Home Videos Games Podcastle

Gardening!

Does anyone here share my other obsession of gardening? Indoor or outdoor, flowers or veggies, I would like to see your patch :slight_smile: (if it’s the only houseplant you manage to keep alive, I’m still interested)

This is the current state of my back garden - it’s a work in progress:

10 Likes

Lovely! I never have any luck with veggies due to all of the blasted raccoons and squirrels in my neighborhood, but I always make sure to have a nice grouping of flowers out around my ginkgo tree by my front door. I’ll have to take a picture when I get home. Though, the extreme heat here in Georgia is starting to take its toll on everything. :unamused:

2 Likes

Not many raccoons around here, but there’s a squirrel that’s taken to eating my strawberries :angry:

Tomatoes, beans, and peppers. I’ve given up on veg at this point.

1 Like

Oh… this is a very dangerous topic…

I will have to take many photos when I have a chance!!!

3 Likes

Please do!

1 Like

Sorry, question time!

What are you using for the ground cover between the stepping stones?

What is the big purple plant in the background? I can not quite make out what it is…

Do I spy 6(?) sweet corn plants? Are they generic yellow or yellow/white hybrids?

I think I see some rosemary?

Is your cloth you have down porous for water flow purposes?

Did you use cedar for your raised beds?

What is your climate? (Hardiness zone works for USA)

(Sorry, I had a focus at Uni in Horticulture: emphasis on Greenhouse Management)

2 Likes

I raided the alpine section of my local garden centre: sempervivum, leptinella “Platt’s black”, Ajuga “chocolate chip”, Erodium “reichardii album”, Sagina “lime moss”, and a creeping thyme that I had in a pot.

I think it’s a tree mallow - I should have cut it back in the spring but I didn’t, so it’s rather taken over.

You spy 4 sweetcorn plants. They are painted mountain variety.

You do :smile:. There’s also sage and 13 varieties of mint (I got a little carried away…)

The fabric is porous - the previous owner of the house used plastic sheeting under the gravel, much to my chagrin.

They’re pine - I bought a kit from my local DIY shop.

Approximately USDA zone 8 (I’m in northern England).

2 Likes

Careful with this one! Ajuga can be mildly invasive if it gets in a yard and has a tendency to choke out plants. With that said, it is a very effective ground cover. One I really like is this plant.

I had a professor who said: “The best place to plant mint in the landscape is: next to the foundation of a house with a concrete trench around it 6 inches wide and 12 inches deep…”

Mint can be very invasive if it gets in a lawn. Lucky for you, it is in a raised bed! :smile:

That is the worst!

Just as good! As long as it is untreated. Sadly, some people will try to make them with treated lumber to prevent from rotting, but the treatment coating is actually bad for plants and can kill them when it leaches out in a rain.

:cry: There are sooo many good plants in that range! Sadly, I am Zone 5, so there are many plants I can recommend which you can grow, but I will have to keep in mind hardiness for any you recommend.

1 Like

Thanks for the warning about the ajuga, I’ll keep an eye on it! The mint is most definitely not going in the ground, I’m planning to put most of them in pots eventually.

Any and all plant recommendations gratefully accepted :smile: I am especially short on things that look good in winter.

1 Like

We have herbs (rosemary, mint, parsley, society garlic), a mango tree, and some weird hybrid citrus tree that used to be oranges (propagating orange trees usually means grafting them onto grapefruit root-stock. We didn’t trim it properly and these weird grapefruit-ish fruits ended up growing in through the root-stock), and a lot of non-food plants and vines and flowers (and lots of unintentional stuff, this is Florida, anything that doesn’t need a frost is practically climbing into your house).

The one I’m most proud of is my ginger root! I’ll try to get a pic ASAP, it’s been thunder and lightning almost every day.

3 Likes

Sounds fancy!

Please share pictures of all the things I can’t grow because Yorkshire is cold and damp :grin:

1 Like

Society garlic looks like grass, it tastes like garlic, but it doesn’t leave your breath all garlicky (hence the “society” appellation). I’ve cooked with it a bunch, and it’s really easy to grow, or, at least, down here it’s really easy. I’ve had the same “clump” for over 4 years.

I will get photos as soon as I can, but this summer it seems like the weather is actively trying to kill us.

2 Likes

It’s our garden ! Circa april/may. We harvested the radishes (right most side) soon after the picture was taken. We planted some onions but they did not grow ! Also, the lentils burned with the first heatwaves so we took those out also.

9 Likes

@MinuteWalt I have a clump of chives that fulfills a similar function for spring onions/scallions

@Cokho what is the big leafy plant in the middle foreground? It looks a bit like rhubarb.
I have the opposite problem with my onions - they’ve all bolted (bottom right with the white pom-pom flowers)

3 Likes

ding ding ding! Rhubarb it is. I have two, and they keep on giving. I already harvested them 3 or 4 times since they started growing early spring. Love it, very good with pie.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking of getting some rhubarb. There’s another patch the other side of my back fence that I’m not making full use of, but it might be a bit too shady.

I feel like it is mostly a type of ground thing. If it likes were it is planted, I feel like it cannot die. But my mom, even though she’s a very good gardener, could never get one to grow, no matter how hard she tried.

With your blossomed onions, do you harvest the seed for next year?

1 Like

I feel this is true with Rhubarb. Growing up, we had a full sun location and a partial sun location. Both produced well (full sun better than the other, but still both produced).

2 Likes

This is the first time I’ve grown onions - I’ll probably try collecting the seed and see if I can get any to grow!

2 Likes