Home Videos Games Podcastle

Leder Games' Oath

I’ve noticed we’re not talking about this, and I can’t even express how excited I am to see what this turns out to be. Now, it’s possible that I’m blinded by my absolute love of Root and by extension, Leder games… but still.

https://ledergames.com/oath/

From the BGG page:

" In Oath , one to five players guide the course of history in an ancient land. Players might take the role of agents bolstering the old order or scheme to bring the kingdom to ruin. The consequences of one game will ripple through those that follow, changing what resources and actions future players may have at their disposal and even altering the game’s core victory condition.

If a player seizes control by courting anarchy and distrust, future players will have to contend with a land overrun by thieves and petty warlords. In a later game, a warlord might attempt to found a dynasty, creating a line of rulers that might last generations or be crushed by the rise of a terrible, arcane cult.

In Oath , there are no fancy production tricks, app-assisted mechanisms or production gimmicks. The game can be reset at any time and doesn’t require the same play group from one game to the next. A player might use the fully-featured solo mode to play several generations during the week and then use that same copy of the game for Saturday game-night with friends. There are no scripted narratives or predetermined end points. The history embedded in each copy of Oath will grow to be as unique as the players who helped build it."

4 Likes

Cole’s dev diaries are an interesting read

1 Like

Agreed

Yep, it’s on my watch list.

2 Likes

I’m totally excited about Oath and have been keeping up on Cole’s diaries, but I abhor the hype machine so I’m happy to watch this one quietly for now.

1 Like

Thanks for drawing attention to this game. I think it’s right up my street. One to watch :+1:

1 Like

I have been enjoying his design diaries, but they have been very light on content. His comments on the BGG threads have been a little more revealing.

I don’t think it will live up to expectations, but only because I don’t think the picture his diary paints is remotely possible. I do love that he’s thinking about and reading about such ideas though, and based on Pax Pamir 2, I’m sure it will be a very good game and I’m watching it’s development with interest.

It kind of sounds like the game lots of people have tried to make time and time again, and then you end up with the same game people have made time and time again, which doesn’t quite love up to expectations.

Still, anybody trying is good in my book, because it’s got to succeed at some point, right?

Right???

Yes, but this also means I won’t rush into buying it until people have had a chance to play it and see how it works at the table.

I can’t think of any other designs along the same lines.

The core mechanism that seems to been described so far is that of a main deck of cards from which cards can be added and removed during play. At the end of the game, whatever cards are in the main deck make up the main deck for the start of the next game.

However, it is not just a card game that plays out of that deck, that’s just one element.

Beyond that, we don’t have a lot of detail AFAIK.

I’ve read the first (were there more?) design diary with interest and since I missed out on his previous games (so far) I am quite curious to see what this will turn out to be. It’s going to be another KS right?

Which sounds very 7th Continent. (we own base game and expansion, and never finished even one of the curses successfully and thus it rests almost unplayed on our shelf of “we should really play this more”). What would make it different from 7th continent is this:

But it does sound very ambitious. Hoping for the best and future updates to satisfy my curiosity.

Well, I’d say “what makes it different” is “everything else”!

7th Continent is an exploration solo/coop-by-committee game, while Oath will be a competitive game with a known map. I can’t see any real scope for crossover there.

1 Like

I hope I hope. I judged too quickly based on a vague memory of reading the first part of the design diary a while ago.

But now I am reading part 2 of the design diary and I understand better what this may become:

At some point when playing Porfiriana I stopped taking all of the cards with me. I could leave most of the cards at home which both sped up setup and allowed me to safely close the box. Every once in awhile I would swap out some of the cards in the deck but mostly the card list stayed stable.

(This is a great idea I may steal for my next games of Pax Transhumanity)

I’m keeping this at arm’s legnth for now, though I feel I may regret it when everyone’s going crazy about the finished game.

Leder is a game-maker to pay some attention to, for sure.

2 Likes