Home Videos Games Podcastle

I have created new life! ... Oh shit, I'm a parent now

F the other shit that needs to be done in the house. It’s either that or slowly growing urges for infanticide. Your sanity is more important than keeping up.

The only way my youngest could sleep is when he was on me (specifically on my left shoulder in the glider chair after walking about a mile holding him there. The right shoulder was not good enough for him. My left bicep would burn like a sonofabitch). And I learned to sleep in that uncomfortable dammed chair. He was happy, so goddamit, I was going to be happy enough at 3AM.

Besides, the top part felt great, he was very snuggly. It mitigated the lack of lumbar support, butt-cushioning, and shoulder ligament tearing that was happening on the back.

I used to take photos of @COMaestro passed out with baby to prove he was asleep because he woud claim “just resting my eyes”

What’s wrong with falling asleep while holding a baby?

(he asks, 3 babies in)

I think the concern is dropping the baby because you fell asleep.

I, personally, have drifted off to sleep while holding my daughter in the gliding chair several times, but never in a situation where she could have fallen.

That said, my wife and I are intentional in that we try to minimize how often and how routine it becomes due to fear that if it becomes too routine, we may get sloppy and end up dropping her.

I’ve dozed off while giving my kids their bottles at night but usually only for a couple of seconds and each time with a jolt that would usually startle the child I’m trying to calm down. Good times.

I feel you there. Trying to keep bubs asleep in the middle of the night so mum can sleep, every so often I’d stop pacing and try recline in the worlds least comfortable non reclinable feeding chair. Was always comfortable for about 10 minutes before starting awake and waking the baby.

@Benkyo the concern here is dropping the baby, or shifting in your sleep and the baby falls. Judging by the number of times we’ve been told not to do it, it’s a bit of a problem here.

Ah, I only had full reclining positions in mind. I can’t imagine falling asleep while seated, perhaps because we don’t have any comfy chairs.

Falling asleep while lying down, on the other hand, we do all the time. Hozumi often fell asleep while/post breastfeeding our first.

It’s a trap!

Thanks to this thread I’ve had to look up “gliding chairs” and “feeding chairs”. Rocking chairs, right? We have never even considered one, but I can see how they might be useful. If only we had the floor space…

Yeah, rocking chairs with a less-pronounced angle of movement. Highly recommended if you have the space and budget

I often used to take a nap with my baby on my chest while lying on the sofa.

Tried co-sleeping (i.e.baby in bed with you) and couldn’t get on with it. The little bugger was too wriggly

Also - children can puncture your ego so easily

Child: I love you Mummy
Mummy: what about Daddy?
Child: I like Daddy. I also like Tilly (the cat). And Woolly.

I have been equated to the cat and a cuddly toy. Gee thanks

Yeah, you get used to it. You turn to someone next to you, “hey, that’s my kid!” You point and the person next to you ignores you.

The kid(s) find mom in the crowd (and even gramps and grandma) and wave at them. Not me, to them.

That’s cool, though. I’m OK with being my kids’ pet dad. I have authority and a beard :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I can handle the rest of the minor stuff. If they get troublesome when in mixed company, I have no problem intimating to them that I have tales of changing their diapers, to keep them in check.

The look on their faces are a combination of conciliatory and rebellious, though, a smirk you can’t really get over, “you’ve won this round old man! But I kind of wanted to hear what you would have said, anyway.”

I joke with my wife that if you ever want to feel like chopped liver, be me picking our daughter up from daycare (my in-laws some days, our friend on other days) instead of my wife who usually does.

There are no smiles. There are no hugs. The answer to “are you ready to go home?” is a stone faced shake of the head and a questioning look of “where’s mommy?”

To be fair, when I pick him (or indeed my daughter) up from school (pre-school in his case), he seems equally as delighted to run to me as opposed to my wife. Unless she’s there too, in which case it’s no contest!

Ohh… I didn’t think about this. My wife works at the preschool we’re sending bubs to. I suspect there’ll be some painful moments to come. What’s it going to be like when mom’s off sick and I have to drop bubs off? (Emotionally draining, that’s what.)

Dropping my daughter off every morning was the hardest thing I had to learn to do just right. She’s used it now, but for the first several weeks it was torture watching her cry and worry.

The first week of daycare is a nightmare. Your happy outgoing child comes back to you each day needy, clinging, and distraught, and you wonder if you are inflicting permanent psychological damage on them. Then it gets better.

The first time I dropped my oldest off in preschool when he was just a kid, he ran to join what was going on with the other kids, and didn’t even notice I was leaving him there.

There were tears, they just weren’t his.

It was the evenings that were disturbing for us, more than the drop-off.

I don’t know what age preschool means, but I’m specifically referencing a 1 year old who was still breastfeeding.