Home Videos Games Podcastle

Introduction Thread!

I was wondering if we would be getting an introduction thread, to say who we are, what we play and what not?

Gaming group in Montreal?

Maybe you should start one! It’s a free forum. :blush: Probably the Finland forum would be the most appropriate place.

This is now it!
Hi!

My names Jon and I’m one of your friendly Mod team. i’m relatively new to boardgaming, haing got into it only 5 years og or so. I’ve played RPG’s on and off for much longer, and Computer games since I was small.
I have a wife and some children, who I like to play games with.

OH WOW PEOPLE
Hello! You are all lovely. I can tell, every single one of you is just a genuinely lovely, warm, beautiful person who wants to bring joy and board games to the world.

Oh, a self-introduction thread. Sorry.

Nice to meet y’all! I’m Tom. I like all of the games, basically ever, and I also like talking about games at any events they’ll let me talk at, and also generally being around.

Also I’m a mod here, since we seem to be warning people so they have enough time to flee.

Hello!
I’m Erik and I’m a board gamer. I got into this hobby… oh, three or four years ago now, when a friend of a friend introduced me to some proper board games. Up until that point I had thought that board games were, you know, Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit. Now, there’s nothing wrong about those games, but when I was presented with stuff like Roborally and Small World… Well, my mind was positively blown. I’ve been an avid board gamer ever since and my collection has grown to over 150 games and expansion at this point.

In my civilian life I’m a Linux systems administrator. I live in Sweden where we spend most of our time trying to dodge the polar bears that roam our ice-covered streets. When I’m not board gaming I enjoy more active… eh… activities, like bike rides (just did a 80km race the other weekend!) and trying to convince myself that no, I do enjoy going on runs, actually.

Outside of SU&SD I can be found Tweeting at @tengblad, where I mostly just complain at the Swedish national train operator for failing at the one job they have.

Oh, and like Jon I’m part of your friendly neighbourhood mod team. Hello again!

And good bye!

Hi all! I’m Will. I run a group of roleplayers and board gamers in North London (I say ‘run’, but it’s pretty democratic). If you’re new to the city or want to make links between different groups, give me a shout. I always love meeting new gamers.

I like board games with one or more of the following: traitor mechanics, role-picking, bidding mechanics and Nash equilibriums. Equilibria. Whatever. Generally, I prefer story- or character-driven roleplaying games to mechanics-based ones.

Also I do a podcast sometimes with the wonderful Grant, Jon and Ben.

Hello all,
I’m Joe. Based in the UK Primarily started out with computer games growing up and have become much more into board-gaming and RPG’s in the last few years. I’m also a newbie field archer, which involves walking around woodlands shooting arrows at things, great fun.

During the day I work for Unity Technologies, the computer game engine folks.

Pleased to meet you! Hope you guess my name! But if you can’t, it’s Dan. Hello you!

I’m an economy-sized father of four from the Home Counties. I’ve been roleplaying for about 25 years and boardgaming for only slightly less time than that. My turn-ons are social justice, lamb tikka bhuna and WWE mid-card heels. My turn-offs are pretty much anyone who’s run the New York Jets’ offence, Chris Evans (the DJ, not Captain America) and invertebrates.

I’ll play pretty much anything once, but my favourite boardgames are Space Alert, Pandemic, Timbuktu and anything where you have to lie with a straight face.

Oh, yes, and that friendly team of mods that people keep talking about? I am another one. Of them.

Hi I’m Bob and I’ve been back into gaming for like 3 or 4 years but when I was a kid it Space Crusade and Heroquest that led to 40k and eventually D&D.

I am part of a small group of gamers in Belfast any other Belfast gamers, hey!

Also comics.

Hello lovely people!

I’m Clare, also of team Friendly Mod. I’m from Sheffield (UK) and dove headlong into board, video and roleplay games around ten years ago when university opened my eyes to this wonderful world. Generally I’m looking for a good story, though I’m a sucker for a really unique mechanic or (call me shallow) aesthetic.

Otherwise, I’m a failed physicist who found her way into the murky world of distributed computing at some point, and do some music related things in my not-so-copious spare time.

Hi I'm Bob and I've been back into gaming for like 3 or 4 years but when I was a kid it Space Crusade and Heroquest that led to 40k and eventually D&D.

Also comics.

Hey! I’m not a Belfast gamer, but I go over there about once a month for work - any cool places I should be checking out?

