Home Videos Games Podcastle

Knightmare-like video games

There was a discussion of the TV show Knightmare on the most recent episode of Daft Souls, and how that could be implemented in a video game. I’ve never watched the show, but in short it sounds like a game show in which one person is blinded and has to make their way through a maze with obstacles solely based on the information given to them by their friends who are observing.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is one good example they brought up. However, I wanted to highlight another game my wife and I played called We Were Here. It is a two player coop in which one person is trying to make their way through a castle maze with plenty of obstacles and puzzles. The other player is stuck in a Library with lots of different information that they need to communicate to the other player. The maze player has to communicate what they need to the librarian, and the librarian has to find out where it is and ask questions to determine what the right information needs to be relayed. The library opens up to new areas as the maze player progresses as well. To make it even tougher, the voice chat is a walkie talkie type system in which you cannot talk over one another, so you need to use “over” type speak.

My wife and I loved it. It’s got some high tension moments, and a bit of horror elements sprinkled in. It’s also completely free. There is a sequel called We Were Here Too but I haven’t tried that one yet.

Any other games like these out there?

Heresy!

Start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5pdZOA9vc

Ooh… Nasty.

Would you include games where you both control elements of the same character?

I honestly can’t really think of any - the closest I can get is in most serious level e-sport races in most racing sims, it’s common (whether allowed or not) to have a spectator feeding you spotter instructions - E.g. telling you when a car is making an overtaking move that you might not see coming, or trying to keep you clear of trouble at the start.

Would you consider something like Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime as qualifying, if you counted the ship as the character?

How about Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes?