Home Videos Games Podcastle

Forum Bug reports

If you have any technical issues with the forums please post here so our techpriests can invoke the necessary incantations. Remember to let us know what operating system and browser you’re using, any error messages you see and if possible exactly how to make the bug appear, that we might smite it.

Feature requests and Subforum ideas have their own threads, and there’s a post here about how to use the less intuitive features of the forum, as well as general information.

Known issues:

• Usernames can't be changed currently
  • Edit timer: working on it
  • "iPhone support coming soon!" message: Currently stopping worse things from breaking

I am not allowed to “log in from that IP address”

This is more of a feature request than a bug, but it would be great if we could change our usernames - or even better, if these accounts could be linked to our Disqus comment accounts to provide some continuity between the two halves of the site.

Otherwise, great work guys! I’m so excited.

Our first live-bug has been squashed, thanks Otacon and Mcw0933 for the help.
I’ve deleted the report posts to keep things tidier here.

Username changing is something we’ve looked into, I think it’s on the wishlist at the moment :slight_smile:

Agreed with mnefstead. A quick post on how to change your avatar would be helpful too. I’ve been poking around for a bit and can’t seem to figure it out… Also, very happy to be here! Been excited to lurk on this forum since it was announced.

There’s some info in a sticky now that should point you in the right direction Doctor_Kisses, I just put it up.

So…not sure if this is a bug or feature request but…

I have a habit of thinking faster than I type, which makes for a number of typos. That, coupled with the guilt of a former English major makes me really cringe that I cannot seem to go back and edit posts I’ve made in reply to other’s posts.

I seem to be able to edit my own discussion posts (with the magically appearing gear icon in the upper right), but replies are no dice–everything I write is written in stone (once I hit sumbit).

Is this supposed to be like this? Or is there something I’m missing (again, that’s not unlikely).

...I seem to be able to edit my own discussion posts (with the magically appearing gear icon in the upper right), but replies are no dice--everything I write is written in stone (once I hit sumbit)...

Do you mean where you click on a user and type it into the box labeled, “ACTIVITY?” I haven’t seen anything marked “Reply” outside of the normal News/Reviews comments part of the site.

Specificity! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But yeah, I noticed that too.

Someone needs to explain to me what’s the difference between “agree” and “like” on comments. I NEEED TO KNOW!!!

Someone needs to explain to me what's the difference between "agree" and "like" on comments. I NEEED TO KNOW!!!
It's just a more refined feedback system. With simple up and down votes (a la Disqus) you can't really explain why you upvoted something without going for a full comment which clutters up the thread. With this system you can be more pointed in your approval. Say you are in a debate with someone and they put a lot of effort in to their argument: you might appreciate their work - a 'like' - but not agree with them. Conversely, someone might say something in line with your views - an 'agree' - but not put it in a particularly pleasant manner. (This latter case is a bit more muddy - an 'agree' could be construed as agreement with both the argument itself and the sentiment with which it was presented.) I don't really see the need for a 'disagree' button. If you do disagree, why? Comment about it and continue the discussion! Of course, this is all how I see the system - the way these end up being used will depend on everyone and conventions will evolve over time on what things really mean. I guess the true answer to your query is "whatever we make it".

It’s actually a system that I wish disqus has. It is easy to write a comment that gets cheap laughs and many upvotes, sending your comment to the top of the page when sorted via ‘best’, so that it gets seen all the more and receives even more likes. It hides the good discussion, which people are generally less inclined to read (because effort) and more inclined to downvote when they disagree with it. The ‘best’ ranking algorthm should weight ‘agree’ votes more, so that lower quality posts don’t float to the top so readily.

Someone needs to explain to me what's the difference between "agree" and "like" on comments. I NEEED TO KNOW!!!

That’s for you to decide, I suspect!

I reckon there’s a line between liking how something is said, and voting that it’s the right solution. I’m using likes for the most part, but would agree with something that felt like there was a more clear ‘debate’ going on, with ‘sides’ and stuff like that.

(Of course, as a ‘typical Gemini’* I take both sides in most discussions, at least mentally, and end up confused)

In short, like raises a smile, agree makes you stroke your chin and go ‘hmm’ in a positive tone.

