Does the following or an approximation exist?
- Frontier setting, for example cowboys, space, or colonial/pirate
- Asymmetrical game where players are archetypal agents of such a setting, for example:
– The outlaw and marshall on either side of the law
– The vigilante out for revenge because the powers that be won’t help
– The small landowner/entrepreneur vs. empire-building land baron / corporation
- The transition of territory from wilderness to frontier to tamed due to spread of colonists and technology (e.g., railroads and telegraphs in a cowboy setting)
For example, imagine a Firefly-like setting where some players are ships captains who can ferry trade, become pirates, or hunt bounties; or players can start local industries dependent on interplanetary trade and trying to stay afloat; meanwhile the spread of fast, policed hyperspace lanes means the frontier is shrinking but the reach of the unsympathetic central government is expanding.