Home Videos Games Podcastle

Last game you SOLD!

The “Last game you bought?” and “Your Last Played Game” threads are full of the cutting edge of what’s hot and new in the board game world, but I’m curious about what’s getting cut!

What is the last game you sold for some cash? Or maybe traded away? Or for the virtuous paragons among us… gave away?

Was it just not getting played anymore? Didja need space for something shinier? Did the game inspire too many fisticuffs and broken friendships? Why did you part with your precious cardboard son, or daughter?! Are you a monster?!?!

In seriousness, I think it’s super interesting to see the what games have left our collections and what we got in exchange for them. Maybe we can even help each other avoid some potential board game duds!

1 Like

Obviously I need to talk about my latest exchange, or why bother making a thread?

I sold T.I.M.E. Stories! I had the base game and all current expansions. I am probably one of the few who had a mostly good time with the series. We played through it with the same 3 players and occasionally had a fourth join. It has many problems, but we overlooked them and enjoyed the silly experimental game.

Sadly, as is the case with any puzzle based game, once you’ve played you can never really play it again. You know the answers to the riddles, where all the good items are, and the best route to take to solve the historic dilemma. There’s just no going back and in a game about time travel that’s… a bit on the nose. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m getting $170 (in Canadian colour money!) for the lot. It’s a big steal for the buyer, but I usually try and price low, at around 50% what I paid, because I want the shelf space NOW! The next series of T.I.M.E. Stories sounds like an improvement and doesn’t require the base game to play. It sounds more in the vein of Space Cowboys other series, Unlock, which we’re big fans of. I’ll probably squirrel that money away for that, or a local game con in September.

I very rarely let games go, but I traded away two games I bought very very cheaply: Samurai Spirit - which is a deathly dull minimal decision numbers game, I felt mislead by SU&SD’s enthusiasm for it - and San Juan - which is good, but not as good as Race for the Galaxy - for Zombie 15’.

Unfortunately, Zombie 15’ is just a game of how fast you can move components about, and not at all how fast you can think, and Escape and Space Alert are much better games at either extreme of the realtime spectrum - from madcap frantic to high pressure decisions. So I sold Zombie 15’ after a friend got what I thought to be an absurdly high price for their own copy - 5000 Yen. I got the same amount ($45 ish). So, an overall profit, but I feel like the time I wasted playing the games was worth more than the profit =P

1 Like

High Frontier 3rd Edition. I Kickstarted it… I waited… eventually it arrived… the corrected card arrived… and during all this time I got less and less enthusiastic about the idea of actually playing it. So I’ve turned it into cash.

Awesome thread!

I sold Res Arcana because I have other card tableau games I prefer: Race for the Galaxy, San Juan, Seasons, Fields of Green. I’m spoilt for choices.

Notable games I sold in the UKGE:

• Brass: Birmingham - I have a number of heavy games that I don’t get on the table that often: Terra Mystica, Tzolkin, Dominant Species. I don’t want another one, and certainly one that is so hard to explain.
  • Lowlands - I like interactive Euros (especially if they are semi-coops). I love pastoral games. But Lowlands have never clicked with me for some reason. I can totally see why it’s a clever game, but I just end up going back to Uwe’s games or Keyflower. If I want combos, I’d go for Nusfjord. If I want inter-player jostling, Keyflower. If I want to screw my friends’ engine, I’d play Architects of the West Kingdom.
  • Lancaster - I love it, but need to purge. Keyflower is the better “send your workers to jostle stuff”

How did you sell it used, I want to sell it to, but don’t know how to deal with the small pieces of cardboard you have to break. Like how do you say they aren’t all there without spoiling it?

I last sold my copy of Turing Tumble which you could (quite reasonably) argue is more of a toy than a board game. However, I sold it specifically in order to buy Pitchcar which, for some reason, is considered to be a board game :wink:

Before that, I took part in a couple of math trades. I ended up swapping:

• Scotland Yard
  • Dixit
  • Euphoria
  • Fallout
  • Formula De
  • Fool’s Gold

For:

• Callisto
  • Cacao
  • Quadropolis
  • Cyclades
  • Between Two Cities
  • Good Cop Bad Cop
  • Burrows

I sold Legendary Villains. I played Legendary to death and when my brother moved house he dropped my copy back. So done with it I moved it on.

Also Yedo went. I love the game, but I got a decent price for it and there’ll be space for the deluxe edition now.

Realm of Sands went recently. Shouldn’t have bought it, got rid of it quickly for not too much loss. It’s fine, but I move don Splendor and just too similar in terms of the bits I disliked about Splendor. Also I played it and just wanted to play Sorcerer and Stones instead.

