Home Videos Games Podcastle

Dragon Quest Builders Catch All

Hi friends!

Dragon Quest Builders 2 came out recently and I absolutely LOVE IT. I’ve easily sunk twenty hours in and still have so much left to explore. I wanted to see if any of you folks have been playing and make a space to enthusiastically share our creations.

I consider DQB to be an incredibly underrated title with so much more to offer than the general “It’s reskinned Minecraft” description it gets. The story mode playfully guides you through all the tools and recipes so that by the time you finish it and enter free build mode it really feels like you can build anything.

2 Likes

I liked Dragon Quest Builders 1 but lost momentum when they made me restart my base a couple of times. Is 2 better in this regard?

1 Like

There’s a main island that you’re continually building upon, but it does have that same loop of going to new places and building a new town from scratch.
I really enjoyed that loop though because I always find the initial planning/building stage of these kinds of crafting games the most fun. They did make it so you don’t have to rebuild after boss fights, and that’s great!

2 Likes

Are you playing on the Switch or PS4? I’ve heard about stuttery frame rates (not quite slide-show) for user created content.

I want to get my kid interested in something other than Minecraft, I was thinking this may be a good gateway into expanding his interests into other genres.

1 Like

I’m playing on Switch.
I’ve seen a couple frame rate drops, but nothing game breaking so far. It’s only really happened during scenes where big chunks of terrain are broken all at once during a fight or something. It’s always recovered fast enough that it didn’t impact me.

1 Like

I’ll need to check it out, maybe it can be a gateway into JRPGs, and then to the huge world of wonder of gaming in general.