Oh I should also mention that I am in Manchester in the UK too… incase any other folks are around that area!

My turn-offs are pretty much ... Chris Evans (the DJ, not Captain America) and invertebrates.

Well as long as you’re OK with Simon Mayo, you’re fine with me :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello all,

I’m Simon, based in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire and I’ve been gaming for around about 3 years. I’m currently undergoing a stealth campaign to force my colleagues to play games with me, and am semi-responsible for a motley crew of players (or at least I will be when they start trickling back from holidays etc)

Glad to finally have a place to natter with you guys whilst I should be working

HEY EVERYBODY! THIS IS SO EXCITING!

ahem

My name is Rafael, I’m from Brazil but I’ve been living in the USofA for the last five years, studying - I was in Ohio for my PhD and am now in Idaho for my postdoc. I study birds and their pretty feathers.

I’ve played RPGs and card games since I was twelve, but never really got into boardgames because they were really expensive in Brazil (boardgames are taxed as toys, RPGs on the other hand were taxed as books, which made importing them really cheap!). Moving to the US for grad school meant boardgames were cheaper and required a smaller time investment, which worked out great. It also means that now I have a much larger collection than I know what to do with and that it’s going to be a terrible headache taking everything back to Brazil once I’m done.

But you know what? TOTALLY WORTH IT. Boardgaming has given me several memories I cherish and has given me the chance to meet some really great folks. Looking forward to meeting even more great, lovely friends on the pages of these forums… cheers!

My turn-offs are pretty much ... Chris Evans (the DJ, not Captain America) and invertebrates.

Well as long as you’re OK with Simon Mayo, you’re fine with me :stuck_out_tongue:

I am OK with Simon Mayo! Moreso with Kermode than on his own, but in general he’s perfectly cromulent.

Hi I'm Bob and I've been back into gaming for like 3 or 4 years but when I was a kid it Space Crusade and Heroquest that led to 40k and eventually D&D.

Also comics.

Hey! I’m not a Belfast gamer, but I go over there about once a month for work - any cool places I should be checking out?

Depends what you’re looking for and when you’re here, gaming wise I don’t know :\ I’m hoping someone will tell me on these forums. But always up for spreading the word about Belfast Roller Derby you should check out a game if one is on when you’re here.

I am Dom, irregular commenter, most recognizable for occasionally producing vaguely-humorous images that typically end up at the top of the comments when sorted by “best”. I do feel guilty about getting in the way of the real discussion that this community is so good at.

I am also noteworthy for being an ex-president of Oxford University’s Board Gaming Society and being the organizer of last January’s OxCon. I’m no longer around, but if you live in Oxford area I’ll be happy to give you details if you’re interested - you’ll be very welcome to come alone.

The most played game in my collection would be Avalon, which must have seen hundreds of games across various different groups of people, though I personally find it rather tedious these days. I much prefer a good game of Eclipse (including expansion) though it’s a bit too much of a commitment to pull out regularly.

In real life, I’m a Software Developer focusing on the Web Development using the .Net stack (though I much prefer python and django), and I got married three weeks ago. And yes, there were games at the wedding.

I got married three weeks ago. And yes, there were games at the wedding.

Congratulations! The best kind of wedding.

I met my wife through my tabletop RPG group. I’ve recently branched into board games.

I’m Michael. I’m a researcher (something about AI) at King’s College London, but mostly work from home in Scotland. If anyone wants to meet up for a game in either of these places, I will bring snacks.

waves
I’m James (Cobbett, for those of you that will recognise me from the Comments). Just hit 30, married, 1 year old son, work for Lionhead Studios in Guildford, UK.

Discovered board gaming probably just over a year ago thanks to Wil Wheaton, and then very quickly discovered SU&SD and bought a whole stack of games. I play reasonably regularly at work, but mostly with my wife. As soon as home life with the little 'un gets a bit less hectic I plan to game a lot more with family and friends. Not sure what my favourites are, but I do like silly bluffing games like Coup and One Night Ultimate Werewolf with my work friends, and my wife and I enjoy Carcassonne and Dominion a lot. We’re waiting for Suburbia to come back into stock in the UK cos I can see that being a favourite, but Castles of Mad King Ludwig might be out by the time that happens… Choices!

work for Lionhead Studios

That’s cool. Have you been working on anything interesting (that you can talk about)?