*who, case in point, doesn’t believe even remotely in astrology despite thoroughly exemplifying my supposed starsign

Not a bug report, but a compliment to the forum design thus far. I’m glad you went for a light and airy forum, without horrendous, enormous signatures and the like. It all feels pretty snappy too when you post or click on threads.

One suggestion actually:

Personally I’d prefer it if the forum text wasn’t so wide. You have to read a long way from right-to-left for a single line. I prefer reading narrower blocks of text online, like the front page articles, or on news websites etc. There’s a good 20 or more words per line on the forum, which somehow feels a slight chore to my brain.

If that makes sense.

I’m having a bit of trouble with the Edit function. It takes a LOT of clicks before one of them will finally register. I’ll hover over the gear, click the edit button and … nope.

Also the had time limit has a problematic consequence. If you’re in the middle of typing an edit while the time runs out there will be no indication of this but your post won’t be admissible. I’m not sure what the best way to fix this is without removing the time-limit concept entirely and I do get why the time limit is there.

One suggestion actually:

Personally I’d prefer it if the forum text wasn’t so wide. You have to read a long way from right-to-left for a single line. I prefer reading narrower blocks of text online, like the front page articles, or on news websites etc. There’s a good 20 or more words per line on the forum, which somehow feels a slight chore to my brain.

If that makes sense.

It’s a responsive design (to a point), so you could always try reducing your window size? Probably not the ideal solution though! Will add it to the feature request list, though as it’s probably a matter of taste, not sure whether it would be done.

So there’s a preference option for notification about bookmarked discussions, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to add a bookmark to a thread outside of using browser bookmarks. Does the forum read our browser information, or are we missing a flag on the discussions themselves?

One suggestion actually:

If that makes sense.

It’s a responsive design (to a point), so you could always try reducing your window size? Probably not the ideal solution though! Will add it to the feature request list, though as it’s probably a matter of taste, not sure whether it would be done.

Hehe, I just tried your suggestion to see what would happen and noticed that if you make it too small a message pops up saying: “iPhone support coming soon!” :smiley:

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Edit function. It takes a LOT of clicks before one of them will finally register. I'll hover over the gear, click the edit button and ... nope.

Also the had time limit has a problematic consequence. If you’re in the middle of typing an edit while the time runs out there will be no indication of this but your post won’t be admissible. I’m not sure what the best way to fix this is without removing the time-limit concept entirely and I do get why the time limit is there.

Re. Edit button: What OS and browser are you using? Are you having the problem on any other sites or buttons on this site?

Re. Edit timer: The issue has been raised but it isn’t likely to be possible in the near future I’m afraid.

Re. Edit button: What OS and browser are you using? Are you having the problem on any other sites or buttons on this site?

I have windows 8 and the most recent Firefox. I haven’t had trouble with any other buttons on this site and nothing from other sites comes to mind.

It comes and goes. I tried it just now and it worked immediately. But sometimes it either takes forever, doesn’t register half the clicks, or both–it’s hard to tell.

One suggestion actually:

If that makes sense.

Also, no idea how easy it would be to implement, but would a slider in the User’s preferences to control the forum width be possible? My head tells me that would be a nightmare to get working without all sorts of things breaking.

@Gwathdring: Reported the issue on our bugtracker.
@Tomo: Updated the bug report with the slider suggestion. I’ve no idea how plausible it is either, we shall see!

If you moue over the title of a thread you created while browsing the threads in forum view (ie. this page - https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/forums/#/categories/board-games ) A gear icon appears next to the bookmark star. Clicking the gear Icon brings up a drop down list with a single link to “Edit”. However if you click this link you go to a permission denied page - https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/forums/#/DefaultPermission

There are two bugs here:

• The edit link coming up when you're not allowed (not a huge deal, just annoying; I know there are a number of edit feature requests)
  • The "Permission Problem" page has a broken background image. This appears for me on both Chrome & Firefox - http://i.imgur.com/S96Ooyk.png (again not at all an important issue, just a bit ugly)

PS. The auto html thing with the lists is very cool. :smile: