you raise an attribute, trait or passion, then it increases by 1 point
  4. Add 10 more discresionary points to be divided in any amount among any non-combat skills of your choice. Pay heed to the restrictions below.

Restrictions:
No skill or combat skill may be raised above 15

No trait can be raised above 19

No passion can be raised above 20

No attribute may be raised above racial limits

racial limits reminder

SIZ - min 8, max - 18
DEX - min 5, max 18
STR - min 5, max 18
CON - min 5, max 21*
APP - min 5, max 18

No ordinary skill with a beginning value of 0 may be augmented, but combat skills with a value of 0 may be.

Finally, you may add your family characteristic to the appropriate skill. This does allow your skill to be higher than 15

That makes for some tricky choices! Ok here’s what I arrived at:

Non Combat Skills
Awareness: 12
Boating: 1
Compose: 10
Courtesy: 7
Dance: 2
Faerie Lore: 1
Falconry: 3
Fashion: 0
First Aid: 10
Flirt: 10
Folklore: 2
Game: 3
Heraldry: 1
Hunt: 6
Industry: 0
Intrigue: 10
Orate: 7
Play (Harp):
Read (Ogham): 1
Read (Latin): 0
Recognize: 3
Religion (Paganism): 2
Romance: 0
Sing: 4
Tourney: 0

Combat Skills:
Battle: 10
Sword: 15
Spear Expertise: 15
Dagger: 5
Horsemanship: 20
Siege: 2

Dylan has started dabbling in Ogham writing, so he can learn more about his great grandfather and grandfather… but more on that later…

@SleepyWill , @Scribbs I think we are done. Have a quick check.

@BioKeith I have amended the first post in this thread with your complete (for now) character sheet.

Just one more thing. You need to design a shield :shield:.

Oh - Sorry - I forgot to include something in that last post.
I used 1 of my 4 points to bump my size to 18 (bumping my Hit Points to 33 and Unconcious to 9) and a 2nd of my 4 points to bump my APP to 11.

A couple other things from the character summary - you show my Hate of Saxons to be 19. I think I rolled a 14 - was there something that added to that?
And you have me as a ‘2nd son’. Does that mean I don’t stand to inherit a manor, or is my older sibling a bastard, or otherwise ineligible to inherit?

I think we’re missing starting standard of living, as it will dictate what arms, armour and other horses Sir Dylan posseses.

This @Scribbs ?

Oh - and this inherited courser - is it special, or are all courser’s famed for their speed?

Yes, exactly that (which I completely missed) along with a courser.
A quick primer on horses:
Chargers are the main combat horse.
Coursers are faster, but aren’t as large, so lance charges will do less damage (as they are based on horse size rather than player strength); they are combat trained.
Rouncys are combat trained, but are really the horses you ride to spare you others when travelling.
Sumpters are pack horses, and are not combat trained.
All of these are ‘standard’ mounts and are commonly available for knights at this time period.

… I… I would not get too attached to your horses… Spoiler:Winter is coming and makes it a point to kill several of them… A knight I use to play had that happen to him…

And as for a coat of arms, I was thinking of this one - since my family is all about the horses.
CoatOfArms2

or this one:
CoatOfArms1

A typo for Hatred. Your Older brother has inherited a manor, but through his maternal side. (Basically it’s a fudge because as your father died the year you were born you couldn’t have any legitimate younger brothers. There’s still a manor with your name on it. Salisbury is very, very low on Knights at the minute.)

Excellent. Have a think about what shield you want. I’ve turned the first post into a wiki post, so you should be able to edit it yourself now.

Traditionally an achievement of arms doesn’t put a metal (white or yellow) on a metal, or a colour (everything else, which usually means red, green, blue and black) on a colour; so a three-way junction should never happen. Even in the real world this wasn’t always strictly observed, but following the rule makes the arms look more authentic.

(former player, watching with interest)

The other dice roller is only full of sympathy, empathy and other 'pathies for your character

(may include psychopathy…)

Reinforcing the above point, the limit does seem to vary from roll to roll.

:+1: - Horsemanship 20 should be fun :smiley:

Thanks @RossM for taking the lead while I’m recovering!