Over the years I’ve moved on a lot of games, I very much view them as ephemeral experiences. When I get to the end of the shelf life of a good game the nostalgia would need to be enormous to justify the space for me. I think this year I’ve already cleared out 10, last year 25 went and the year before 20+. As my collection sits at 80 currently, it’s a fairly high churn. I also like to stay a little experimental so happy to take a hit on games in case they sit with my group and me in a way I wouldn’t get from reviews. I’m happy to take the financial hit for the chance of discovering an obscured gem like Rush’n’Crush or Noria at the cost of playing some games that get sold after 1 play.

1 Like

Eldritch Horror. It’s long, it’s a lot of reading text, there’s not a lot of game, it’s not as good as the AMAZING LCG, and I don’t think I’ve ever played a game through to the end (got too late, the place we were playing at was closing, or someone got bored).

It had to go.

I’ve actually have a pile to sell, but now the courier costs are so expensive I don’t know if I can be bothered.

1 Like

Are you referring to the little bonuses you earn at the end of a scenario depending on how well you did? If so, we just never broke them. I actually didn’t remember you were supposed to. We hoarded them and didn’t really use them until the very last scenario and, even then, just used them because it was the last scenario. I just stuck them back in the bottom of the box after we used them.

I also got rid of Samurai Spirit after a couple of plays. As far as co-op goes it seemed really dull. We also found it difficult, but not the kind of challenging that makes you want to try again and again.

1 Like

Last thing I sold was Gandhi: The Decolonisation if India to slowly build up cash for a Switch in my PayPal account.

I try and build a collection I play, not what I want to play and it fell in the latter.

I recently sold Race for the Galaxy (with all but the newest expansion) and Lost Patrol.

I had never bought a Gamesworkshop game before and didn’t realize it meant assembly required. Not my thing and don’t really have the time for it.

I bought RftG after playing it once. Obviously a great game, but I have limited time for gaming, and after reading and realizing the amount of time it takes to be even mildly proficient at that game, I realized it was never really going to work for me. After literally years of having it unopened on my shelf it was time to go.

6 Likes

Recently sold Archipelago and Robinson Crusoe. I love Archipelago, but between the uncomfortable racism and the upcoming Living Planet, I knew I probably wouldn’t get it to the table again. Living Planet seems to improve on what I liked about Archipelago and seems a little less fiddly so fingers crossed I don’t regret the sale. As for Robinson Crusoe, I just did not like the game at all. I felt like I was flipping through the bad rulebook for minutes between every single turn.

I gave away my copy of Puerto Rico to some friends recently. It was one of the first games I bought, and while it had its time and place, it had been years since I last played it. It was in too rough of shape to sell to somebody.

1 Like

I sold a few recently.

Sheriff of Nottingham - The world’s simplest bluffing game, which they’ve dressed up with a ludicrous number of flimsy cards and even more flimsy polyester bags. It’s fine, but there are better bluffing games you can play with a pack of playing cards.

A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition - Fiddly, and a real slog.

Knit Wit - Pretty but overproduced Scattegories.

Rex: Final Days of an Empire - It’s been sitting on the shelf for a long old time but never managed to get it to the table.

Bandu - To be replaced with Men at Work once it finally gets a proper release here.

Room 25 - It’s fine. There are better co-op games.

XCOM - See Room 25.

Cosmic Encounter - There is joy in the silliness, but not enough agency for it to feel satisfying.

Game of Thrones, The Iron Throne - Imagine Cosmic Encounter without the silliness.

Twilight Struggle - The game that taught me never to trust BGG. It’s fine.

3 Likes

We all have to learn that lesson eventually.

Sold High Society mainly due to my irrational frustration with tarot size cards where a normal size will do.

Also gone is Cockroach Poker Royal. It’s fine but I prefer Stew for bluffing at low player counts and Codenames fits larger groups

1 Like

Surely the real lesson is actually “don’t trust rankings without context”?

I finally sold Mice & Mystics with the Glorm expansion tonight. This game is the current benchmark for “aggressively unenthused” vibes from my girlfriend, so out it went after a single session. I wasn’t honestly impressed either. Took six weeks at a really nice price!

Another insta-flip I’m considering (for the same reason) is The Ancient World, except I really quite enjoyed our first play of it and I’ve got the fancy KS edition so I’m hesitant.

1 Like

Not really. I didn’t go on the rankings alone. I looked into the forums and reviews posted on BGG and predictably there were plenty of people singing its praises to high heaven. It’s fine. The lesson remains: Don’t trust BGG.