Hey there, long time SUSD reader, but first time in the forums, actually. It’s nice here. Love those drapes.
Anyway. In February I am going on student exchange to Italy which means I will have to interact with loads of new people and I intend to enlist board games to help me with socializing.
Here’s where I turn to you dear SUSDers (I don’t think that’s a thing). What games should I take with me baring in mind these conditions:
- It must be a gateway game. I have no way of knowing what level of player I will meet.
- It must be playable by a non-native English speakers. Doesn’t mean the game has to be language independent, there can be for example text on cards but I would avoid games that are ABOUT language (Codenames, Dixit).
- It must be as small as possible. This doesn’t mean that the box has to be small. Just neccesarry game components must be compact. I will throw boxes and any other fluff away.
With these criteria I want to build a game collection that I can take with me and whip out everytime there is an opportunity. I intend to take a box the size of Codenames and fill it so it’ll pack the biggest punch possible.
My current idea of what I am going to do:
- I already have The Mind, Dao and I just ordered Welcome To… (if I want to go crazy I can laminate some playsheets)
- bunch of colored pens and few notebooks and I can play Tellestrations and Fake artist
- I can throw away the rules and put PDF versions in my phone
What do you think? What other games should I get? What about some great PnP stuff? Any other ideas of how to maximize coolness:size ratio?